AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 11' by 11' (ceiling is only 7'7'' high) bedroom which I want to convert to a mini home theater (no surround, just 2.0/2,1 speaker setup). The following picture shows the dimensions and what's already in the room, I have built two corner bass traps.

My question is how to further improve the acoustics of the room.

Here's a draft of what I had in mind, please give your suggestions:

I "DIY" acoustic panels so cost is not an issue for me, and I can make them with different sizes. But I am afraid I may end up making it too dead like a recording studio not a home theater. And I don't know if I should add a cloud on the ceiling, or diffusers in the room. Could you help me out please?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Your draft is going in the right direction, I think. I would make a few changes to this plan before I implemented it - and I would take some measurements before I did anything. Do you have a mic that can be used with REW?

And after I implemented it, I would take some more measurements.
Of course, that's me - you may prefer to rely on your ears. It is easier to be objective and to get help if you have measurements, however.

Here's what I would recommend. First I would rotate the setup 90 degrees clockwise, putting the speakers against the wall with the window, I think (but maybe it's okay this way). Then I would position my listening spot near 38% from a wall - either front or rear and adjust the distance between L and R until the separation was where I wanted it. I would treat each first reflection on the side walls and ceiling as well as behind the speakers - all with 4" thick absorption. Then I would treat the rear wall with absorption, in the center of the area behind the listening position (that's a first reflection too). Then in addition to the bass traps you have indicated in the corners, I would add a similar design in the corner where the ceiling meets the wall. You may not need the second panel on the left - is that for absorption of the right channel reflection off the left wall? If after this the room felt too dead, I would add either a binary diffusion element or some sort of reflective covering (thick plastic, like 6 mil, or paper) over some of the panels, beginning with the one in the rear.

You don't need the panel by the door - it's not helping.

Of course, I'm just some guy on the internet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your suggestion. If I rotate the setup 90 degrees, then the back of my monitor would be facing the window, is that preferred or something that's completely up to the person.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts