AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my ONKYO TXSR 603X and naturally ALL excited to start a NEW A/V Experience.........Spent ALL Day today wiring up different speakers etc.....and making what I believed to be the proper connections. Let me throw in here, I concur with others in reviews that I have read - this manual SUCKS!

My Components: A TOSHIBA 46" HDTV; A DISH 211 SAT Receiver; a TOSH DVD; and this NEW A/V Receiver. I decided to got for this model because of being able to do Component Switching [I may ROO that decision]..........I ran Component Cables from back of HDTV to OUT of A/V Receiver; another set out of DISH Receiver and into the Onkyo; and then one out of DVD and INTO The Receiver.

I also ran my Optical Digital OUT of the DISH Receiver and into the Onkyo - same goes for the DVD.

The MAJOR problem that has me baffled and writing here [I am BURNT OUT] is I can get NO SOUND - I am getting a picture on my TV off of the SAT - I have plugged and re-plugged in those Op/Dig. connectors and changed various settings till I'm blue in the face - to NO Avail.

A couple other things that I do not like so far and cannot understand: 1} With new/present connections I lost the ability to use the bulit in Audio System that is in the TV. 2} After the DISH Receiver and the A/V Receiver are on the same page, ie. Video 2 - I can no longer access the ON Screen Setup Menu for the Onkyo - - - because even with the SAT Receiver OFF, when I turn the TV on - that DISH Emblem scrolls around on the screen. 3} Changed TV Input from Video 2 to CABLE in order to get around inability to open up On Screen Setup again....BUT still I cannot access it? 4} Another BAD thing has happened using their Components in and out - - - almost everything being broadcast is in letter box or smallish and I can no longer change the formats using my DISH remote...with the A/V Receiver - what you SEE is what you get.

I remember - I think my old Sony A/V Receiver you had to choose like, PCM, or something like that and then the Receiver AUTO chose what the signal should be decoded as...............I was wondering IF there is something like that that I am missing????

I HOPE someone here can help me get this straightened out tomorrow - - - the way it is I sure wish I'd gone for a lower end Onkyo [503] and saved some money. I am probably going to have to re-connect my Component Cables to TV, DISH, and DVD the way they used to be before buying this sucker and HOPE that the SOUND will work again then.

THANKS for Any and ALL Help,

Michael

PS - - - Forgot to tell you - Speaker Setup was a SUCCESS and I still get Test Tones out of all of them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Kind of jumpy but let me get this straight:

you have component cables out of 211 and dvd INTO the component inputs on the receiver. Then a set of cable from receiver (monitor out?) to the tv's component input. I'm not familiar with that receiver but I'm sure that it has input assignment meaning you can switch things around if need be. Just make sure that the component inputs are assigned to the proper equipment you have plugged in.

Next, you have optical out of the 211 and dvd into the corresponding optical inputs on the receiver? Again, these will be assign-able but the default setting should be like you read it in the manual and the same as how the inputs are labeled on the back of the receiver.

A lot of the receivers have the option you are talking about in that you can tell the receiver where to look for the audio stream , i.e. auto, optical, analog, etc... Be sure those are set to auto or optical.

The video should just be pass through so that shouldn't be anything with the receiver.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanya /forum/post/0

Kind of jumpy but let me get this straight:

you have component cables out of 211 and dvd INTO the component inputs on the receiver. Then a set of cable from receiver (monitor out?) to the tv's component input. I'm not familiar with that receiver but I'm sure that it has input assignment meaning you can switch things around if need be. Just make sure that the component inputs are assigned to the proper equipment you have plugged in.

Basically, YES - BUT I do not have Analog Cables and/or Monitor OUT from the A/V Receiver - the Manual explains that you only need one connection to the TV, could be SVideo, Monitor out, Composite, or Component Cables: I ran as per instructed Component Cables in for the 211 and the DVD - and Component Cables out - back to the TV. I think I have them assigned right - I get a TV picture.

Next, you have optical out of the 211 and dvd into the corresponding optical inputs on the receiver? Again, these will be assign-able but the default setting should be like you read it in the manual and the same as how the inputs are labeled on the back of the receiver.

I did find the option to ASSIGN these OPT Dig INPUTS and did it but still NO SOUND>

A lot of the receivers have the option you are talking about in that you can tell the receiver where to look for the audio stream , i.e. auto, optical, analog, etc... Be sure those are set to auto or optical.

The video should just be pass through so that shouldn't be anything with the receiver.

Could this have anything to do with what I am experincing? Previously, with the DISH 211 connected up to my HDTV - you have to go into INPUTS [on screen] for the TV and choose CABLE...........then go from there, can use Audio of the Set, Control Volume, and Picture Format all with the SAT Receiver + I had my old A/V receiver connected in at the same time.

NOW - with this New Onkyo it does not give you a Choice of CABLE in the Input area, to run it with my TV, I have to Push Receiiver and then Video1, Video 2....etc......NO Cable option. So now I had to Choose Video 2 in my HDTV Input and Video 2 on my Onkyo to get a picture.......BUT the SAT Box must NOT react the same as when it was operating as "Cable".. .... NO SOUND and NO control of picture format with this Video 2 setting on the TV.

TKS Michael

·
Registered
575 Posts
So what do the inputs say then on the back? Does it say Satellite or DTV instead of Cable?--- of the receiver

This sounds confusing and I think it is based in set up. Are you using the receiver as the main switcher for everything?

How bout you list the inputs on the receiver, not all of them, just the optical in and the component ins and outs. Then tell me what inputs you have on the back of the tv.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TKS ravnya for trying to help............I am enclosing a LINK to Onkyo's On Line Manuals - IF - you want to browse mine - again - it is the 603X.

I Burnt out on the project last night and could/did not watch and listen to any TV....fresh start and a few new ideas of what to try this AM....BUT ALL to NO avail....I get NO ColorStream HD Signal to my TV by using the Receivers Switching, I have now got Sound BUT NO Video either for the TV or the DVD.

I am going to now - FORGET trying to use this Component Switching Feature [which I paid about $100 extra for] and re-connect everything the way my previous A/V Receiver, HDTV, SAT Receiver, and DVD were connected and HOPE/PRAY I am able to use this SUCKER and did not buy a LEMON.

NEVER thought I'd say this, I have always been able to figure this stuff out myself and eventually get everything running - BUT - in this case I have been considering paying someone to come in and do it for me.

TKS Michael

http://www.onkyousa.com/own_manuals....1&cat=Receiver

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I have the dish 211 HD box. If I was closer, I would volunteer to look at it for you. the 211 HD box certainly still lets me use the aspect ratio controls when using HDMI for the connection.

I think there must be three things making you crazy and you just have never gotten all three things to the correct setting. I am having the hardest time following along though.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS John - wish you were closer too, maybe you could have solved this puzzle BUT I just wanted to tell you and ALL that read this thread - I Threw in the Towel and trying to get this Component Switching working correctly - AND - BOY am I GLAD that I did, because my HT System has NEVER NEVER sounded so SWEET...........I just went back to straight connect from my DISH 211 to the HDTV and same for DVD to HDTV........so now only using the Onkyo to handle Optical Digital Sound from both Components. So - once hooked back up, my old way, I was finally able to recieve HD Picture again with Digital Sound and I was WOWED by just how GREAT this A/V Receiver has made my total Sound System SOUND. For years I have tinkered and bought different Center Speakers in attempts to get nice CLEAR and understandable Dialog etc. from Center Screen, FINALLY - this A/V Receiver delivers just what I had sought in the past 3 receivers and various speakers. I NEVER normally watch the RAVE Channel [music concerts etc,] BUT now that might change with the Clarity of Vocals and the ambience of being IN the Crowd with this new 7.1 is ASTOUNDING.

To HECK with that Switching Feature..........I am a HAPPY Camper!

BEST to ya', Michael

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm glad that you are satisfied with it. It's a shame that you couldn't get the video switching fixed. You do pay extra for receivers that can do that. But if it doesn't bother you, then so be it. There are a lot of video purists that bypass all in one pre/pro/switchers either way because they either want a direct run like what you are doing, or they run things to a dedicated video processor.

Enjoy the sound!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.