AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through numerous threads, I have narrowed my choices to the Pioneer VSX-1120-k and the Yamaha RX-V1900. It will be used 80% tv-movie and 20% music. Any big differences or am I good with either choice? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have owned numerous yamaha,s. U can't go wrong with their HT and Stereo sound...way better sound quality than the pioneer. In my opinion.. More musical... Hope this helps.. U can get the 1900 at great prices right now...!

·
Banned
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 /forum/post/19566862

I have owned numerous yamaha,s. U can't go wrong with their HT and Stereo sound...way better sound quality than the pioneer. In my opinion.. More musical... Hope this helps.. U can get the 1900 at great prices right now...!

I guess it's a matter of choice. they are both good receivers and will do the job. I have owned several Pioneer units and I have always been very happy with them...particularly their power output. the 1120 would be a solid choice and on sale at BB for $499.99 it's very tough to beat

·
Registered
444 Posts
A lot of the stuff i'm going to mention below probably wouldn't and shouldn't matter. Here goes anyway:

1. Isn't the upconversion superior on the 667 vs. the 1900? As well as on the 1120?

2. The 667 is HDMI 1.4 (if you care, I probably don't)

4. The 1900 appears to have a beefier power supply/amp section vs. the 1120

I would go listen to both of them, or a comparable Yamaha. Last year's Yamaha's had a bed rep due to wimpy power supplies, but this isn't the case on the 1900. The 1120 seems to be the star of Pioneer's Receiver lineup this year, as the rest of the line was cheapened (check the wattage requirements, and you'll see that the 1120 needs around 400W while the 1019 and below are around 245W going by memory, this is a significant step down from last year).

I listened to a Yamaha vs. Pioneer Elite a couple days ago, and the Yamaha sounded far better to me. Although I can't remember if it was the VSX-32 or 31, which would make a difference (30 and 31 appear to share the wimpy specs of the 919 and 1019, while the 32/33 apepar similar to the 1120).

At the current price the 1900 seems like a bargain if upconversion isn't a big deal to you. The components are likely to be better all around as the original MSRP was far higher than the original MSRP of the 1120. The only things you'd be missing out on would be HDMI 1.4 for 3D, and perhaps upconversion.

·
Registered
444 Posts
According to an older thread comparing the 1065 and the 1900, the 1900 supposedly doesn't do HDMI pass-through (in case you want to watch TV with the receiver off, using the TV's speakers or something).

It's also HDMI switching (so the source is not upconverted just switched) with analog sources being upconverted (most people don't even have analog sources anymore).

The amp section appears to be high end, and similar to the higher end models in Yamaha's line. If you care more about the sound than features than get the 1900, if the features are important go with the 1120.

I'd also suggest looking at the 667 as it's amp section is powerful (400W consumption vs. 500W on the 1900) so it's similar to the 1120, but can be had very slightly cheaper and offers the Yamaha sound.

Best Buy should have the Pioneers (or at least the Elites hooked up in the Magnolia section which are similar) and the Yamaha's (can't remember if it was the 667 or the virtually identical A-700). Listen to them both and see which one you prefer. As mentioned above, I found the Pioneer to sound muddy and far less clear than the Yamaha.

Pioneer had the best bang for the buck last year, and cheapened most of the lineup this year (except for the 1120). Yamaha got their butt kicked last year, and needs to take back some market share, this year's lineup looks *very* nice.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19572985

Get the pioneer. Seriously.

The 1900 is heavily discounted since it's an old model and it's HDMI specs aren't up to spec for today's standard. 6ave has a good price on the 1065 which is slightly better, but still doesn't upconvert HDMI signals (only analog).

The Pioneer 1120 seems like this year's value/quality champion along with the Yamaha 667. The 1020 and below appear to have been cheapened and I would stay away from those, but the 1120 appears solid.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just ordered the Yamaha RX-V1900 for myself. Ultimately, the choice came down to the fact that it's highly discounted and relatively bug-free compared to everything else I was considering.

My budget was up to about $2000, but nothing in that price range had the features I wanted (I wanted HD Radio, which the Pioneers lack) without also including a number of problems which made them not worth the extra $$$ (The Denon 3311 and 4311 seem to have QC and HDMI problems, the new Yamaha Aventage series doesn't handle 7-channel stereo correctly, Onkyo doesn't allow for using room correction with a flat FR curve, etc.).

The deciding factor between the RX-V1900 and other $500 receivers was mostly the superior amp section.

Keep in mind that the RX-V1900 won't handle 3D while the Pioneer you're looking at will (if that matters to you).

·
Registered
360 Posts
If 3D is not a concern I would get the RX-V1900 over the 1120. The RX-V1900 weighs about 10lbs more which will likely result in more available power. For $500 the RX-V1900 is a no brainer IMHO. The RX-V1120 is a good amp but more comparable to the RX-V667 level not the 1900.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.