AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit I know absolutely nothing about plasma TV, technically atleast. I know the pic is the best; hence the reason I plan on getting one. I know it's not a lot but I have a $1700 budget and want atleast a 42". Could you guys give me some suggestions? I plan on getting one in the next couple weeks. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The prices on the Panasonic plasmas right now are insane! Granted the Pioneer plasmas are very nice too, but for a 42" you are looking at close to twice the price vs an identical Panasonic. Check them out, you won't be sorry.

[EDIT]

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP666 /forum/post/0

I admit I know absolutely nothing about plasma TV, technically atleast. I know the pic is the best; hence the reason I plan on getting one. I know it's not a lot but I have a $1700 budget and want atleast a 42". Could you guys give me some suggestions? I plan on getting one in the next couple weeks. Thank you very much.

For $1700 I'd recommend buying a TH-42PX60U or the TH-42PD60U . These entry level Panasonic PDPs use the same glass as the high end 720p display in their category. Both of these displays are for sale at your local B&M.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Have you considered DLP? You can get a 50" Sammy DLP for around $1400 and in my opinion it blows away all Plasma & LCD sets. You don't have to worry about IR or burn in and you can have 1080P now at a bargan price. I just got a plasma because my wife insisted on a TV can she could hang on the wall.

Jon

·
Banned
2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP666 /forum/post/0

I would check the price of the 4270HD from the forum sponsors. You might be surprised how close you can get to your budget. There is a reason the Pioneer is more expensive IMO.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can heartily recommend the HP plasmas. Excellent picture quality. Right now there is a great price on the 50" to put it in your budget or save some money and get the 42". Various deals through Best Buy and HP online.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/0

For $1700 I'd recommend buying a TH-42PX60U or the TH-42PD60U. These entry level Panasonic PDPs use the same glass as the high end 720p display in their category. Both of these displays are for sale at your local B&M.

I just paid $300 less than that at BB for the TH42PX60U. Beautiful picture, deep rich colors. Very happy.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisclearman /forum/post/0

Almost every 42" plasma is 1024x768, which means it can NOT display every single pixel of 720p (1280x720). Does it really matter? You'll have to decide if you care about those extra vertical lines.

I don't think it matters. As a matter of fact, I remain in the ED camp for a 42" display. You get better contrast AND can get subjectively better PQ when viewed by the average person side by side. Add price to the equation and you have a winner.

As cheap as 42" is these days, I think the ED/HD debate is pretty useless. On to the 1080P debate...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too am looking to get the Panasonic TH42PX60U very soon. I noticed some people referring to site sponsors selling them, where do I find the links, and/or which specific sponsors should I consider to get the best price for that model?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumadar /forum/post/0

I too am looking to get the Panasonic TH42PX60U very soon. I noticed some people referring to site sponsors selling them, where do I find the links, and/or which specific sponsors should I consider to get the best price for that model?

The top and bottom of this page...check out cleveland plasma, invision, plasma concepts, and visual apex.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild /forum/post/0

At 1024x768, not even true 720p really -- probably not the best choice in the newly minted 1080p world.

Resolution is about the fifth-most-important factor relating to picture quality. Contrast Ratio, color fidelity, black levels, etc. are all more important than a few thousand pixels that the average person can't even resolve optically.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.