Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I have been a Ht nut for awhile and a member of Home Theater Forum. Finally I get to have a dedicated HT in our new home. I am converting my upstairs loft. I hope you can help me with a difficult decision display decision. Currently I have an old Sony 27incher. I have the latest digital equipment and speakers. I would like to purchase a RPTV or even a projector. Here are a few my obstacles:

1) Budget. I would like to stay around $3000 give or take a bit.

2) The loft is upstairs and the staircase does a patter that looks like "\\" then it goes like "/" with a small flat area between the two levels. I don't know how I am going to get a RPTV up there. I was told that a Mitsubishi. Can separate into two pieces making it easier.

3) The room is large enough so that a 60" plus could fit no problem

I would appreciate any suggestions. Which models and what to expect to pay for them? Or should I invest in a front projector? I have also heard good things about the Pioneer SD-643HD5

Thanks,

Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If you are asking if a FP would be a good idea here are the things we need to know.

1) How much light control do you have.

2) Roughly the throw distance ( PJ to screen ) that would be availible.

3) how much time/energy are you willing to invest into a CRT unit?

For less than 3K curt , eric, or other used dealers could hook you up with a sweet 7"or a good 8" CRT unit. You would have plenty of money left over for a profesional screen. You could also get a ok digital unit for that proce either new or b-stock.

I went the budget route and picked up a used Sony 1252 for $300 and am displaying a 80" wide 16:9 image. If you want the big picture, and you have the means I highly recommend FP. If you are doing this for movies and you go RP you will kick yourself later for paying way too much for a large RP unit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Do you have enough throw to do front projection? Can you put some shades or curtains in your windows?

If yes. Do front projection and you want look back.

There are several good models you can choose from. I only know where I am having a BarcoData 801s. No RPTV I haver seen has even touched it. I can almost compare to the theater, I don't feel a urge to go to the theater anymore it is only a hair better.

That the low end of the scale.

Can not imagine the other end.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have plenty of wall space for the screen and the distance is away is OK for the projector. 5-20 feet away depending on how I place the theater seats. Two windows that the wife is blacking out with framed movie posters so it will be dark enough I think.

If I go RPTV what should I go with?

·
Registered
380 Posts
You have the throw and the light control.

Try to find out, if you have any avs member in your area you can visit. No matter, if you see a LCD, DLP or CRT. A HTPC driven CRT would be the most cost effective solution. Price versus quality.

Going to a dealer can be a joy ride, but not really show how it will look at home.

After you have done that. I think you not be happy with an RPTV knowing what you will miss.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You should buy an Front projection CRT, if you can handle.

The risk, you are buying used goods. You can minimize the risk by dealing with a reputable dealer there are a few of them here on the forum.

Can you handle a computer, more than the average person. You will need it to get good scaling and deinterlacing. Installing PCI card and installing software.

You mentioned a Mitsubish RPTV in your privat mail to me. I don't know if it is a good price, but things considered what a you really can have for that you will be amazed.

Budget BarcoData and graphics 800, 801, 801s 1500 USD + taxes in your country + airfreigt something around 2500-3000 USD. Don't know your taxes so take a shuffle of salt.

Theese Barcos are very easy to repair. Can be a good thing, if you live in the woods. Just swap card and send it to repair instead of a whole projector.

There are other projectors as well. Sony 127X should be something the same. I need help here guys. This guy lives in Lithuania.

You can do what I did. Reading the forum every night for two three months. Then go around local to AV firms. Other sites you can try. Hotels, Bar, Schools, University's, Government, Big firms, auctions.

Auctions on the net. Just one word CAUTION. You should be able to go there and look for yourself.

There is one thing that is more important than any other. Tube condition. Take a search on BURN and WEAR. You should find some pictures of what you not want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.