AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, unfortunately I had another knock on my door last night from next door neighbour complaining that his house was shaking. I think he's being slightly too precious, it was barely 8pm and volume was at a very moderate level, and subs (there's 2x) are both set to minus 14db. I've already tried as much sound proofing and de-coupling, so now I have no choice but a combination of further lowering volumes, but I'm hoping that someone can please provide advice on how to level off the lowest frequencies below, I assume 30 or 40hz which I suspect are really causing the issues here since my previous subs didn't seem to cause any issues at similar volumes.

It really bugs me out - I've dreamt of having this gear for many decades and now I finally have it, I can't even come close to unleashing it. It's also really killed my enthusiasm watching movies hoping I'm not going to upset my neighbour. There's around a 9 metre gap between our houses.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Move to Europe. Houses here are all concrete bunkers. Turn everything up to 11 and your neighbours won't even notice!

If you wanna stay where you are, choices are building a brick wall inside your room or moving the HT to the basement. Or turning it down further.
If you just wanna attenuate the sub 40Hz response get a miniDsp 2x4HD and add a low-shelf.

I'm wondering what your houses are made from, if even such a small subwoofer can shake your neighbours house.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering what your houses are made from, if even such a small subwoofer can shake your neighbours house.
Colour bond steel (very popular here in Australia) and the exterior wall of home theatre is rendered brick. I suspect the bass just travels down the brick into the concrete foundations and then next door.

Unfortunately I can't do any additional construction work and I don't want bad relations with neighbours. I just need to tame the lowest of the low frequencies which will allow me to retain some level of volume.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,889 Posts
Hi all, unfortunately I had another knock on my door last night from next door neighbour complaining that his house was shaking. I think he's being slightly too precious, it was barely 8pm and volume was at a very moderate level, and subs are set to minus 14db. I've already tried as much sound proofing and de-coupling, so now I have no choice but a combination of further lowering volumes, but I'm hoping that someone can please provide advice on how to level off the lowest frequencies below, I assume 30 or 40hz which I suspect are really causing the issues here since my previous subs didn't seem to cause any issues at similar volumes.

It really bugs me out - I've dreamt of having this gear for many decades and now I finally have it, I can't even come close to unleashing it. It's also really killed my enthusiasm watching movies hoping I'm not going to upset my neighbour. There's around a 9 metre gap between our houses.

Hi Benjamin,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your neighbor. As you suggest, he may be a little bit unreasonable. If you wanted to challenge him on this, your local noise ordinances would almost surely be on your side. You could measure your noise level outside your house if you wanted to go that way. Your neighbor would have to demonstrate that the noise level were at a certain volume at a certain distance outside your house, or inside his. Hint: it won't be, and the noise ordinances don't specify frequencies.

Assuming that you want to accommodate him instead of challenging the stance he is taking, I will make some suggestions without really having all the information I need. First, if you have Audyssey, try turning off DEQ, or using a high RLO setting, such as -10. Second, you can also make sure your subs ( I think you implied you have two) are set for the Standard mode, rather than the Extended mode. That will make them roll-off below 20Hz.

Third, you can use the PB4000s's PEQ to set a high pass filter. I believe there is a pre-programmed HPF at about 25Hz. If not, or if you need to set a little higher one, you can check with SVS on the easiest way to do that. Setting a HPF will cause your subwoofer to roll-off a little above that frequency.

Of course, you can also try operating your subwoofers in the sealed mode. They will roll-off naturally that way, below about 35Hz, but will remain strong for frequencies above that. As you surmise, it is the lowest frequencies that travel the furthest, and which are probably causing your neighbor the most problems.

In your position, I would probably make some reasonable attempts to accommodate your neighbor, but I would also expect him to be reasonable, too. Do barking dogs, or kids playing loudly outside also bother him? What I wouldn't do is to allow him to completely rob me of my ability to enjoy my movies. To that end, I would consider the advice in the first paragraph, if whatever efforts you consider reasonable still don't satisfy him.

Good luck with this!

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Hi all, unfortunately I had another knock on my door last night from next door neighbour complaining that his house was shaking. I think he's being slightly too precious, it was barely 8pm and volume was at a very moderate level, and subs (there's 2x) are both set to minus 14db. I've already tried as much sound proofing and de-coupling, so now I have no choice but a combination of further lowering volumes, but I'm hoping that someone can please provide advice on how to level off the lowest frequencies below, I assume 30 or 40hz which I suspect are really causing the issues here since my previous subs didn't seem to cause any issues at similar volumes.

What volume level are you listening at? What volume levels do you have set on the subwoofers themselves? If you're that concerned, it could just be a matter of turning the volume down, particularly on the subwoofers.

Honestly, though, at 8pm your neighbour has no business knocking on your door since I imagine that is well within any local by-law as far as noise goes. And at 9 metres apart, I am highly skeptical that your neighbour is actually feeling any effects from your sound system unless the outer walls of houses where you are are made out of old newspapers?

Reactions: Mike Butny

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As you suggest, he may be a little bit unreasonable. If you wanted to challenge him on this, your local noise ordinances would almost surely be on your side. You could measure your noise level outside your house if you wanted to go that way. Your neighbor would have to demonstrate that the noise level were at a certain volume at a certain distance outside your house, or inside his. Hint: it won't be, and the noise ordinances don't specify frequencies.
Thanks Mike, and appreciate the suggestions. Residential noise guidelines are governed by the state I live in (Tasmania), and are pretty open-ended. I would like to accommodate him where at all possible. I don't like unnecessary conflict.

First, if you have Audyssey, try turning off DEQ, or using a high RLO setting, such as -10. Second, you can also make sure your subs ( I think you implied you have two) are set for the Standard mode, rather than the Extended mode. That will make them roll-off below 20Hz.
Yes - I have Audyssey in my Denon X6200, so I will check this tonight.

Third, you can use the PB4000s's PEQ to set a high pass filter. I believe there is a pre-programmed HPF at about 25Hz. If not, or if you need to set a little higher one, you can check with SVS on the easiest way to do that. Setting a HPF will cause your subwoofer to roll-off a little above that frequency. Of course, you can also try operating your subwoofers in the sealed mode. They will roll-off naturally that way, below about 35Hz, but will remain strong for frequencies above that.
Yes, it's already operating in sealed mode. In the SVS app PEQ, would you suggest I try lowering 45Hz by say 5db, with a Q factor of 2?

Do barking dogs, or kids playing loudly outside also bother him?
Yes, he's yelled a few times at our little Shetland Sheepdog. He's actually a pretty decent guy - I've talked to him quite a few times and ran a few subwoofer tests with his assistance to see what levels are objectionable, but it does seem that the friendship is going downhill.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What volume level are you listening at? What volume levels do you have set on the subwoofers themselves? If you're that concerned, it could just be a matter of turning the volume down, particularly on the subwoofers.
I normally have the Denon X6200 set to around -12db and the subs to -14db. Lowering volume of the subs results in generally poor bass, which is why I'd like to keep the current volume but just taper off the lowest of the low frequencies.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Let the friendship go downhill...enjoy what you paid good money for...turn it up a little bit...he will move sooner or later!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Sorry to hear this,,, i have the same problem except my neighbor will get pissed off at 2 in the afternoon with MV at just -26 listening to music, never mind trying to enjoy an evening movie which never happens,,,just Brutal. So i have a for sale sign up now, before i get myself into trouble as ive been pissed off for well over a year and one more incident may have bad results for me legally.

One other option thats simple to do is,, in your avr you should have a LFC setting (Low Frequency Containment) mine gives me four levels of containment. Now i'd have to dig further on just how much LFE is contained but with four level options is worth a try. Good luck.

Edit

One other option you could consider is putting your subs (close range) right behind your MLP for example. You would get more bass and tactile feel while been able to reduce their output to achieve this. Just a thought.

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sometimes these kinds of issues are caused by resonances, in buildings walls etc, rather than by the direct sound traveling through. With resonances it can take a surprisingly little amount of energy to excite them and cause unwanted vibrations and sound in even fairly far away places.

I have never tried this but I have been theorizing recently that if it were only one or two specific frequencies exciting the resonances, you could use a PEQ high Q notch filter to cut out only the frequencies causing the problem, this would compromise your system some but would be a lot less compromise than chopping out all the bass or larger portions of it, if there are times you know they are away you can always turn the filters off when not needed. If your still on friendly enough terms with the complainee you could work together by using a frequency generator to zero in on the worst frequencies for them, just don't run continuous tones through the subs for too long at high levels, as this is not good for them, but if the complaints are happening at low levels it shouldn't take much. At least you would find out quickly if its a resonance related issue that might be able to be helped with some notch filters or if its a direct sound transmission issue, if its direct then they will hear/feel the bass through the whole bass sweep.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
You could try using transducers like the Buttkickers for tactile feel for bass, that way you can run your subs a little quieter and still make good use of them.

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
777 Posts
Linked below is an interesting article on tests performed measuring sound loss through walls based on frequency. The most interesting items are figures 8&9 and section 4(discussion). Long story short, 15-30 hz is the problem area, and it mentions that range inducing floor vibrations in particular. My room is on a floating wood floor(room below), and 20hz even at 105db causes the room to shake like crazy.

There's been a lot of anecdotal evidence on this forum supporting the study, people going from ported to sealed and the results regarding neighborly relations(sealed much better in that regard). I like Nathan's idea, but I suspect you're going to have to neuter your sub 30hz output, maybe in addition to targeted cuts.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022460X17301207

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I normally have the Denon X6200 set to around -12db and the subs to -14db. Lowering volume of the subs results in generally poor bass, which is why I'd like to keep the current volume but just taper off the lowest of the low frequencies.
-12dB Master Volume on the AVR is quite loud - how big is the space you're in? How far do you sit from the speakers? -14dB on the subs doesn't make much sense to me, unfortunately - whereabouts in the range is that on that particular subwoofer? When you run Audyssey, what does it set the trim for your subwoofers at? What do you define as "generally poor bass"? Given what you set as your AVR's MV level while watching movies, I think it would take one heck of a drop in the sub's volume to result in any amount of poor bass.

When you ran those tests with your neighbour to find out what was objectionable, was he fine with the levels at that time?

People that unreasonably complain grind my gears - speaking as someone with an unreasonable neighbour below me that once complained about us using exercise equipment at 4am... even though we don't even have exercise equipment, nor would we have been up at that time to begin with - it was the pipes in the building periodically thumping for a short length of time if someone in any given unit turned their faucet on or flushed the toilet... She also complained that we dumped sawdust on her balcony even though we don't have power equipment - it was a tenant two floors above us that was renovating, and some sawdust from whatever he was working on drifted down onto her patio... It really sounds like the issue is more him than you.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Enable the room gain comp in the menu. This control is essentially high pass filter with a variable frequency and slope. You have 3 frequency choices and 3 slopes - so 6 combinations total:

• 40 Hz 6 or 12
  • 32 Hz 6 or 12
  • 25 Hz 6 or 12
Experiment with the settings to obtain the best combination - but you'll really be able to scrub-off a considerable amount of low-end energy with this feature, which in turn will minimize neighbor complaints.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks all for the suggestions. Taking mthomas47I's advice I set a PEQ on both subs and put The Incredible Hulk 4K on chapter repeat at my reference level (-18db on the Denon, not -12 as I indicated earlier) during the final battle sequence and engaged the neighbour. We both acknowledged there was audible sound leakage standing right outside my house, but was heavily minimised outside his house and not audible inside. So it looks like that PEQ adjustment has helped and I'm hoping my attempts to rectify the situation will make him slightly more reasonable.

I do think dpc716 is on to something as well, I suspect that my home material is causing some resonance. More research is necessary.

Fingers crosses this is the last of it and I can go back to enjoying movie night again. Again, thanks all for your help. Very grateful to the community here.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions. Taking mthomas47I's advice I set a PEQ on both subs and put The Incredible Hulk 4K on chapter repeat at my reference level (-18db on the Denon, not -12 as I indicated earlier) during the final battle sequence and engaged the neighbour. We both acknowledged there was audible sound leakage standing right outside my house, but was heavily minimised outside his house and not audible inside. So it looks like that PEQ adjustment has helped and I'm hoping my attempts to rectify the situation will make him slightly more reasonable.

I do think dpc716 is on to something as well, I suspect that my home material is causing some resonance. More research is necessary.

Fingers crosses this is the last of it and I can go back to enjoying movie night again. Again, thanks all for your help. Very grateful to the community here.
Hi Benjamin,

Unfortunately bass frequencies, can travel a long way. But thankfully it seem you and your next door neighbour, did found a good compromise.
That said, if you like to get more tactile feels done from lower bass frequencies. At your sitting position/s you can always add some TT (Tactile Transducer);
Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide
As mention by @Jawaburger in a previous reply.

I also like the post from @indebtbassfreak suggesting near your seating arrangement. But more for mid bass feeling, other wise know as "in your chest, guns shot and so on...". Since deep bass can travel a long way, you can have both. The TT for ULF while keeping your present settings, and near field sub for that extra punch.

Darth

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Get a SubDude or the Isolation feet from SVS to de-couple the sub from the floor. Depending on how the sound is being transmitted to your neighbor, this solution may improve the situation. Otherwise, put the subs nearfield, so you get the maximum dBs with the least gain. Also, add some transducers to your chair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts