AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Have been umming and arring about building a new computer and have decided that the best way forward for me would be a HTPC.

I currently have a Samsung LE40A656 LCD TV (40"). Attached to this, I have a Topfield PVR 5800 (for Freeview), a regular DVD Player and a Freesat satellite receiver (and an old computer used just for occasional browsing). I would like to get rid all of this and replace with a decent computer build.

I would like to build a rig that runs full high definition Blue Ray, can receive both freeview and Freesat signals both dual signal and with regards the latter,capable of showing the few HD channels. I would also like the option of adding on some decent speakers at a later date.

I am not a massive gamer but considering that I shall have this rigged up to the telly, would like to be able to play some occasional games. Other uses would include converting recorded media (films etc.) to burn on DVD and converting media to put on an ipod. As the I shall be using the computer as a regular PVR, it also needs to be remote control compliant.

The computer must, of course, be quiet and as efficient as possible.

I realise that this is a big ask and do not know where to start.

I know that the P183 is possibly one of the quietest cases out there and would happily use this case to keep things quiet and cool, but would like to consider a HTPC case if one is just as good.

With regards the mobo, I know that the i5 is coming out shortly and was wondering whether I should wait a couple of months and go with one of these.

I am also planning on getting windows 7 64-bit.

Your recommendations for the build would be much appreciated.

Budget wise, as low as possible, but I reckon £1,000, but would go above if absolutely necessary

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sad to say, you won't be receiving either of those signals. In order to get satellite into the HTPC, you'll need to connect the set top box to a capture card with AV cables. If you want HD channels, I'd suggest going with the Hauppauge HD 1212, as it's really your only option.

Bluray is easy, as you can pick up a drive for $60. If you want to get the best out of the Bluray experience, get an ASUS Xonar HDAV sound card to get full TruHD surround (it's currently the only line that allows for it). If you don't want to spend the extra $150-300 for the sound card, then you can just use on board audio which most motherboards have really impressive 7.1 capabilities.

For the case, I have an Antec Fusion and it does EXTREMELY well with cooling and noise, but there are other alternatives out there. Others on this forum can help you out with that.

You don't need a core i series chip. That's a bit overkill for a HTPC... even for gaming. Unless you want to run Crysis at 30+fps on this thing, I'd stick to mid-range budget components. There's really no reason to spend more than $600 on an HTPC (unless you upgrade the soundcard or get a bluray burner).

Windows 7 is definitely your best bet.

I hope that's a good start. It sounded like you needed more of a general platform of answers. If you really want, I can help come up with a list of components to suite your needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Have been back to the drawing board and have realised that I should be building an HTPC that is as quiet and efficient as possible and that for gaming, I should be buying a new computer (which I shall think about next year).

I have come to the conclusion that I should begin with a 5050e and and ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. What do you think?

Thx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.