AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was hoping to get a little help picking out an antenna from the pros. I live in 68803 with the following stats below. I was thinking about going with the CM 4221. Is this a good choice for my situation? Will I need a preamp with distances as follows? I only have 2 tvs hooked up max and will start with 1 for now. The only problem I don’t know how to address is the low vhf channel. What do you all suggest? Im open to any and all suggests on what kind of setup to get. Any other advice? There are so many choices, I just want to get the best bang for the buck and get a good solid setup. Thanks in advance for the help.

Yellow uhf KHNE 29 PBS 112° 18.2 29

*yellow uhf KHNE-DT 28.1 PBS 112° 8.1 28

*yellow uhf KGIN-DT 11.1 CBS 220° 29.8 32

Yellow uhf KTVG 17 FOX 213° 14.4 17

*yellowPTFeb uhf KHGI-DT 36.1 ABC 231° 29.4 36

Green vhf KGIN 11 CBS 220° 29.8 11

* greenPTFeb uhf KTVG-DT 19.1 FOX 213° 14.4 19

* green uhf KTVG-DT 17.1 FOX 213° 14.4 19

lt green vhf KHGI 13 ABC 230° 28.7 13

*redPTFeb vhf KGIN-DT 11.1 CBS 220° 29.8 11

*redPTFeb vhf KHAS-DT 5.1 NBC 172° 16.6 5

*red uhf KHGI-DT 13.1 ABC 231° 28.9 36

Blue vhf KHAS 5 NBC 172° 16.6 5

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Will there be a low VHF chs after next Feb that you'll want to watch? If so, the 4221 won't be enough. For the rest, the 4221 is a good place to start - I'd hold off on the amp till you see what's needed. You may want to ask this in your local HDTV thread - some of your neighbors may have ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to get vhf 5 after the switch in Feb. I know Ill need some sort of low VHF solution to get this channel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would take a rabbit ear antenna and see if you can receive the VHF channel. If you can you have your answer. If not, then you will likely need a separate solution for that. The bow tie antennas seem to be the best for UHF, I prefer the 4 stack bow tie, but whatever works.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateway1080 /forum/post/14190249

I would like to get vhf 5 after the switch in Feb. I know Ill need some sort of low VHF solution to get this channel.

If you're installing an outdoor antenna, check here for VHF lowband antennas. You'll need to combine it with a good UHF antenna like the CM4221 or 4228, which will pick up your UHFs and also highband VHF channel 11 (digital in 2009) if you're not too far from the transmitters.

You might get more specific help on what antennas work in your area from your local info thread. Find it HERE .

·
Registered
131 Posts
i just installed a Winegard HD-5030 (PR-5030) last week and its a fine antenna for ch. 2-13. From my location in Pasco Co. just north of Tampa, Orlando channels on 6 and 9 come in all day here, better starting late afternoons but do come in all day at a distance of 80+ miles. Digitals from there also strong at night. I think the antenna was the perfect choice for me anyway. Couldn't get anything any longer because of a tree. Purchased from Solid Signal.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/14212214

Is your NBC affilate staying on 21 or are they reverting back to low band ch. 5??

KHAS-DT NBC 5 is currently slated to perform a flash cut to VHF 5 next February, moving it's digital signal off of UHF 21. The Lincoln NE DMA shows no less than 5 other stations planning to do flash cuts from UHF to upper VHF (7,8, 10, 11, 12) next February, although two of these are satellite stations. See Falcon_77's spreadsheet or Trip's RabbitEars website links at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=823166 .

His stations will require full VHF and UHF band coverage. Could combine a CM 4221 UHF antenna and a medium range VHF antenna (less directional than long range) with a rotator.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Are these few stations that are reverting back to the low band doing so for the additional coverage the low band offers?

Are these low band holdouts just in rual areas?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/14213399

Are these few stations that are reverting back to the low band doing so for the additional coverage the low band offers?

Farther coverage with less power. Mostly in remote markets covering large areas.

Never mind the impulse noise that, at currently allotted power levels, makes these channels basically unusable for DTV.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/14213399

Well, WPVI-DT ABC 6 in Philadelphia which will move from UHF 64 to VHF 6 next February is not a rural station. Most of the 40 DT stations currently set to move or stay on low VHF are in smaller cities or rural areas, but not all. There are a number of reasons for staying on low VHF: lower operating costs, save money by using the current analog antenna & transmitter equipment, want the in theory better coverage over hilly terrain, or in the case of a WPVI, lost the game of musical chairs in the channel assignments with no good UHF or upper VHF channels to move to. However, 53 stations so far have filed petitions asking for different post-transition channel assignment since the FCC lifted the filing freeze at the beginning of June. There may be a few more stations that will be able to move off of low VHF - if they want to - if another station moves to a different channel. But this is better discussed in the official Final DTV table of allotments sticky thread in the Local forum as this is of concern to gateway1080 who was looking for antenna advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts