AVS Forum banner

Please help: no sound coming out of the sub-woofer

487 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Greg Ulate 
#1 ·
A few mth. ago, I notice there is no sound coming out of my sub-woofer. So I loosen all screws and taken apart the sub woofer and see if any capacitor has plagued out. Turns out the whole sub-woofer is fine, and when I connect this to someone else's house, the sub-woofer works fine

So I bring it back, and I assume the cable is defective. But after I connect the cable, sound comes out. So then I assume it's some sort of temporary short circuit. As everything works fine since.

Now, I have the power cable of this sub-woofer connects to my power bar, and I have to turn on the power bar to get sound, so, tonight, I re-wire the power cable to another outlet, with everything else untouch. And you guess it, after I re-wire to a different outlet, there is no sound.

Can someone verify my setting:

Phase is set at 180 degree

A switch says AV +3dB is pointing down, in which there is no indication whether switch up is +3dB or vice versa

High pass is set at 80Hz (with the option of 40 or 80Hz)

Low Pass is set at 40Hz

The level, and I am quite sure, is set at 0, and all these time, there is good base come out.

========

so the next thing I do, is to switch to a different cable, eventhough everything works as of a few hr. ago before I switch the plug.

With level set at 6, there is low hump sound coming out of the sub-woofer.

Then I move the sub-woofer back to the original spot, and connects the old cable back to the spot that says SUB. Now, w/ the level set at 6, there is low hump sound.

The only difference is, I have to TURN ON the sub-woofer. In the past, it is at Auto-ON.

Also, I am sure the level was at 0 all these years, so I can't understand why I need to move to 6. What should this no. be?

See less See more
#3 ·
The sub connected directly to the yamaha receiver. As of just now, I finished watching 1 movie, and the auto power on did not turn on.

Now, if the flip the switch from Auto On to ON, then I can get very good sound from the sub-woofer. But the auto-ON was functioning on Fri. night before I do the re-wiring. All I did is pull the plug from the power bar to another power outlet

I just can't fig. out what is wrong. The sub-woofer was functional yesterday. If I don't re-wire the power cord, nothing would have changed

#4 ·
Auto-on circuits can be very sensitive to electrical interference....just changing the outlet it is plugged in to can cause it to not work correctly. Why don't you just plug it back in to the old outlet that you know works?

#5 ·
Is your receiver set to 5.1 or just stereo. I run 2.1 and had this happen once and realized I had switch the source mode. Worth a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.