AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer VSX1017-TXV but I need to replace it. I have a Bose Acustimass 16 series also and a Tivo XL4 which is on it's way as we speak. My current receiver and TiVo series 3 will be going with my soon to be ex, so I am in the market for a new receiver that will work well with the Bose, Tivo, Samsung Blu-ray and Samsung DLP HDTV. Problem is, I know practically noting about them except how they have advanced over the years with things like being able to stream audio from your iPhone or other similar device, to access to Pandora and Spotify. Also airplay and some have built in Wi-fi......

I don't think I need more then 60-70W per channel? Because my Bose system has 5 double cube and 1 center speaker, do I need a 7.1 channel receiver? My DLP Samsung HDTV is fairly old in TV years. Going on 9 years I believe. I have a HDMI switch, but I would like at least 5 HDMI inputs on the new receiver for connecting the Tivo, Samsung Blu-ray, other HD cable box, and eventually, I will get a gaming system since my ex also took his PS3. I read a lot about built in Wi-fi not being necessary. Is that true? I do have a direct connect ethernet, so I can just that if I have to. Or buy a dongle?

I was looking at the Denon AVR-1913 7.1. I saw it on ebay for under $300. I really don't want to spend more the $400 for a receiver, but again, I am trying to make an educated decision. I appreciate your help

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Pretty much any Denon would work fine. If you get a 7.1 receiver you have the option of only using 6 speakers. You would use both side surround channels and just the surround back left channel for the 6th speaker.

You won’t get a warranty buying off eBay so you might want to try some other places. Accessories for less has a refurbished 1913 that comes with a warranty for a pretty good price. You can also try calling around to some places like Electronics Expo to get the cheapest price.

Here is the link for A4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1913/DENON-AVR-1913-7.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023  /t/1470669/please-help-me-decide#post_23263203

Pretty much any Denon would work fine. If you get a 7.1 receiver you have the option of only using 6 speakers. You would use both side surround channels and just the surround back left channel for the 6th speaker.

You won’t get a warranty buying off eBay so you might want to try some other places. Accessories for less has a refurbished 1913 that comes with a warranty for a pretty good price. You can also try calling around to some places like Electronics Expo to get the cheapest price.

Here is the link for A4L
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1913/DENON-AVR-1913-7.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html
I'm not sure if I understand how the 7.1 vs. speaker set up works, but as long as I don't need more the 7.1 for the Bose, then it sounds like that would work. Is the Denon a good choice? I mean I know there are a lot of brands out there that are similar. I need something easy to use/figure out and something good quality too without breaking the bank. I know a receiver is typically a long term investment, but I can't spend that kind of money now. I would rather get something used that is of better quality then something new with so-so quality. I see a lot of reviews speaking highly of Denon. Is this model going to be considered out dated soon? I just wonder what, if any, other advances have been made that would make my user experience worth spending extra on? Thanks for the link. I also see where Denon sells refurbs around the same price, but I can't tell if it comes with a manufacturer warranty or not.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The e400 is the replacement for the 1913 and I don't see any must have features that it has over the 1913. I have no idea what will come out in the next few years but the 1913 shouldn't be outdated anytime soon. I personally have had 3 denons in a row and I love them. Honestly the weak point of your system will be the Bose. The bass module makes setup a lot different than normal speakers. I know it says to run the cubes off the bass module so you would set the speakes to large and not use the crossover in the denon. I guess you can still run audyssey after that.

·
Premium Member
93,175 Posts
Give your ex the Bose speakers as well and buy yourself a new 5.1 speaker setup .... if low on funds consider the following which are the Monoprice brand of the "Energy Take 5.1" speaker setup.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=9774&CAWELAID=1642113809&catargetid=320013720000011285&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNjL1Pig9rYCFek7OgodUB8AlQ

Also to keep overall costs down, consider the Denon 1613 on clearance now. Give AVS sales (avscience.com) and Electronics Expo a "call" to see what kind of deal they can offer you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.