AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some honest advice. My wife and I have started shopping for a new TV to replace and old Magnavox 1080i tube (CRT?) tv. Our budget is $1000 and we would like to go between 42" and 47" since we sit about 10 feet from the screen.

At first we were considering the Panny Plasmas, specifically the G10/G15 series but as I read about some of the issues with increasing black levels, I am starting to shy away from this model. Add to the fact that Cnet has removed their recommendation on these models, I dont know if I am completely comfortable with that option now.

Today at Best Buy we looked at the Sony 46EX500 and the Samsung 46B550 as they are both very close in price. We are mainly using the TV for HD cable (comcast at the moment) and gaming on the XBox 360. We are also going to be adding a blu-ray player sometime in the near future.

This is my first flat panel purchase and considering both units have no real reviews that I can find, I would like to get some opinions from the people here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
depending on the type of games you play and how important gaming performance is you may want to read the thread in my signature about input lag on TV's

also the black rise issue on Panny plasma's is only a visible problem in a completely or nearly completely dark viewing environment, under normal conditions its not noticeable

keep in mind that the people on these forums myself included tend to put certain aspects of a TV ahead of other ones and when they discover a problem with this aspect they cry and scream bloody murder over it.

this is the case with both the rising black level issue as well as input lag on many HDTV's

what matters is how the TV looks to you only you can decide if you're happy with a certain TV's picture and most if not all top tier brand TV's sold today perform very well to the average end user.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckb1978 /forum/post/18311334

I am looking for some honest advice. My wife and I have started shopping for a new TV to replace and old Magnavox 1080i tube (CRT?) tv. Our budget is $1000 and we would like to go between 42" and 47" since we sit about 10 feet from the screen.

At first we were considering the Panny Plasmas, specifically the G10/G15 series but as I read about some of the issues with increasing black levels, I am starting to shy away from this model. Add to the fact that Cnet has removed their recommendation on these models, I dont know if I am completely comfortable with that option now.

Today at Best Buy we looked at the Sony 46EX500 and the Samsung 46B550 as they are both very close in price. We are mainly using the TV for HD cable (comcast at the moment) and gaming on the XBox 360. We are also going to be adding a blu-ray player sometime in the near future.

This is my first flat panel purchase and considering both units have no real reviews that I can find, I would like to get some opinions from the people here.

Thanks!

Samsung LN46C630 for a matte screen or LN46C650 with the ultra clear panel. Amazon has them in your price range. If you want B&M then Sears or BB within the price range given. These are 2010 tvs. I'm a little biased because I own a C650, but it's a great tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts