AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need Help . i am stuck between panny from bjs, model PT42PD3-P or akai from costco. Panny is costing me about $600 more than the akai . Is the Panny worth the extra $600. I looked at both of these several times on display, It seems like akai is little brighter. Any suggestions or comments will be helpfull. what would you do? Panny or akai?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sonup2000 --

Depends on your needs. By and large, the Panasonic is a far superior image. The Panasonic's Contrast Ratio (although inflated) is much much better than the Akai. What are they charging for the two models?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a friend with the Akai from costco and I have watched it quite a bit. I really don't like the black levels much. The new Samsung, Akai is built by Samsung, just came out and compares more favorably with the Panasonic.

If you had to buy today the Panny is worth the extra money, if you can wait a month or so I would look at the newer version of the Akai set, the Samsung spn4235

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Given the price differences, you would be insane if you do not get the Panasonic.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No, they just haven't changed the desination in a couple of years. Any you find for sale should be 2002 models. They should have a panel designation 42PWD5UZ for 2002, PWD4UZ for 2001.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Eat some mac-n-cheese for dinner. Make some pb&j's for lunch and spend the saved $$$ for the Panny. As a previous owner of the Daewoo AND Akai from Costco, I can tell you, it's well worth it!

The Daewoo was very slim on ability to change settings and had a problem with accepting progressive signal from my XP-30. It would drop the video signal randomly. Maybe it was just my unit, but I returned it and went for the Akai.

The Akai was better than the Daewoo as far as contrast goes and had a much broader range of control options. Good amount of inputs and a much better remote. Girlfriend couldn't stand the Akai however and said she liked the Daewoo better and that it needed to be returned ASAP?!?

Soooo, with that said, there was my green light to buy the plasma that I had originally wanted to begin with. I Bought the 42" ED with the Peerless articulating wall mount from, well, can't say that anymore. :rolleyes: At any rate, the Panny simply blows the other two away in every way that I can think of. Progressive DVD is simply awsome!!! and it does a great job with Comcast cable as well, whereas the other two left a lot to be desired....AND I now have the much needed GAF/WAF. (girlfriend/wife approval factor)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.