115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I own the following system:

TV - Mitsubishi WS-65413 - 65 HD RPTV

Front Speakers - PSB Stratus Goldi's

Rear Speakers - PSB Stratus Mini

Center Channel (own but stored and not currently used) - PSB 9C

DVD - Zenith DVB318

I own an Onkyo TX-SV515PRO receiver which is about 14 years old and I want to replace it with some else. I have a dedicated and separate room for two-channel music. As such, this piece would be used almost solely for TV (DirecTV satellite) and movies on DVD. Since I am not looking for cutting edge stuff, I figure a one box unit is probably best for me. I do not mind considering somthing that will do 7.1 but, realistically, will never go beyond 5.1.

My first notion is to buy a receiver with an up-to-date processor (DPLII a must), though I really do not need a tuner, so an integrated processor would be okay, too. I do not mind, and actually prefer, to buy used. I have been considering an Arcam AV300. However, I would also have keen interest in other suggestions for this application but would be seeking specific model recommendations - not just B&K or Denon, or Outlaw, etc.. I'd figure to spend no more than, say $1K.

I would be appreciative for help. I am VERY experienced in two-channel, but HT ----well, not so much. ;-)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I know that my question is not exactly unique, even when considered in just today's posts - but I would very much appreciate suggestions. My room size is 20 X 16 and I am satisfied with my speakers. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since you have a lot of experience with 2 channel, I would suggest you use the same criteria to choose HT. There are several choices out there and only you can decide what specific model will work for you. You have to listen to them to know

avguide.com is a good place to start your research. It has reviews from TAS and TPV. One specific model in that price range that comes to mind is the NAD T753, the other is the Outlaw 1070. both reviews are on the site; I havent heard either of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yanx /forum/post/0

Currently, I own the following system:

TV - Mitsubishi WS-65413 - 65 HD RPTV

Front Speakers - PSB Stratus Goldi's

Rear Speakers - PSB Stratus Mini

Center Channel (own but stored and not currently used) - PSB 9C

DVD - Zenith DVB318

I own an Onkyo TX-SV515PRO receiver which is about 14 years old and I want to replace it with some else. I have a dedicated and separate room for two-channel music. As such, this piece would be used almost solely for TV (DirecTV satellite) and movies on DVD. Since I am not looking for cutting edge stuff, I figure a one box unit is probably best for me. I do not mind considering somthing that will do 7.1 but, realistically, will never go beyond 5.1.

My first notion is to buy a receiver with an up-to-date processor (DPLII a must), though I really do not need a tuner, so an integrated processor would be okay, too. I do not mind, and actually prefer, to buy used. I have been considering an Arcam AV300. However, I would also have keen interest in other suggestions for this application but would be seeking specific model recommendations - not just B&K or Denon, or Outlaw, etc.. I'd figure to spend no more than, say $1K.

I would be appreciative for help. I am VERY experienced in two-channel, but HT ----well, not so much. ;-)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I will respectfully disagree that is one knows two-channel you can easily choose an HT receiver. With my 2-channel (analog based) there is no surround, no THX, no Dolby Pro LogicII, no HDMI, no etc., etc.

Now, I COULD decided on an HT receiver that might provide good two channel sound, but that is not what I am after.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unless you're need something specific for eg, # of HDMI inputs, all relatively new models will have the features you mentioned and their specs are easily available online. The main differentiator, imo, is going to be how you like the sound and how it sounds in your environment which no one else can tell you.

I'm assuming you chose the equipment you have by auditioning it yourself and not by recommendations from somebody else, let alone someone you dont know...? just my opinion...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.