AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my VGA to RGBHV breakout cable (5 plug) and was ready to rock n roll. I should have known it would not be this easy.

The TV is a Mitsubishi 65413. I set my DTV input to RGBHV mode (I think). Used powerstrip to set my output on my Inspiron 8500 laptop to 540p resolution. Hooked up the breakout cable... Toggled the laptop to display from the VGA port... anddddd... NOTHING. No signal. Nothing. I have no idea what is wrong. I have tried the laptop at every resolution with no difference whatsoever. Hooked up an external monitor to the laptop was pushing a signal out the VGA port. I tried every combo of everything I could think of, and yet all I am getting on the DTV signal is a blank blue screen.

As for the 'I Think' with having the DTV input set to RGBHV, the only way I could find to do it in the manual was to go to the NetCommand menu, activate DTV, and change it to RGBHV.

Kind of at my witt's end here, any thoguhts would be very appreciative.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Remove Powerstrip settings. Switch to VGA mode. Check whether POST/boot screens are shown. If yes, start to play w/Powestrip. If no, check your connections and your TV settings. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
1) Are you using Powerstrip? Make sure the scan rate is ~33.75KHz refresh rate is ~59.94Hz and total vertical lines is 563, and both syncs are positive.

2) Try flipping the H&V (black & white) connectors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have powerstrip installed, I had chosen the resolotion of 1920x540p originally (my laptop default resolotion is 1920x1200 so it handled this fine) and when that didnt work i dropped it down to 800x600 without any change. I will check out the scan and refresh rates as well. I guess if they are not within an acceptable range to the TV it will just refuse to display anything? I will also try to see if anything outputs during the POST sequence as soon as I can reboot.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clouser

I guess if they are not within an acceptable range to the TV it will just refuse to display anything?

Affirmative... Mitsubishi sets are particularly sensitive to scan rate values.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Teeps
Well you guys gave me a few directions to go with this, I'll give this all a shot tonight since I have nothing better to do while Isabela comes storming by :) As long as its not the hardware (i.e. TV or the cable) I don't mind tweaking it out until it works.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
You must check out the guide stuck at the top of the page. Your set wont display just any old Windows resolution, they must be locked to HDTV-safe timings!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi clouser,

I had the exact same problem with my Mits WS55805. I had the HD1080 box attached when I first started my HTPC journey. I unhooked it an plugged in my HTPC with break-out cable. AND it did not work.

Here was my solution... I unplugged the TV. Disconnect the HDTV tuner (HD1080). Connected the HTPC. Turned the PC on. Turned the TV on. The TV display the lost power message and the DTV input then displayed the boot sequence for the PC.

I had to go through this exercise each time a wanted to watch HDTV. But now I have an HDTV card in the PC. Good luck!

-Greg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
You must check out the guide stuck at the top of the page. Your set wont display just any old Windows resolution, they must be locked to HDTV-safe timings!!!
scan rate is ~33.75KHz refresh rate is ~59.94Hz and total vertical lines is 563, and both syncs are positive.

Other than these, are there any other timings I have to wory about just in terms of getting the image on screen? Virtually all the timings available on this forum are for ATI cards, so I figured for my Geforce 4 4200 Go I would have to figure them out as I went.

I can also try power cycling the TV between hookups as suggested by mistagreg

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was able to get 480p and 540p to work on my Mits. You can do upto 1920 lines as long as it is 540p. I was never able to get 1080i to work ... I slaved over Karis's document. I never went back to try to display MyHD's 1080i my the Mits.

My biggest issue with HTPC on the Mits was overscan. You'll notice it when you get it running. The tweaks never, ever stop...

-Greg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mistagreg
I was able to get 480p and 540p to work on my Mits. You can do upto 1920 lines as long as it is 540p. I was never able to get 1080i to work ... I slaved over Karis's document. I never went back to try to display MyHD's 1080i my the Mits.

My biggest issue with HTPC on the Mits was overscan. You'll notice it when you get it running. The tweaks never, ever stop...

-Greg
Hey if you don't mind, do you think you could make a screen cap (so you don't need to type them out) of your 1920x540p powerstrip timings? I am sure I will need to tweak since you are probably using a different video card, but it might give me a good base to start from.

Also, does your mits just output the 540p signal as 1080i, or does it actually say 540p on the TV when you press the info button?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uggh well nothing seems to be working. Even on boot no image makes it to the TV, dropped res to 640x480 and verified that scan rate was 34, refresh was 60 etc. For the record, power strip would not let me enter partial numbers, I had to round. I grapped another PC, dropped it to 640x480 also and this one had no power strip installed. SAME problem. Now I am thinking TV config issue?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm abit confused on exactly what you've tried but:

First thing I'd try is hooking a regular vga cable up to an external PC monitor. If it shows boot screens on external monitor then shut the comp off and unplug it. Now, go to your TV, go to menu> Setup> Input assignment, and set your DTV input from yprpb to RGB. Now plug the breakout cable into the TV, colors match and with black cable goes in the yellow, and gray in the white. Now start the computer up, you should see a bootup screen, if not then there is something wrong with the cable or the TV. If you get a bootup screen on your TV then you should be going the the right direction.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto
I'm abit confused on exactly what you've tried but:

First thing I'd try is hooking a regular vga cable up to an external PC monitor. If it shows boot screens on external monitor then shut the comp off and unplug it. Now, go to your TV, go to menu> Setup> Input assignment, and set your DTV input from yprpb to RGB. Now plug the breakout cable into the TV, colors match and with black cable goes in the yellow, and gray in the white. Now start the computer up, you should see a bootup screen, if not then there is something wrong with the cable or the TV. If you get a bootup screen on your TV then you should be going the the right direction.
I actually did this a few min ago and it DID work at 640x480 when I did it this way (first using external monitor). Can someone explain this one though... if I play any type of media, mpg avi, divx etc, the screen freaks out and goes blank. as soon as i close the video clip, the screen comes back. Of course, any other res I can't get to work at all :(

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Well, at least you know the TV is receiving the signal..

Now try and copy these timing from your clipboard on the add custom resolution page on powerstrip:

PowerStrip timing parameters:

1920x540=1920,168,104,248,540,0,8,15,82350,7

Generic timing details for 1920x540:

HFP=168 HSW=104 HBP=248 kHz=34 VFP=0 VSW=8 VBP=15 Hz=60

Add the resolution and try to go to it.

It will be a useable screen, but stretched out, I'm writing this at 1920x540 now.

I wouldn't worry about playing media yet since that will be software problems with codecs and video players etc..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Well, at least you know the TV is receiving the signal..

Now try and copy these timing from your clipboard on the add custom resolution page on powerstrip:

PowerStrip timing parameters:

1920x540=1920,168,104,248,540,0,8,15,82350,7

Generic timing details for 1920x540:

HFP=168 HSW=104 HBP=248 kHz=34 VFP=0 VSW=8 VBP=15 Hz=60

Add the resolution and try to go to it.

It will be a useable screen, but stretched out, I'm writing this at 1920x540 now.

I wouldn't worry about playing media yet since that will be software problems with codecs and video players etc..
Ok... I go to Display Profiles > Configure > I change the resolution to 1290x540, which applies successfully. I click on Advanced timing, and click paste. It tells me the timings do not match the resolution, but it will add it to the custom resolutions. I go to custom resolutions and select the now listed 1290x540, then click add resolution. I click ok, and all the timings match the original defaults not yours. I try to paste again, and it says once more that they are not meant for that resolution :( I go back to custom resolutions and select 1290x540, and for active pixels it lists 1290x1200, it probably did this before too and i missed it(the default resolution for my screen), I manually set to 1290x540, click add resolution, and same problem, the timings are the default ones and i cannot apply any others. The 1920x540 displays perfectly fine on the PC (black bars on top and bottom). I don't know how they work well enough to type them in by hand (not sure what goes where).

As for the video playback issue, the movies display fine on the computer screen while playing, the video screwu-p is JUST on the tv. as soon as i close media player or windvd the TV's 640x480 output returns. Weird. Oh and for the record, the 640x480 output is 480p not 480i, if that helps tell you anything

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bumping for help,

where I am at right now is, 640x480 works (but any attempt to play video the TV goes back to blue screen) , and any other resolution sends TV to blue screen. Cannot get power strip to take custom/resolutions timings posted here or in Karnis's guide, powerstrip says they are invalid or ignores them :(

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Something might be wrong with your powerstrip. What vide card do you have?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Something might be wrong with your powerstrip. What vide card do you have?
Nvidia Geforce 4 4200 Go 64MB. I deleted my pstrip.ini and let it recreate incase it was corrupted, that didnt help either

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The posted timings are for Radeon cards ONLY, as stated in the first paragraph of the guide. More than likely it wont work at all because laptop video chipset drivers are VERY limited in what resolutions/timings are accepted due to the nature of laptop displays.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.