AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a first time poster who has learned quite a bit from these forums and appreciate the time members put in assisting new comers. Anyway here is my dilemma after doing much research:

I have been looking for any of the older Jamo towers that are higher up than the S606 such as the S608, E680, and E770 but can't seem to find them for sale anywhere online. (Also I saw the E770 on Vanns on clearance for $95 earlier today but can't find them now)

I wanted to build a setup with the E770s, E8CEN.2, and E700 bookshelves and wondered how much better this would sound over the S606. I also am getting the E700 bookshelves for $56 each shipped so would that be a good deal? I figured I can build the above E770 package for less than the S606 package on vanns.

As is customary on this forum here are some additional details of where I will put this system and what I am looking for.

The room's dimension is 13x15x8. It has laminate floors and a bunch of windows all around 3 walls. I will use the system 70/30 in HT/Music. I am not sure how the windows or laminate floors will affect sound but hope someone can shed some light on this as well. Also if anyone can recommend whether a floor standing system will work well in this size room. I was originally going to go with a satellite system such as the ML MLT 2 but after spending many hours browsing this forum I realize that I could get better sound with a legitimate speaker package such as the Jamos.

Thanks

(Note: I have not been able to audition any of the Jamo speakers since I don't have a retailer nearby and am going solely by reviews and specs)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello, my room dimensions are larger than yours but the physical setup may be similar to yours (lots of windows, including skylights etc around 3 walls - I have wood floor). I'm sure afrogt will chime in here, I can tell you that reflections will be a problem. If it is possible you may need to use traps to create a reflection-free zone (or close to it). My setup is a 5.1 setup with Jamo Concert 807s (front), C80 surrounds, C80 sub and S60 center (instead of the C80 center since it does not fit in my entertainment center cubbyhole). I relied on heavy curtains to kill some of the reflections since room aesthetics were very important, and pushed the front speakers as far from the back wall as I could without the appearance of intrusion into the room.

I prefer floorstanders to the sat/sub setup...I believe they may work better in your case as well, however you may have to do a little bit of trial and error for speaker positioning.

I recently upgraded to the Concerts from Jamo 680s and 660s (Dark Apple), including a Sub300. I was very happy with the setup; my room dimensions and sound flow-over into two other large areas due to an open floor plan necessitated a beefier setup, with neutral imaging, hence I decided to upgrade. If you are in the NoVA/DC/MD areas, we could work a deal if you are so inclined - the older setup is for sale in showroom condition, no scratches whatsoever and used very sparingly, primarily for music.

Hope this helps. If you need any other assistance, please PM me. I may not reply immediately, but will try to help as possible. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts