AVS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the lumens as much as getting something to fit. If it isn't bright enough, then let the new owners replace it with something better. That goes for the rest of the theater. I would get some ELAC speakers and a cheap receiver for the audio.

The fact is 99% of the population is wowed by any big screen theater. Quality is secondary.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How are you going to get by with a projector without lens memory? The JVC barely makes it throw wise, but it will work. A Panasonic AE8000 also works, but not bright enough and the Panny has to be mounted no higher than top of image. JVC RS400 looks like best option. It will also look very impressive on that size screen.
What is the brightness of the Panny? Saw it pretty cheap on special (not sure if you guys have it on special as well)... maybe worth a slight premium over the Epson hc3000 for the motorized lens and memories... just to give the buyer something easy to use....

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Get a $200-250 Jamestown projector screen and a BenQ projector. Together should be less than $1000 for a nice 1080p image.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I have a very low hours Epson 5020 for sale in the AVS classifieds. None of the sub $3K Epsons put out more than 700 to 800 lumens in calibrated best mode, but the 5020s and 5030s can put up a reasonably accurate picture with perhaps 1200 lumens (but not best mode). However, since none of these Epsons have power focus, zoom or lens shift (all manual adjustment on the projector) they really are not a good choice if you have a 'scope' screen as there is no convenient way to change between 16 x 9 and widescreen scope mode. I agree with many others that the JVC RS400 would probably be the best fit for your Home Theater, but it is not really cheap. You didn't say what specific screen you are using (what gain does it have). If it does offer some reasonable gain then you just might be able to get by with the previous generation of JVC projectors (but less bright than the latest generation) as this could be an alternative and you could probably find a nice used, or 'B stock' RS49 or RS4910. These do have lens memory and put out 900 to 1000 lumens (with a new lamp).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Benq W7500. 2000 lumens light canon. I got one for about $1,499 on Blinq if I recall. It does the job and will impress any non-AVS'er.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Benq W7500. 2000 lumens light canon. I got one for about $1,499 on Blinq if I recall. It does the job and will impress any non-AVS'er.
It doesn't have the appropriate throw needed. I had originally thought of this, but soon realized it wouldn't work.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts