AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, The wife gave the go ahead on the plasma buy. I though I had it all narrowed down to the panny 42PA20U. Then we went out today to the local stores just to see some in action before I lay down the money. So after about 8 hours and 8 different stores and all the sales people shoveling as much bull as they can, I am unsure of my choice. So I came home and spent another couple of hours scouring the threads of past knowledge to no avail. I am even more confused now than ever.

While the 42PA20U sounds good for my needs of running a DVD player with component out, Comcast HD Box component out also, and an Xbox, (will probably run Svideo out) it is still about $500 - $700 more than the TH42PWD6UY. Plus the it sounds like the 6UY will be better for my gaming needs as it supports the resolution needed. But what I can seem to figure out is will the 6UY support these connections straight out of the box or do I need to buy an additional card. This is important in my figuring because that will add to the cost of the whole purchase to get up and running. I have read some in older threads that this can be done but I will need some sort of conversion cable to get both the component connections working. Is this true and could someone point me to one of these cables?

Lastly, I have a question about warranties. Everywhere my wife and I went today they told us we needed an extended warranty that was going to add $500 - $700 on to the price. I know that for a lot of products this is just flushing money down the drain. But do what do all of you out there think about the extra security for such a large purchase? Wise or not? I am leaning more towards just sticking with the standard Panny warranty of 1 yr but the wife is pushing me for the extended warranty. It just seems like a lot more money on the chance that the plasma might break? Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post. Any help the wise can give this fool would be much appreciated.

MM

·
Registered
692 Posts
I brought up the issue of the extended warranty a while back and a lot of people seem to thinkg its a waste of money.

My only question to those people would be...what happens if ater 18 months the plasma dies? You're out of $3000.00.

Wouldn't it have been wiser to buy a 4-5 year extended warranty for $500?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glauco - thanks for the link. So if I understand this right there are 5 BNC type conectors on the back and I would use the BNC to RCA adaptors to convert the 3 component lines to 3 of the BNC conections on the back?

But there is only that one component capable connection to the back of the standard 6uy. And to get another component conection I would have to buy the extra component card for slot 1? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure that if I buy this I can hook it up and have it running out of the box. The last thing I want is to drop 3 to 4 Gs on a new toy and when it gets delivered the wife finds out I can't figure out how to get it working. I would never here the end of that one.

HX_Guy - Yea, but if things are going to go wrong don't they usually go wrong within the first year. And if something happens like it the plasma get knocked over or lightning frys the house then you can just claim it on home owners ins. ...I would think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the other component connection, use a 15 pin VGA breakout...

I am using a Bettercables Silver Serpent VGA Breakout. This will give you a component out to a 15 pin VGA connection to the 6UY! Therefore, 2 seperate component connections that you can toggle the different inputs.

I was confused on this too! When you look it up, it'll show 5 different component outputs to the 15 pin. You'll just use the three you need and let the other two dangle... Another point of confusion!

I just got my 6UY this week an could not be happier!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MACM
Glauco - thanks for the link. So if I understand this right there are 5 BNC type conectors on the back and I would use the BNC to RCA adaptors to convert the 3 component lines to 3 of the BNC conections on the back?
Yup. Just ignore the other 2 connectors (VD & HD)

Quote:
But there is only that one component capable connection to the back of the standard 6uy. And to get another component conection I would have to buy the extra component card for slot 1? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure that if I buy this I can hook it up and have it running out of the box. The last thing I want is to drop 3 to 4 Gs on a new toy and when it gets delivered the wife finds out I can't figure out how to get it working. I would never here the end of that one.

You read the link too fast. :D

TH-42PWD6UY =

1 S-Video/Composite

1 Component / RGB
1 Component / VGA (D-Sub 15-pin input can be configurated to accept Component)

1 Free Slot - possible to add optional cards:

The VGA (D-Sub 15-pin) accepts component. You can use a VGA Breakout as johnriggg mentioned or a HD-15 / RCA Component cable (Photo below)

http://gon8.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1061043351.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnrigg - thanks for the info......Clears up a lot. I am begening to see the light at the end of this confusing tunnel.

By the way, are you running component input into the RGB/Component connection? If so, what cable are you using for this. I have seen the links for the Radio Shack adaptors for Component to BNC connection. But I am looking for a little more elegant solution than this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I think I am finally begenning to understand these connections here. But I just want to ask if in your (anyones) opinion, if these conections might cause a down grade in signal. If I understand this correctly, these cables are simply breaking out the wires into seperate connections. They are not dropping any signal or quality anywhere, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great - I gotta say...after the day I had dealing with so many sales people telling me all kinds of stuff, it is really nice to get a simple straight forward answer from someone who isn't trying to get anything from me. It is a real testament to why this forum is so succesful. Thanks so much everyone!!!!!

Now all I gotta do is decide on a stand or a wall mount. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
You may want to double check the commercial versus consumer choise.

The price of the TH-42PA20U is dropping like a rock. Will be at $3000 soon.

The 6UY is only a few hundred less.

The bonus is that the TH-42PA20U has all the connectors you need, plus a stand, speakers, and a tuner.

You have to add the price of a stand and optional card/cables to the 6UY to match the config of the TH-42PA20U.

If you are wall mounting the 6UY becomes a better option. You have to buy a special mount.

You cannot buy the 6UY in a retail store. You have to go online. No in home warranty. The consumer model can be had online or at a store with an in home warranty.

Check with your credit card company. They may be able to double your Panny 1 year warranty. THe extended warranty is where they rape you...

For a plasma, it cost $500-700. Get a discount on that too.

You can finance the Plasma at CC with no interest until after 18 months.

Don't pay the MSRP $4500.

Don't go by Picture Quality in the store. Gauranteed it is great. You store setup may not be true HD.

Also look for deals on last years 42" SD or HD models. They are getting cheaper by the minute. You may want a HD Panny....TH-42PX20U due in 2 weeks ($5000 ish).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stealthfighter - The 42PA20U does have all the connections I want right out of the box. But it also has some drawbacks for me. I want to be able to play Xbox and the 20U doesn't support 720. Also it doesn't support the advanced picture settings for other things. It does come with a stand and speakers but I am planning to wall mount and run it through the home theater system. It does however come in silver wich the 6uy doesn't. But I don't think that is really worth $500- $700 extra.

As for prices...I have been tracking both units for just the last couple of weeks and they both seem to have come down by about $100. This probably has to do with demand mostly.

As for the warranty - the wife was still pushing for the 3 yr extended for like $500. (Varries depending on the reseller.) But I think I might have solved that problem too when I told her that if we buy with the Skymiles amex we can get a one year extension on the factory warranty and also put a few thousand more skymiles towards that trip to Europe. She agreed .....very quickly.

So I think in the end the 6UY might be a better solution for me.

Although...........

jk

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
MACM,

If you're lucky enough one of the following Independent Service Centers might be close to where you live (If service is needed):

Advanced Visual Services =

110 Londonderry Court Suite 126 / Woodstock - GA 30188 (770) 592-9696

Atlanta Professional Electronic =

5555 Oakbrook Parkway / Norcross - GA 30093 (770) 242-6900

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.