Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i am a german and have a problem to translate the following

to the correct meaning:

"The Lamp Has 1978 Hrs Of Life Left"

What does it means ?

Is the meaning that the Lamp has burned 1978 Hours or means it the lamp has 22 Hours burned ?

Thank you for a teaching hour ;-)

Best regards and sorry for my bad english

Juergen

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would think that the word "left" is synonymous with "remaining" in this context. These are the remaining hours on the bulb (whatever the starting point is).

·
Registered
950 Posts
Verzeihen Sie mir Sir bitte Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich versuche. Wenn die Birne eine 2000 Stundenbirne oder die 5000-Stunden-Birne waren, schlägt der Kontext des Programmsatzes den, die Birne hat 1978 Stunden Gebrauch nach links auf ihm vor, bevor er ersetzt werden muß. Glück, VB.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1415926 pi:
Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.
It is a lot better than mine!

Jeff Streitz

Iowa City, IA

USA

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1415926 pi:
Verzeihen Sie mir Sir bitte Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich versuche. Wenn die Birne eine 2000 Stundenbirne oder die 5000-Stunden-Birne waren, schlägt der Kontext des Programmsatzes den, die Birne hat 1978 Stunden Gebrauch nach links auf ihm vor, bevor er ersetzt werden muß. Glück, VB.

What he said....

Anything else I can help you with? :)

Johnny

Johnny

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the talents and capabilities of the members of this forum. Is this a great place or what? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Sc>cc>oc>tc>tc> Gc>ac>mc>mc>ac>nc>sc>
Visit the Scooterplex
Let's hear it for Enterprise on HDNet!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
It is something isn't it, Scott.

It's always been remarkable to me to consider that so many of the regular posters don't have English as their native language but are still able to communicate with English as well as they do.

Can you imagine us trying to participate in an oriental language message board?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
Can you imagine us trying to participate in an oriental language message board?
Hell no! First of all I would have to rely on one of those translation websites, and second of all I would almost certainly slip up and insult whomever I was trying to speak to. "How do I connect the projector?" would probably come out as "How do I nail your sister?" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Visit the Scooterplex

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Where I come from that would be a compliment!

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Quote:
p.s. I wonder how both of your last two replies will translate to our non-native English speaking friends?
Well, since I have some time on my hands, I amused myself with Babelfish translating my last post back and forth into English and another language... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The original English: Hell no! First of all I would have to rely on one of those translation websites, and second of all I would almost certainly slip up and insult whomever I was trying to speak to. "How do I connect the projector?" would probably come out as "How do I nail your sister?"

English-Chinese-English: The hell does not have! First possesses me must depend upon these translates the website in the middle one, and possesses my nearly certain next slips and insults me tries to speak rightly. Do " how I connect designer?" How probably comes out with " does I nail your sisters?"

English-Japanese-English: No of hell! First if all I become one of all those translation websites and second do not depend on you insert almost, certainly who who tried the fact that speak to I you insult even if. " The projector which I how connect?" The nail of I your sisters?" How perhaps the way, " it comes.

English-Korean-English: Hell negation! All I do to do first in one thing of all that translation websites, leaning with secondth it is positive almost and comfort America i put out to come, it will go out and this case of who it tries the fact that it talks it will insult theyn the place. " As goes out and the projector which it connects? " I nail your sisters? " Peel and as fact with the thing " be born same together theyn the place.

(p.s. For some reason the Romance languages such as French, Spanish, etc. did not provide nearly as amusing results as the Eastern languages shown above. Just goes to show you how far we have to go with briding the gap to our friends across the Pacific.)

------------------
Visit the Scooterplex

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thank you for all the replys you made.

The little Season in "HOW TO DO ENGLISCH" ;-)) was great.

Now i know the meaning of "The Lamp Has x Hrs Of Life Left" and some other things.

But, i will tell you : Reading english is easy, writing in english much harder and "thank god" that you dont must phone with me.

Einen schönen Tag noch an alle

Juergen

·
Registered
45 Posts
ÈìÃ* ëè áúëãÃ*ðè â òîçè ôîðóì?

------------------

Nijel

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how both of your last two replies will translate to our non-native English speaking friends?

I bet they've got to be confused by your use of the

word "nail", haha. I wish Li On was reading this thread and

we could ask him.
Well, if you're asking me, I understood the nail-your-sister part very well indeed. But then again, I am Sc>wc>ec>dc>ic>sc>hc> http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by NiToNi (edited 10-10-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.