AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Just found this place and glad I did!

I'm building my home theatre and need some help choosing some in wall speakers! I'm going with in walls due to the 'wife factor'.

Speakers are for a 24'X16' room. Have an Onkyo SR875 receiver and a sunfire True Sub EQ on the way already....

Need in walls for my left and right and surrounds....I can get away with using a stand-alone center channel speaker ( as long as it's physically smaller than my receiver since I'm relocating everthing in the basement)

What are your opinions on quality in walls.....my budget is variable in that I'll pay more if I'm getting good value eg. I'll pay 50% more if I get 50% more quality, not 5% .....and because these are going in the wall, I'm inclined to get something really good, so I don't have to change them for a long time...

thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There are really only three I would ever use....

TRIAD, SONNANCE and possibly RBH.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been considering def tech. I've tried axiom in the past. They were decent for the price. Just make sure whatever you buy they are enclosed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks....looks like Triad has some 6" sud setups, I only have room for 4"...I'll look around....

Sonance are available here in town.... good news...

No one cares for Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio in-walls?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would highly recommend, especially for the WAF, Axiom's Architecture series InWall/OnWall speakers . They are designed to perform as good as their m22, vp150, Q counterparts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am also looking for some good inwalls to put behind a SMX AT screen. I have been strongly considering the sonance THX Ultra II. How do they compare to the Triad? Also, does the wood back box really improve the sound quality?

Enjoying the informal candor,

Doug

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
what is your budget?

I have had good success with the martin logan ticket's/passage (never sold the gigantic voyage's yet). I think the tickets at under $800/pair are a good looking and great sounding product. That being said, I'm a martin logan sound fan.

I have also had good luck with the monitor audio silver series in-wall front speakers. I have never heard their other choices for in-walls though. They also come with some form of back box but i'm not sure how good/bad their own version is.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_guy /forum/post/13021147

thanks....looks like Triad has some 6" sud setups, I only have room for 4"...I'll look around....

Triad has fifteen inwall models that have a 4" depth. Thirteen of those have flush grills.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys....I've seen the monitor audio Silvers, Bronze and Gold..heard them, but not while in the wall......a nice sounding speaker......

the guy at the store told me that the enclosure for the speakers also acts as a vapour barrier ( if it's on an outside wall of course)....only thing they didn't have was an aimable tweeter ( not sure how important that is )

Thanks Paul....Yes, I saw that they had 4" depth too.....I meant take a harder look around at the Triad site..... I wish there was a dealer up here so I could take a listen....Do you recommend someone I could work with in the US to pick a system and maybe have some speakers sent up to me? I'm looking for left and right fronts, and a pair of rear channel surrounds in an in wall, and a closely matched center channel that doesn't have to be in-wall......my receiver is an Onkyo 875......

Also, the rear channel speakers are going into an exterior wall with 6" studs...the wall is full of fibreglass insulation.....would it make sense to use the the 6" stud style inwalls for the rears, and 4" for the front?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enclosed are 3 photos of my room.....the front.jpg shows the wall where I'll be putting the speakers......I was thinking of putting the left and right up high in each corner of the wall that the TV is on.....

The rear.jpg photo shows the cheapo satellites that are to be replaced with inwalls....they are about 6' apart

the roomsize.jpg is a very old pic from when I moved in showing the room size if it helps.....

I plan on putting the center channel on an end table that I have under the TV now....

Receiver is Onkyo 875, sub is Sunfire True Sub EQ, panel is Sharp 52"

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm voting for on-wall fronts left and right of your tv, horizontal center (anything else would look silly)

Look at some on-wall LCR options available. Personal favorite are the vienna acoustic weberns

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called Paul today....he got me squared away....

Going with some bronze in wall LCR's for L+R, bronze on wall surrounds and an in room bronze LCR....

will be calling my dealer shortly! I haven't heard the Triad's yet, but everything I've heard and read convinces me that they're going to be the best value I can get.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
You should check out the RBH Signature series speakers. www.rbhsound.com

Triads are very nice. IMO RBH Signatures are as good or even better. But its a personal preference for everyone. Depending on the Triads you are looking at, you can probably save some money with the RBH. Check out the reviews on www.audioholics.com and find a local RBH dealer (off the RBH web site) to demo some.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts