AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a way, I am extremely eager to purchase the Panasonic CT-34WX50. I've read nothing but good things about its picture quality and features -- and I have been impressed with it in person.

But there are a couple of things holding me back, and I hope you can help.

Right now, I own an 8 year old 32 inch Sony set (which is still working fine). Obviously, the CT-34WX50 will be a great improvement over what I have in terms of viewing letterbox material, but it will most likely result in a smaller picture for 4:3 video.

First, am I correct in believing that I will actually end up with a smaller display for regular television (which makes up a lot of my viewing)? I have little interest in using stretch modes.

Secondly, a question for those who have the CT-34WX50 or similar 34 inch models: does the improvement in picture quality (which I have no doubt will occur) make up for the smaller viewing size in 4:3?

Another question: Would you characterize this set as fairly future proof? My guess is that, if I take the plunge, I'll be setting it up for HD very quickly (via Directv and/or OTA). Is the CT-34WX50 well designed to handle these and other systems which might come along? And how about compatibility with the Xbox?

Finally, and maybe this is asking too much, anyone with an opinion on the quality of output from a Directivo on the CT-34WX50?

I have run a search in this forum on this model, and while I found some useful information, I didn't find these specific questions addressed. So I very much appreciate your help.

Thanks....Mike

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Mike, I am receiving my Panny 34WX50 tomorrow. I had the same thoughts you did. This set goes into my family room and my better-half put the law down about how big the tv could be. So, I checked out the various sets and the panny, by far, IMHO had the best picture. I currently have a panny 32" flat screen tv (which is awesome) so I masked off the height difference to see if I would miss the 1.8" or so of screen. It did not look that much different (try this) BUT I will pick up 4-5 inches in width so there will be more screen (sq.in.) than before.

The panny I demo had an unbelievably clear picture - I hope this new set will look as good http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I will post a response once I have it setup.

Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Mike, I just setup my panny tau 34wx50 and all I can say is WOW! It looks great with Tivo (I use medium quality) and I have Directv connected via Sony box - it also looks great and a Dish 6000 box (I am using BEV). HDTV looks fantastic! My wife and kids think the picture looks bigger than my old panny 32" flat screen. It is wider, since it is 16:9 but the image is vertically smaller by about 1.8 inchs. I think it is as good as anything concerning the future - who knows what is going to happen. It has a very cool split screen instead of PIP and various zoom,just,full,normal, etc. aspects for 4:3 material. I am thrilled by the picture - IMHO it looks way better than any other monitor 38" or smaller I have seen and its size is very reasonable. I bought mine off the I-net for $2455 plus $190 for shipping. Not bad.

If you have any other questions ask.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Would you characterize this set as fairly future proof?
It's hard to characterize any current set as future-proof since there is a fundamental shift going on in the connectivity standards between set-top boxes (ie, Satellite or Cable receivers) and the TV. All TV sets up to now have used RCA, S-Video, or Component connections (the latter being the highest-quality and the preferred connection for HDTV). All of these connections are analogue.

Due to copy-protection concerns, equipment manufacturers are moving to new digital connection standards. The problem is that there are two standards with different characteristics that solve slightly different problems: DVI and Firewire (AKA "IEEE-1394"). No TV manufacturers are currently making sets with both inputs. Most TV manufacturers seem to be pushing Firewire, but the set-top box manufacturers seem to be pushing DVI. This is not at all settled yet and it will probably be at least a year or two before real interoperable products are widely shipping.

However a TV with analogue-only inputs should be meet your needs for at least a few years, with the only possible exception being the ability to record and play back HDTV material (all of the recorders announced so far use Firewire connectivity).

With the current breakneck pace of technology it's hard to find anything that's "future proof" (receivers, cameras, TVs, you name it). Each year brings improved equipment at reduced costs. You'll just have to decide whether the you feel that the current feature set is worth the current price or not...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I guess the question about "future proof" was kind of goofy...obviously, nothing electronic lasts very long these days (I'm on, for example, my third computer in the past five years). But you addressed what I was really thinking, which is that it appears an HD set like this one will keep me feeling up to date for a couple of years anyway.

And I appreciate the first hand account MichaelZ. I think the split screen PIP would be great for watching TV and looking at WebTV, an already outdated technology which I still tolerate because I sometimes want to surf the web from my easy chair. Anyway, it helps to hear you're happy with your choice...

Any other CT-34WX50 owners, please weigh in.

Thanks....Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.