AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble making a wiring diagram for my house. This is what I would like to do..

I want to have 3 wired security cameras all wired to my laundry room, to which I want distributed to my tv's. I thought this would be a simple task, but I am having trouble finding camera's that I can use my own prewired RG6/Cat5 with. Then, once I run it to the central point, what do I use to take them and distribute them to 1, 2, or 3 tvs so I can see all 3 cameras on each tv? Please help me! Thank you..

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
PExeter

I'll post a long explanation later. Is Johnnys still the bar to hang out in? While I don't think I'll every go back to Yuma I spent some after hours time at Johnnys

Dave

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
For cameras that can use a prewired Cat5 run, I suggest the Multicams, also known as Xanboo cameras. While they come with their own 60' cable, it is a simple 6 conductor cable terminated on an RJ14 jack that you can replace w/ your cat5 cable. These cameras are B&W, have sound, motion detection and IR illumination. There is also a color version if you so desire.

The Above cameras come with a breakout box that spits out Video and Audio via regular RCA connections. Take these to a three or four channel modulator (Net Media, Channel Plus, Channel Vision) which will take the Composite RCA audio/video and convert it to RF channels (similar to your CATV). You then take the coax output of the modulator and combine it with your cable. If you have straight analog cable, buy a low pass filter to knock off channels 100 and above, to give you a clean area to inject your newly modulated channels. If you have digital cable, you may have some problems finding a clean area to modulate your Cameras into.

After all of the above, you can pick the camera by changing your TV to the proper channel (that you selected w/ the modulator) and see each camera.

Do some searching on security cameras and modulation in this forum and you'll find TONS of threads repeating the above information.

Robert

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thank you for the great response. And Dave, are you from Yuma? Thats amazing to run into someone from here on the internet. I dont know how long its been since you've been here, but I must say Yuma is grooooooowing pretty quickly. As for johnny's, yeah, its still the hangout.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Looks like Robert posted some very good info. Most cameras run on 24V or 12V. So with CAT 5 you could use pairs of wires to thicken up the conductor for power. The RG6 is fine for camera video. Depending on your TVs and you current channels (Satellite or cable?). That would determine which direction to go with.

I left Yuma in '93 after being stationed there for 4 years. Seems like half of those 4 years were on deployment. After Johnnys closed we would drive a few miles to the biker bar just across CA. line. This was one of the worst duty stations that picked me of all things. Something about openings.... Kind of conditioned us for spending time in Kuwait during the first gulf was. Played LOTS of V-ball in the park in town......

·
Registered
347 Posts
You minimally need the cameras, a quad tiler and a single channel modulator.

In place of the quad tiler, you could also find a used multiplexor (which also does the tiling) on ebay. For the single channel modulator, an inexpensive avcast system would work fine. Look at crossbarmedia .com then clik on purchase and select the avcast media kit for like $99.

I reccomend ihms dot org for the xanboo (poolcam) cameras. I got the 576 which has both audio and video and motion. There are pkg deals available if you look hard enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.