AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through the steps in the how to in the other thread to verify all services are on. This worked for me once before. But since reinstalling windows and sp3. I am going insane trying to get sharing working.

In windows media player 11 I can see the 360, its set to share my media with the 360.

I cannot get my 360 to see my pc though!

I have no software firewall. I only have a router and its firewall is all. I disabled my anti virus, spyware for now.

In the how to thread it also mentions if you did another install of windows to remove all drm files, I did that except it wont let me delete drmstore.hds file. Says its in use, I dont know if thats a problem?

I am a newb when it comes to routers, and even when I turned the router firewall off, nothing changed.

Also I keep reading that certain ports are to be open. Im not sure in my router setup how to open ports? I have a WRT54GC linksys. Its a compact wireless G model, all my equipment is wired, their is no wireless. I never had to open ports before, so I dont think I would now, even though I dont really know how that works on my router setup.

PLease can anyone offer suggestion, things to try.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The only advice I can give is the exact same advice I gave in your other thread, but that was for certain Netgear routers, not Linksys.

If you have MAC address cloning turned on in your router, try turning it off. It can't hurt to try.

B.T.W., creating a new thread asking the same question again won't get you any different answers....

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
make sure upnp is enabled on the router. I'm assuming the xbox can see live? Make sure media sharing is turned on if you are using mp11.

Or, get tversity, google it. It'll make the changes for you.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, yest upnp is enabled on my router, no problems connecting to xbox live.

It still has me baffled, will see what tversity can do, but I would like to get this going without having to install additional software, it just makes no sense. It worked before i reinstalled windows, I did everything in the how to, turned all services to on. The only step i could not do, was delete that one drm file that says its in use, i wonder if thats the entire problem?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
is Upnp enabled on your pc? I had to do that on mine. And it was beyond making sure network discovery was enabled in network settings. I had to go into "My Computer" and there was some detail setting in there for Upnp. Once I did that I was able to connect.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill check, i was able to delete the drm file like the how to guide suggested finally. I deleted everything in it, and the folder itself.

It seems when i go to connect, its connecting to my pc, but it cant find it, it just says pc not listed.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you be more specific where in my computer you seen this.

I did start upnp where i went to run, then typed services.msc and then started upnp like the how to mentioned. Not sure if its the same as the my computer setting you were talking about.

This just has me stunned, I have done everything, and used to work, all i did was reformat my pc and reinstall windows and now it refuses to work.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tversity showed up right away, but i really have no use for it, and would really just like it to work with wmp, i dont know why it wont detect wmp.

Should I reinstall windows media player 11?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe using tversity is not so bad, does this thing take up more cpu resources then wmp sharing network? I just dont like adding programs to my cpu, but if its not going to take up any extra resources then wmpnetwork would, i mine as well stick with it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am having a similar issue. Reinstalled operating system and I can not get media sharing to work.

I have windows XP sp3. I have Windows Media Player 11. It detects the xbox 360 and I have it enabled to share. But my 360 will not detect it. I have another PC on the network that it detects fine.

Not sure how it can detect one PC and not the other. Doesnt seem like a network issue but what could be causing it to not detect on PC and detect it fine on the other PC on the same network?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I tried it. Still not working.

I just wish there was a straight forward way to trouble shoot this issue. If there was somewhere that had a detailed way to examine how your computer was setup to determine why the 360 is not detecting it.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Did you have that error in your event log? If not then this solution will not help you.

Open your Application and System event logs and list out any errors you see. More than likely you will have an event log error that will point you to an exact solution.

The user interface has changed a lot since NT, but you still need to look at event logs (and logs in general) to fix issues with Microsoft products. Everyone seems to gloss over that nowadays.

Also, provide some basic information:

Network configuration: # subnets on your network, gateways between your 360 and PC, LAN or Wireless

PC: Windows Media Player version, Firewall software

·
Registered
688 Posts
Your right

I did check the event log and Windows Media Network sharing is getting an error.

When I look a the properties of the error this is what I see

A new media server was not initialized because RegisterRunningDevice() encountered error '0x80040500'. Restart your computer, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try going to the Xbox360 site and following their directions for connecting the 360 to the pc.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 /forum/post/17365840

Your right

A new media server was not initialized because RegisterRunningDevice() encountered error '0x80040500'. Restart your computer, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service.

To be clear, did you run that DRM update I linked as an administrator? If done correctly it actually starts an install program. Did you run that install? If you aren't logged in as the administrator, the button will click but nothing will happen...

Also, do you have a firewall product? If so, which one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts