AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I'm new and a visio nut. Spells trouble, yep.

Well, got to lurking again (about time to really finish the basement and really and truly purchase my goods) - and I started to actually THINK about how this would all go about being done.

(Scratches head). This stuff is CONFUSING!

Well, my best efforts from a couple of weeks of re-thinking and reviewing what I knew and didn't know.

BTW - I'm also going to lean towards GIRDER on the actual HTPC and MainLobby on the tablet PC I'll use to couch-command this baby.

Phew! I'm excited. Anyhow ---

Here lies a VISIO (turned JPEG) for your discernment.

My goal is simple - have the HTPC process every possible AV signal and -- well, improve it I suppose. Questions:

(1) What am I missing?

(2) What connectivity issues do I not see here?

Thanks All! I really appreciate this forum and it's members. Hope I can contribute sometime soon with some intelligence from the battlefield.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Drop the crappy Audigy 2. No use if you are getting an Maudio unless you really must have EAX for games.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed. I thought the SB products were really just for gamers - and honestly, I'm doing probably limited gaming on that machine.

What is required for DirectX Sound? Will any of the 'higher end' sound cards provide this functionality?

Although I won't - as I stated - be playing Q3 on my sony, I probably might do that once in a while, or possibly play a flight sim, etc.

What, then are my options?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the observations I'm seeing about the new M-Audio, I'm guessing an SB Audigy is overkill at this point.

Anyone disagree?

·
Registered
686 Posts
yep, nabsltd is right. Only SDTV can go through Dscaler, HDTV is scaled by the HiDef Tuner or graphics card (Radeon).

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm not really sure about your capture card, but if it has any kind of PVR type capability for SD stuff off directv you might consider not switching the video and audio inputs through your Denon. Reason being: You won't be able to record SD stuff off of Directv and at the same time watch a VHS tape or listen to FM radio.

Of course if you are limited by the number of inputs to your HTPC...

--Karl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.