AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to do my homework here to make a AVR upgrade. I am very much hoping you can all help me decide. I "think" I'm down to either a Onkyo nr809 or a Pioneer VSX-1121. They are both selling on Amazon for slightly under $700.

My current set-up is a modest system but it serves my needs well, mainly jazz and classic rock vinly and CDs, music videos, and movies. No gaming. Installed in a 14X26' room with a cathedral ceiling it's a nice sounding room.
  • I have a 42inch Sony LCD HD-TV (due to get passed down to adult children soon pretty soon.)
  • VSX-1015tx AVR (pre HDMI)
  • Klipsch Synergy F3 mains, C2 center, S2 surrounds, Synergy 12' sub
  • Comcast Digital DVR
  • Pioneer DVD/SCAD DV-578A
  • Sony dual head Cassette deck
  • Dual 1257 Turntable with Ortofon cartridge

I am looking to upgrade to finally get a Blu-ray player and get HDMI to clean up the cables. Also move to an internet enabled receiver to take advantage of Pandora and Netflix online.

While I'm at it I might as well get an upgrade with a bit more power. The VSX-1015 seldom gets really taxed, but occasionally i might like to CRANK IT UP a bit.

I love the MCACC that I currently have with my Pioneer. it balances my room great and is user friendly. If I go with the nr809 is the Audessy just as good? I'm also a bit concerned about the heat generated (I've read) by the nr809. I have the components installed in 5 foot tall glass door front enclosure, with an open rear. I can easily install a small muffin fan back there to pull hot air out if I have to. Will I need to do that with either the Pioneer or Onkyo?

Any other ups or downs of either of these units? other recommended units in this price range to confuse me more?

How about suggestions for a BD player that also supports SCAD and CDs?

Am I totally off base with my down selected choices?

Thanks for your advice and info.

Steve L

Ashby Ma.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Onkyo 809 all the way. If you like Internet radio you not only get Pandora, which imho is WAY better than Sirius but you will get V-Tuner. V-Tuner is close to if not more than 1,000 internet radio stations from ALL over the world. But check the specs of the Onkyo compared to the Pioneer. I like that extra head room with the Onkyo (dynamic power). And if the Onkyo is anything like my Integra, you will be running on 6ohms not 8.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/VSX-1121-K

Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/20826731

Onkyo 809 all the way. If you like Internet radio you not only get Pandora, which imho is WAY better than Sirius but you will get V-Tuner. V-Tuner is close to if not more than 1,000 internet radio stations from ALL over the world. But check the specs of the Onkyo compared to the Pioneer. I like that extra head room with the Onkyo (dynamic power). And if the Onkyo is anything like my Integra, you will be running on 6ohms not 8.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the reply. Yes, the added headroom of the 809 is the initial attraction. I like my Music Videos at high volume, and with content such as SRV at Montreaux, or Clapton's Guitar festival I know the extra power will help with the high volume. I'm also hoping I may actually hear a difference at lower less taxing volume, but I'm not sure on that.

I'm hopefull that Audessy with be as good at room balancing as MCACC.

I've seen notes about the 709 running hot, but other notes say the 809 runs much cooler. Not a big worry for me.

I'm not an iPod or iTunes guy, so I could care less about this.

Looking forward to lots of Internet streaming.

Oh no, is my retirement fund now going to disappear entirely because I have "upgrade-itis"!?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/20826731

Jeff

Can you say more about 6ohms, not 8 statement?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20828635

Costco has the pioneer sc-35 for $749. It's a much better receiver than the Onkyo.

Hello,

The 35 is a wonderful deal, but I do not think it is leaps and bounds better. The 809 has superior Video Processing using both the Qdeo that the Pioneer offers as well as HQV Vida.

Moreover, the TX-NR609 was just Bench Tested and really did quite well in respect to Amplifier Power and the 809 has an even stronger Amplifier Stage.

Moreover, I do think Audyssey MultEQ XT offers better all around performance than Pioneer's proprietary MCACC.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
6,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20828666

Hello,

The 35 is a wonderful deal, but I do not think it is leaps and bounds better. The 809 has superior Video Processing using both the Qdeo that the Pioneer offers as well as HQV Vida.

Moreover, the TX-NR609 was just Bench Tested and really did quite well in respect to Amplifier Power and the 809 has an even stronger Amplifier Stage.

Moreover, I do think Audyssey MultEQ XT offers better all around performance than Pioneer's proprietary MCACC.

Cheers,

AD

Watching video with a comcast DVR and blu-ray on a new TV will not require any video processing. I would use HDMI passthrough to purposely not use it.

The 35 has class D ICE amps. Whether or not this is better than what Onkyo has to offer is debateable, but in my opinion, it's a no brainer that the 35 has much better amps than the Onkyo.

Couple this with Onkyos sketchy reliability over the past few years, particularly with HDMI, and to me it's a no brainer to pick the pioneer. The MSRP on the pioneer is $1600. It's discounted while supplies last because it's replaced with a newer model.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1949 /forum/post/20827644

I'm hopefull that Audessy with be as good at room balancing as MCACC.

I liked Audyssey better than MCACC in my system but you lose the ability to customize the EQ curves so if you like to tweak the sound a lot I would stay with a Pioneer. If I didn't just get a Denon 3311 I would strongly consider the SC35 as well. I do like that Audyssey will EQ a subwoofer while MCACC will not so that is one bid advantage for Audyssey. As far as balance I would say they both do a good job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.