AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I have been unhappy with Cox for a few months now and want to switch to D*. I have some questions.

I called them this am and they have a deal going on of 3 room install and dish included for free. The sales rep on the phone told me that I should get this deal, then go to BB or CC and buy a HD dish (receiver is obvious) and have the installer install this HD dish rather than the one that came with the deal. Does this sound right? BB. com says the HD dish should cost $99.

Here is the setup I have:

1 HD HT with HD cable box

1 RTV with dedicated digital cable box

2 bedroom tvs with direct cable hook ups.

So what I would want to do:

1 Samsung 160 box for the HD HT

1 of the free boxes for the RTV

remaining free boxes for the bedrooms.

Does this look right? Will the RTV control the cheapo free sat box?

Thanks for the help.

E. J.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
A little off the subject. Just my 2 cents....the Sony HD200 is a much nicer unit than the Sammy. I had both and returned the Sammy after comparing PQ along with other features.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't know what problems you were having with Cox, but I have been very happy with them here in Las Vegas. One thing you may not have considered: Do you realize that for each additional receiver, they will charge you an extra $5/month? Just thought I'd point that out, since that, along with the fact that I couldn't get locals then (they are available here now for another $5/month), was the reason I didn't switch. I don't mind spending money up front for equipment, but a recurring $5/month charge pisses me off. Especially since we have 6 tv's in our house. We probably could get by without 6 receivers, but then we would need to have multiple tv's running off of one box, with all the new wiring that would entail.

After investigating, we decided that we should just stick with cable.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baja, I will be using DVI, did you use that and still notice a difference?

mchurchm, Cox costs me about $30 more per month, the 1-100 channels have horrible PQ, and they only offer NBC and ABC as local HD channels? So in ord to get Fox and CBS, I would need a OTA box anyway. I pay $10/month for my HD box from Cox, plus $4 for the regular digital box. I pay $1/month for two remotes that I don't use. It took them 3 months to finally get my picture to a watchable level, and again, their prices are way to high.

So to pay $4 for a sat box is a wash, since I will own the HD box. Of course I have to buy that, but as I said, I have to buy one anyway to get all the networks.

So that is the reason for the switch. I have to assume from the lack of responses, I am correct in my understand of the way to do it.

Thanks,

E. J.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.