AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my new Marantz S2 delivered next week to replace my Sharp 9000.

How important is DVI?

I will have DVI outputs on my Samsung 160 DSS HD satellite receiver but I have yet to find a DVI output DVD Player.

Is there one?

Which one should I feed by component and which one by DVI, or neither?

I did find a DVI cable that can go 25 feet to 75 feet at inlineinc.com.

The Marantz S2 is DVI-D input.

Is the Samsung HD DSS DVI-D output or is it DVI-A or DVI-I?

Do I want to install the Marantz at the longest possible throw distance?

My Sharp is at 171" from the screen.

My FireHawk 16x9 screen is 94" wide.

Should I use any keystoning?

Do you find the Marantz S2 quieter than the Sharp 9000 I am replacing?

Do you find it brighter?

Less artifacts?

Any thing on the Marantz S2 that is not as good as the Sharp or disappointing?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Rick - from what I understand there are a few very high end scalers/DVD players entering the market which have DVI output ($4k+). Probably best to plan to use component for now.

Regarding keystoning - avoid it if at all possible, especially since you'd wind up making the scaler work on native 720p HD content when normally (without keystoning) it wouldn't requite any scaling. That could lead to some scaling artifacts.

The S2 has a manual lens shift option, so there should be no need to use keystoning.

Yes, install close to the max throw distance (I like to recommend leaving a few inches to spare in case the throw chart/specs are off...). That is generally said to provide the best picture.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd

Yes, install close to the max throw distance (I like to recommend leaving a few inches to spare in case the throw chart/specs are off...). That is generally said to provide the best picture.
I have heard this echoed by a few other here, and never really followed it much, but I was just thinking, and the differences may be so minuscule, as to it not really being worth much discussion. But WTH, this is AVS, we dissect everything right?

Wouldn't it be true that the closer you place your projector, the brighter the image? I'm thinking the further away the projector from the screen, the less light intensity the screen receives. Or is it only the size of the image that hampers brightness?

I just think, that a 92 inch diagonal image would be brighter from 10 feet away then 12 feet. If I'm way off here, please don't hesitate to correct me, cause its only a guess at best.

Something to consider.

MovieMan

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Rick,

I receive my S2 about a month ago. It's incredible and you will love it. Very quiet. I have not used the DVI input yet (No source yet) I've read mixed feelings on it so far. If you use the DVI input for a DVD player, you do not get the excellent Faroujda deinterlacing processing. The DVI input is a pretty straight signal path to the output. Excellent for HD, but not so good for DVD. (Unless you have a super high-end DVD player that includes Fj or better processing)

Now, my experience and many others has been other than the DVI input, the RGB input is much better for HD sources than the Component Input. Not to get too deep, but it's a much cleaner signal path. (Even Marantz's Dan Miller run's his S2 this way... Sat receiver into a Extron Component-to-RGB transcoder then into the RGB in on the S2) Comparing a HD source into both the RGB & Component is no contest, the RGB is much better in every way.

Just some other notes...

When i received my S2 and hooked up the component inputs. I thought it was not working correctly! The S2 out of the factory has the presets (Theater, Standard etc) set way too sharp. Luckily, you can easily adjust all the color, sharpness etc. parameters. It'll make the image much smoother with less jaggies.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MovieMan
I have heard this echoed by a few other here, and never really followed it much, but I was just thinking, and the differences may be so minuscule, as to it not really being worth much discussion. But WTH, this is AVS, we dissect everything right?

Wouldn't it be true that the closer you place your projector, the brighter the image? I'm thinking the further away the projector from the screen, the less light intensity the screen receives. Or is it only the size of the image that hampers brightness?

I just think, that a 92 inch diagonal image would be brighter from 10 feet away then 12 feet. If I'm way off here, please don't hesitate to correct me, cause its only a guess at best.

Something to consider.

MovieMan
Yes, I agree it seems counter-intuitive. I think you are correct about the brightness being slightly reduced as you move backwards - ultimately I think this is what helps achieve slightly better contrast at the further distance...

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
You guys are remember the the law of physics that light intensity decreases as the square of the distance. However we are using a zoom lens to reduce what would otherwise be an ever widening image assuming a fixed focal length lens continually moved back. We adjust the zoom to keep a constant image size. Now all light goes through the lens. Perhaps changing the zoom affects the brightness a little because of reflections or changes in the effective F stop of the lens. The longer the zoom (throw distance) the higher the effective F stop of the lens? (have I got this right?) Higher is less good than lower for light gathering purposes.

Another consideration is that most zoom lenses (I might say all zoom lenses) are not as good at their extremes. With photography lenses, distortions etc go way down if you stop the aperture down a bit and stay away from the ends of the zoom ranges.

Perhaps our thread physicist Dr. Greenspan (I hope I have this right) can jump in and set my explanation straight.

Eric. Please give me a call at 301 570 7617. I am home sick.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Mark, I'm going to be out your way over Christmas week. If you have the 7200 set up, sure would like to see it. Mike Ferrera said he'd also like to come along at the same time. I'm in town from 21-28 December. Will you be around on 27 December? My email is [email protected] .

Dan Houck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.