AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am building my first home theater from seperates, always wanted to do so when i was a kid but never had the money, now that i do, most of it goes to my mortgage ;)



Heres what I have so far, I got a good deal on JBL E80s & JBL EC35 center, so I have them sitting in my living room. I will be getting an SVS PB10 sub pretty soon.


Of course all of the above is useless without a receiver eh? So after researching for 1.5 months & reading countless reviews I have shortlisted my choices to the Denon AVR-2105 & the Yamaha RX-V757 , both which I can get for $400 +/- a few $.


Both have nice reviews & I have never used any seperates apart from Marantz (which belonged to my dad & still does) so both of these guys will be new for me.


Any advise as to which one is prefered over what will be really helpful.


FYI I will be using it for 50% music & 50% movies, it will be connected to my PC also , so MP3s will be heard quite a bit.


Thanks in advance for any help :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarncross
Go out and use both and see which you prefer. BTW, seperates means seperate amps, pre-pro, tuner, not avr receivers....
You mean to buy both ? I just wanted to know what experiences you guys have had with both of these brands, more like which is good at what.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb
You mean to buy both ? I just wanted to know what experiences you guys have had with both of these brands, more like which is good at what.
There is a similar thread here . I suggest you also do a search in this forum or the archive as this question has been asked several times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmexec
There is a similar thread I suggest you also do a search in this forum or the archive as this question has been asked several times.
I see that you live in Brooklyn, I live in Queens, know any place where I can listen to both or each one at individual places ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb
I see that you live in Brooklyn, I live in Queens, know any place where I can listen to both or each one at individual places ?
J&R retails both Denon and Yamaha. Last time I checked, they did have both models but it is not a an ideal listening area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmexec
J&R retails both Denon and Yamaha. Last time I checked, they did have both models but it is not a an ideal listening area.
What would be an ideal listening area then ? If not JnR then where? I am not arguing but I am really asking since I have never bought anything before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb
What would be an ideal listening area then ? If not JnR then where? I am not arguing but I am really asking since I have never bought anything before.
What I mean by ideal listening area is that J&R, unlike more dedicated audio outlets like Park Ave. Audio (park Ave. South) or Sound by Singer (nr Union Square), do not have a dedicated sound room where the systems are setup for demo and the room is acoustically treated. J&R just has a room where you can hear a receiver connected to a pair of speakers. There is no allowance for proper setup of the AVR level as would be the case in the other places I mentioned.


Sound by Singer carries Denon (although maybe the higher end stuff). You can check on the Yamaha web site for dealers in NY in case there is a place that has decent demo resources. Otherwise the other option is to demo in your own home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright thanks for the information, I will pay them a visit may be after work today. Since I am more inclined towards Denon, will be enough to power the JBLs ? Its rated at 90wpc @ 8ohm & heres what JBL has to say about the E80s :


• Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 200 Watts

• Power Handling (Continuous/Peak): 100 Watts/400 Watts

• Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal


Does this mean that MINIMUM wpc requirement of the speaker is 100 watts? Thanks for any help you can provide !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb
Alright thanks for the information, I will pay them a visit may be after work today. Since I am more inclined towards Denon, will be enough to power the JBLs ? Its rated at 90wpc @ 8ohm & heres what JBL has to say about the E80s :


• Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 200 Watts

• Power Handling (Continuous/Peak): 100 Watts/400 Watts

• Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal


Does this mean that MINIMUM wpc requirement of the speaker is 100 watts? Thanks for any help you can provide !
No it does not mean that the minimum power required to drive the speaker is 100W but rather that the speaker handles continuous power at 100W but will peak at 400W. I would recommend trying the AVR with the speakers you are pairing it with to see if it sounds right for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
I wouldn't use yamaha. I have an Yamaha HTR-5740 and it's most likely rated at 85wpc not 100 like some places. I heard the Yamaha are underpowered vs other receivers. They should nice though, but not as good as it could be. I have E80s as well as you can tell in my sig. I'm thinking of pairing it up with the Pioneer or the Onkyo tx-sr702 which I hear is a nice a/v receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
As I said before, as well as what others say, you should try to listen to the receiver and/or speakers you intend to pair together for yourself than decide. If however, you are fixated on the "all channels driven" thing, check out this and then this article
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmexec
As I said before, as well as what others say, you should try to listen to the receiver and/or speakers you intend to pair together for yourself than decide. If however, you are fixated on the "all channels driven" thing, check out this and then this article
Thanks much cmexec for all your replies. I am not fixated on anything, just want to get something that makes me happy when I listen to it.


For now I think I will just demo at my place as I can tune & spend time listening as long as I want, I will start with the Denon since I like the features it provides.


I will let you know how it sounds with the JBL, I have no sub yet so this will be a true test of my components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I got the receiver yesterday & as of now I only connected the front 2 speakers. I really like the clarity , soundstage. I put in my CD of Mike Oldfield & I really enjoyed listening to every song on the CD, even the ones I usually skip !


I obviously felt the lack of a sub but thats just my speakers. This is my first receiver & I think its worth every penny I paid for it.


However, I was able to take the volume full (the speakers are 8 months old so they are already broken in) & not feel the volume to be that loud or deafening. Is it supposed to be like that? Or is it something that I am missing ?


I did set the front speaker to "large".. Thanks for any help in advance :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viwake
I think u have not mentioned finally which receiver did you pick up ?
I got the Denon but just a few days after that my friend was getting rid of his Marantz SR6200 for a lot less, which IMO sounds better than the Denon, atleast to me. So I returned the Denon & picked up the Marantz.


When I hooked my JBLs with the Marantz, the sound seemed to have more range, as it sounded better than the few days that I was used to with the Denon.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top