AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched but can't find a 60" with either technology. A 65" screen is too large and 55" is too small. If anyone can tell me if a 60" TV is made with OLED or QLED and where I could find it in the U.S. I'd be very appreciative..

TIA...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You beat me to it ;) . I just found that link and was going to post it.
At least you seem to have 58”-60” offerings with LCD technology: The 4 Best 60 Inch 4k TVs - Spring 2021: Reviews
Thanks I've seen those.. All are 58" screens. And none are OLED. I have an older Samsung 60" plasma and wanted to upgrade the technology, but not downsize the screen size. It may be there are no 60" (exactly) OLED models of any brand. That's why I asked. Thanks again for the search.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'd probably be interested in a 60" myself if they existed, but I'm not sure why you're so determined not to go from a ~60" 1080p TV to a 64.5" 2160p TV. That's not a huge jump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd probably be interested in a 60" myself if they existed, but I'm not sure why you're so determined not to go from a ~60" 1080p TV to a 64.5" 2160p TV. That's not a huge jump.
It's the size of the room and my distance from the screen (about 8 feet). But if they really don't exist, I might have to I guess.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's the size of the room and my distance from the screen (about 8 feet). But if they really don't exist, I might have to I guess.
8' is pretty far from a 65" 4K TV. FWIW, I'm sure that most of us here would rather have a 77" from that distance. And in terms of physical size, a 65" OLED is ~57" wide, which is probably not a lot different from your 60" plasma.

·
Registered
510 Posts
8' is pretty far from a 65" 4K TV. FWIW, I'm sure that most of us here would rather have a 77" from that distance. And in terms of physical size, a 65" OLED is ~57" wide, which is probably not a lot different from your 60" plasma.
Yeah, 65 inches at 8 feet is only 32.9 degrees of horizontal angle. That's actually too low for my tastes.

77 is 38.5, which is now a touch high for my tastes. But if those were my choice, I would go 77. I note 75 would be 37.6, and that would definitely be good for me.

60 would be only 30.5. Way too low for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.. that's helpful to know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, 65 inches at 8 feet is only 32.9 degrees of horizontal angle. That's actually too low for my tastes.

77 is 38.5, which is now a touch high for my tastes. But if those were my choice, I would go 77. I note 75 would be 37.6, and that would definitely be good for me.

60 would be only 30.5. Way too low for me.
Viewing angle is not an issue for me as I'm facing the screen directly in front. Thanks tho.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Viewing angle is not an issue for me as I'm facing the screen directly in front. Thanks tho.
That's not offset angle, that is horizontal field of view. See, for example, here:

My two cents is figuring out your target field of view range is the best way of then figuring out what TV-size/distance combination to set up.

As always with such things, it really comes down to personal preference. But I think a good starting point is THX's home theater recommended distance range of 36-40 degrees. If you haven't tried watching a decent 4K TV in that range, you definitely should.

At 8 feet, 36 degrees is 71.6 inches, and 40 degrees is 80.1 inches (diagonal on a 16:9). So that would be the target size range for someone trying to be in that 36-40 THX Home Theater range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's not offset angle, that is horizontal field of view. See, for example, here:

My two cents is figuring out your target field of view range is the best way of then figuring out what TV-size/distance combination to set up.

As always with such things, it really comes down to personal preference. But I think a good starting point is THX's home theater recommended distance range of 36-40 degrees. If you haven't tried watching a decent 4K TV in that range, you definitely should.

At 8 feet, 36 degrees is 71.6 inches, and 40 degrees is 80.1 inches (diagonal on a 16:9). So that would be the target size range for someone trying to be in that 36-40 THX Home Theater range.
I thought there wasn't gonna be any math! lol I really feel stupid now. Are you saying I should be viewing a 65" screen from the side if I'm 8 feet away instead of directly in front from 8 feet away?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I thought there wasn't gonna be any math! lol I really feel stupid now. Are you saying I should be viewing a 65" screen from the side if I'm 8 feet away instead of directly in front from 8 feet away?
No. He's talking about how much of your field of vision is being taken up by the screen. When TV screen resolution was low, viewing distance was largely dictated by how close you could sit before the low resolution of the screen became problematic. With screen resolution now at 4K or 8K, you can (with good source material) approach viewing distance more from a standpoint of preferred viewing angle. A 60 - 65" TV from 8' away is not very immersive, and at a relatively high resolution like 4K, you can certainly be closer to a screen that size without the resolution being a problem. I'm never more than ~6.5' from a 55" screen, sometimes less, and I'm planning to replace it with a 65". Even with a 1080p TV, I'd personally want something around a 40 degree viewing angle. From your 8' viewing distance, that would be an 80" TV.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Seems a 60' screeen is about done these days. 55 or 65" is the norm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With the right output signal at 8 feet you can easily go with 75" ;)

Current norm sizes are:

48" 55" 65" 75" (77" OLED) 83" (85" LCD)

·
Registered
726 Posts
8 feet is actually the recommended distance for a 65in set at 1080p. That was the viewing distance I was using for my 65in plasma, and the 65in CX OLED that I'm about to swap for the 77in.

So yeah, i was 8 feet from a 65in CX, and all I've been able to think about since I got it is that I wish I had gotten the 77in lol.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts