AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My insurance copy has offered me a replacement projector for my damaged Lumenlab Evo 1.1.

They have offered an Epson EH-TW420 (720p) projector from Comet (it can be any projector but has to be from Comet.. up to the appropriate value) I was originally planning to get an Optoma HD65 but they don't sell these.

Does anyone have any comparison specs between the 2 items. The Epson has a better Lumens of 2000 (compared to 1600) but i've read some downsides

* fan a bit noisy

* black level response not fantastic (contrast ratio 2000:1)

* can't handle 1080p/24 blu ray properly
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...D-Projector/p3

not sure how this compares to the Optoma... i guess the specs are kind of similar overall, but I've only seen pictures of the Optoma (from Anibara) and these look great for a 720p device

if anyone has some Epson screenshots that'd be great.

thanks for any advice

J

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ps my other option might be the Optoma Gametime 7000 if Comet bring it back into stock...

in fact I believe it might be a rebranded HD65? does anyone know why it would be £180 cheaper than the Epson?

the Optoma has a higher contrast ratio of 4000:1 so presumably a better black response? the only downside appears to be the rainbow effect from it being DLP over the Epson's LCD but i don't know if that's a particular problem.... presumably having a good black response is more important?

· Registered
980 Posts
Dlps are generally louder, my optoma hd70 is much louder than my epson 6500. Personally I feel the quality is better on the epson, and the added brightness does help. The contrast is important, but I would go with the brightness over contrast is it will give you added pop. Epson seems to truely put out their claimed lumen numbers unlike other companies which fall short of advertised ones. My experience has been that the epsons brightness is more colorful and color accurate than my optoma. I'd check some more reviews and see what the true lumen numbers are for both. Also is the placement for the LCD any better such as better zoom or lens shift? This might be worth checking into. I am not bothered by raimbows and haven't found anyone that is, so I'm sure it doesn't effect alot of people. The DLP looks less digital to me and more movie like, but I'd still take the epson. Epson has a better warranty, at least here in the states. They send next day air another unit if a problem occurs

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi thanks for that.

the only thing is...i've only ever seen good reviews of the optoma hd65 compared to reviews of the epson that weren't quite as positive, saying the blacks were more like greys and a little underwhelming. But it did say the colours were good. Looking at the Optoma screenshots though, the colours on that seem great too.

also *your* epson 6500 is three times the price of the TW420 on offer, and has a contrast of 75000:1 compared to 2000:1 respectively

i kind of get the feeling that Optoma's 4000:1 contrast 1600 Lumens will end up looking better than the Epson's 2000:1 contrast, 2000 lumens.... I'm not too bothered about being able to run it in daylight.

regards

j

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.