AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I just bought a Samsung 42" Plasma TV. I have a DVD/VCR Combo unit as well as a SA4300HD Cable Rcvr.

How on earth do I hook everything up to work and get the best picture quality.

What does the HDMI give me and why should I use that and how do I use it. (I went out and bought the cable)

I have several different sources on my Samsung Plasma.....HDMI, S-Video, AV, AIR, Cable. But what are they all for.

How should I be watching TV. For example: I want to watch regular NON-HD broadcasing (NBC, ABC etc. ) Can I watch that on the HDMI source and not have to worry about damaging my Plasma due to screen burn or am I supposed to switch the source to something else.

Please help, I have spent the last three days and still and not getting the GIST of how to watch HD, NON HD , VCR, DVD etc.

ThankYou.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You should post your questions in the plasma forum [ Display Devices / Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays ]. This is the first time I've even looked in this forum and that's only because I usually check "New Posts" upon first arrival at Avsforum. Some people only go to their forum(s) of choice such as the one I referenced above.

I have a 2+ year old RP-LCD so no HDMI. I have an older comcast/Motorola HD-DVR and connect to my set through my AV receiver over component. I also split the coax, after the box, and give the set a direct feed so it can tune the analog tier for regular SD stuff like Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, etc. My DVD (CD)changer is connected to the AVR then to the set. My VCR feeds the set directly using its own AV cabling. It gets its RF signal from that same split going directly to the TV. That is, a 2-way 5-1000GHz splitter, one leg to cable box and the other leg to another splitter feeding a DVDR, VCR, TV, and a S/A Tivo. The tivo is slaved to the VCR, that is, they share the same input to the TV. Thus, I can dump Tivo content to the VCR. By switching the AV leads, I can transfer Tivo to the DVDR. The DVDR has its own AV connection to the screen.

Yeah, it's a bit complicated until you see it in action.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike6by9
You should post your questions in the plasma forum [ Display Devices / Plasma and LCD Flat Panel Displays ]. This is the first time I've even looked in this forum and that's only because I usually check "New Posts" upon first arrival at Avsforum. Some people only go to their forum(s) of choice such as the one I referenced above.

I have a 2+ year old RP-LCD so no HDMI. I have an older comcast/Motorola HD-DVR and connect to my set through my AV receiver over component. I also split the coax, after the box, and give the set a direct feed so it can tune the analog tier for regular SD stuff like Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, etc. My DVD (CD)changer is connected to the AVR then to the set. My VCR feeds the set directly using its own AV cabling. It gets its RF signal from that same split going directly to the TV. That is, a 2-way 5-1000GHz splitter, one leg to cable box and the other leg to another splitter feeding a DVDR, VCR, TV, and a S/A Tivo. The tivo is slaved to the VCR, that is, they share the same input to the TV. Thus, I can dump Tivo content to the VCR. By switching the AV leads, I can transfer Tivo to the DVDR. The DVDR has its own AV connection to the screen.

Yeah, it's a bit complicated until you see it in action.

YMMV
Nice thread idea,good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.