AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all wise HTPCers out there - I am at my witt's end, pulling my hair out. I have built a nice simple HTPC to be a PVR mainly, running BeyondTV on a Hauupage 250 without problem...

However I have a huge problem running my video to my HDTV Component inputs. I am using:

Gigabyte - ATI 9600 SE Video Card with DVI-I - OUT

ATI DVI-Component HDTV Adapter

to a Samsung TXN3075WHF (30 inch 16:9) HDTV ...

I Cannot even get a picture at 640x480. I can see only a garbeled picture at windows' startup (light blue background) then a dark, off center image the right of the screen and half on the left with a thick verticle band down the middle. If I open a window or move the mouse quickly I completely loose sync.

I have tried timing adjustments with powerstrip, but I can't get anything, even the 640x480 to work.

I know the TV will accept a 1080i HDTV box signal, and also my XBox's 480p component signal without a glitch. and the DVI Out of the card works to a VGA Monitor (with the included DVI-VGA Adapter) - so anyoen know where my problem may lay... I have wasted countless hours on this with no success.

Thank you for your time

-Jeff

·
Registered
423 Posts
Read MARK REJHON'S DEFINITIVE SUPERGUIDE and follow the step by step instructions. The only information that doesn't jive with recent versions of powerstrip is the number of vertical lines and refresh rates with more recent versions of powerstrip. These are the correct values:

Code:
Code:
Resolution   Vertical Refresh   Horizontal Refresh      Vertical Lines 
----------   ----------------   ------------------      -------------- 
480P         60.0               31.5                    525 
540P         60.0               33.75                   563 
720P         60.0               45.0                    750 
960I         30.0               31.5                    1050 
1080I        30.0               33.75                   1125
EDIT: Keep in mind that Mark's guide is about 3.5 years old, so advice on best video card, etc., is a little out of date. But the instructions for using powerstrip still apply.

EDIT2: You should be using Catalyst 4.5 if you are using the ATI component dongle. Use Center Timing Mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help so far... Maybe I am making progress though not sure. One more thing -

WHERE do I find a place to Check Center Timing Mode.

I keep looking... what menu is this under???

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
423 Posts
You are using the component dongle, right? You can find the checkbox for center timing mode in the ATI displays configuration pannel. Click on the Y-Pb-Pr "rectangle" above the picture of the TV. Then you get to the settings for the dongle.

Sean.

EDIT: Go to this link and scroll down to see a picture of the ATI configuration window where you access the Y-Pb-Pr settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem, with the same exact video card, the Gigabyte 9600 SE.

The component section in Catalyst is never even activated at all.

Since my card has one DVI and one SVideo output I can't have my monitor hooked up when I restart, so instead I have the SVideo hooked up as well, so that I can at least see the desktop after I've rebooted.

Well, after having rebooted, I didn't have anything on my screen through the DVI, so I checked the SVideo, to see the desktop.

I loaded the Catalyst control panel, and the ONLY device activated there was the TV output. The YPbPr is still grayed out.

At first I thought it was just a faulty dongle, but seeing as you're having the exact same problem, I now believe this is a problem with the Gigabyte 9600 SE. ATI officially says this dongle is only designed for 8500 and 8500DV, and that theoretically it should work with other RADEONS 9200 and later. But, with 9600 not being officially supported, and with some people having problems with this, I think it's probably the card... The real ATI 9600 may be fine, but perhaps there's something with the Gigabyte version?

I thought I might play around with Powerstrip, but of course that won't do anything unless I can get Catalyst to recognize that the dongle is there so the RAMDAC can output YPbPr instead of RGB.

Anyone else having this same issue with a different card?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for replying...

I too have blamed the DVI-HDTV Adapter. So Much so that I called ATI and asked for a replacement. So Far I have done extensive trouble shooting.

1. I have tested on a second HDTV (The ATI Tech said the card wasn't recognising my TV so maybe the TV wasnt Compatable.) I then tested on a top line NEC Monitor/HDTV at the Hospital I work at, and the card failed in the exact same manner.

2. The Tech had also suggested my motherboard BIOS (MSI) may be a problem (Or my Celeron Processor). My next step will be to try the card in a different computer... I have a older P4 Dell (8100) that I will try the card in in a few hours. If I still fail... Then I would have suspected the Adapter (Dongle)

3. HDTV Adapter vs. Gigabyte 9600 SE

I was the going to quit assuming the DVI-HDTV Adapter was faulty... After all, the Gigabyte 9600 SE works with S-Video... AND the DVI-I works because the signal can go perfectly to VGA through a DVI-VGA Dongle. So the Card has to be working right? - Well MAYBE NOT... If you have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, then I am starting to doubt the adapter is at fault... I mean how can the ONLY TWO People who suspect faulty adapters have the SAME Video Card. So your post has been a big help... I will reply again with any more insight or results of testing Computers (I WISH I had another Card to test as well, but I don't have $90 lying around for a true ATI Card)

Thanks again... Will post more later and appreciate anyone else's input on this matter. Experts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have swapped everything out... and today I bought a refirbed Video ATI 9600SE Card instead of the Gigabyte brand

It works perfectly; therefore, the Gigabyte 9600SE not Dongle Compatible

Hope this helps others...

I don't know that contacting Gigabyte would help but maybe...

The real ATI works fine however

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.