AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audioholics seems to love to pimp their EMP brand that is listed as MSRB $2,254 and selling for $699. I'm not even looking for 7.1 (5.1 would be just fine--but they have the same 5.1 system for $629, so a few bucks more for 2 more surrounds seems like a no brainer). I'm plenty willing to go the used route. Auditioning speaker systems seems to be a problem, as things tend to go with internet brands (I think these guys may be in Utah or something) and these EMP speakers haven't had glowing professional reviews when rated near their MSRP price, but I'm wondering if they are a deal for $699 or if I should keep shopping around and try used or build up from 3.1 and then add more when budget permits. If these are decent, I can move them to the bedroom when the upgrade bug hits. I realize that this post is pretty noobish. I have a gnarly headache trying to figure out the best bang for my ($1000ish) buck(s) and really would appreciate some imput.

Here is the deal: http://store.audioholics.com/product...speaker-system

I'm assuming that I'm gonna get a much bigger, fuller sound out of the EMP's than I would out of, say,
Boston Acoustics Home Theater System that I can get w/ gift certificates that I have, or
anything else available at Onecall.com.

This will be 85% Blu-Ray & TV HT, 15% music. No Receiver yet, whatever $700ish in gift certificates will get me at OneCall.com's limited selection will have to do. Carpet in a living room with normal ceiling-- the room is a decent size since it is attached to the kitchen and foyer. I'm more concerned with sounding great than a small footprint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I searched the forums, I found few useful reviews of EMP speakers. Below is a link to my review of an EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System (bookshelf)(list $1319, sale $489). (I am no expert, but at least the review is something to think about.) After hearing it, I think it is probably competitive at it's retail price and definitively is a great value on sale (60% off limited time). Where else can you get an enthuiast quality 5.1 speaker system for $489? Reviewed in conjunction with the Onkyo 606 receiver's Audyssey system, the subwoofer was smoothly integrated into overall speaker system so that the bookshelf speakers worked out fine in a large room without the need for towers. (The comparable 351T tower system now appears to be back up to full retail at $1870.)

EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System /Onkyo 606 Receiver Review

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=51036

As of 1/3/08 at the posted time this system was still available on sale at the Audioholics's store in the link below:

http://store.audioholics.com/product...speaker-system

I thought the subwoofer was worth the system price by itself (In perspective, I have got an SVS PB12+2 subwoofer - this system was for my brother). There are a lot of possibilities at this price and not much money to risk. You could probably use the system for awhile and sell it to a friend or relative for what you paid or more. Also there is a 14 day return policy.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You have to take everyone's review and recommendations with a grain of salt. Especially someone's review about a speaker they sell. To me that's more of a sales pitch than review....I know a little about sales (10 yrs experience). Even when people means well, they are still bias.

I have nothing to say against EMP because I haven't heard them. All I can do is point you to other options....the rest is up to you to audition them.

Frys often have their Infinity 362 and Polk Rti8 on sale. Definately good for the money you paid for them at retail....but on sale....I can't argue.

Check out the Acculine as well:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/manuf...0db7e9f37d9ec7

There were a ton of speakers on sale from Black Friday to Xmas but you missed it. There were some very, very awesome deals like buying a whole 5.0 package for the same price as buying the two front speakers.

If you are patient, sales do come again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit9 /forum/post/15445956

When I searched the forums, I found few useful reviews of EMP speakers. Below is a link to my review of an EMP HTP-351 5.1 Speaker System (bookshelf)(list $1319, sale $489). (I am no expert, but at least the review is something to think about.)

Thanks. I'd read your review. I am wondering if anyone else has had much luck with this slightly beefier system that I linked to. MSRP on these things seems ridiculously high, but I've learned to be wary of such things, as they are often just marketing ploys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/15447166

You have to take everyone's review and recommendations with a grain of salt. Especially someone's review about a speaker they sell. To me that's more of a sales pitch than review....

Again, 60% off or whatever seems very fishy to me, and I'm trying to figure out if these things are a bargain or a sales pitch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.