AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my last attempt to fix my htpc before I smash it to pieces and buy standalones. Basically I have had numerous issues all to do with blu ray playback at 24p and after trying all kinds of software and hardware solutions I recently changed my motherboard (due to another issue though) to the asus 8200 M3N78-VM. This board supposedly can playback 1080p HD no problems. Guess what? Not for me it can't. I have the 8200 using 256mb for the graphics memory and I have so far tried playing back a number of blu ray isos (all of which I know work perfectly) and what happens is that it plays fine for a few seconds and then the video seems to be in slow motion (dropping frames???) and this is how it continues. This is at 24hz and 23hz. 60hz seems fine but then I get judder as you'd expect. I have tried playback in PowerDVD9 & TMT3, cpu usage is around 10% (AMD 4850e) and this is all under vista with aero off, also using the latest nvidia driver. The hdd does seem to be taking a battering when playing the blu rays but indexing is off and so is defragmenting so I guess this is just because I'm playing from the hdd. So... does anyone have any ideas... at all...anything... if all you can suggest is smash it to pieces then please do because right now I might just do it...

Btw thanks in advance

· Registered
16,749 Posts
Unless your TV/Display can refresh at an even multiple of 24 fps such as a 120Hz tv most likly it can not accept 24 fps content. If you have standard 60Hz TV that can accept 1080p/24 it will use 3:2 pulldown so you will have judder anyway.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
What is your monitor refresh rate set at?

Go to Device Manager, and open up the properties dialog for your video card. When you go to the Monitor tab, what does the "Scree refresh rate" say? Is it set for 24 Hertz? It wasn't quite clear from your post...

· Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfool1 /forum/post/16855847

I have a Panasonic 32LZD80 which can output at 24hz so I dont think its that

Apparently you live in Europe. Am I corret in assuming that you have your display set to refresh at 24fps and that you are sending it 1080p/24 over HDMI when you have problems?

· Banned
7,964 Posts
I used to own a 8200 board. To get smooth video, I had to overclock the GPU. I also had to add a fan, blowing onto the northbridge, to keep it cool afer the overclock.

I would add a fan first (I simply leaned a silent 80mm fan onto the northbridge) to see if it is a heat issue. If not, then you have the first step of the GPU overclock completed already.

· Registered
16,749 Posts
When MCE 2005 came out the reccomended Nvidia card for processsing 1080i TV content was a 8600GS. Apparentlty your card is having no problem decoding your disks as indicated by the low CPU utilization but it is having trouble concurently keep out with your ouput resolution so it drops frames and/or stutters.

If you are having not trouble with audio then I suspect that the 8200 card is the problem.

When not playing a BR disk do you have any trouble with dropped frames from PC desktop applications at 1080p/24?

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi I had a similar problem with ASUS M3A78-EM. I tried a lot of things to fix the missing frames in vain. I finally narrowed it down to having this problem only when outputting DTS over S/PDIF. If I decode DTS in the MPC-HC , this skipping of frames stop. Since I couldn't find any reason for this , I am currently
sucking it up with out DTS output. This might not be your case but I just wanted to share my experience.

If anyone has a reason for this , I would love to hear it.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried lowering the multiplier to 8 and increasing the fsb to 250 this in turn increased the HT to 1250. It seemed to play perfect at first for about 10 mins. Then I turned off PowerDVD to check cpu-z to make sure that the settings had been applied which they had. I noticed that most of the settings such as cpu voltage and HT were fluctuating. I then went back into powerdvd and found it was stuttering again. Now I'm sure its something to do with the voltage etc changing during use but I have cool n quiet disabled so I'm not sure why it isn't a constant value. Any Ideas?

· Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfool1 /forum/post/16862954

doesn't go above 51 degrees or so it says in speedfan, cpu is around 35

I have the exact same Mobo and procesor. I too am having problems... Did you find a solution?

· Registered
45 Posts
I'm also running an 8200 and a 4850e on a different mobo.

Have you tried turning Aero on and/or disabling the cpu scaling (cool n quiet)?

Its strange, but for 24hz i have to turn cool n quiet off for smooth playback, but for 60hz it works fine (with 3:2 of course). It took many hours of fiddling with various settings before i got it to work. I just thought it was temperamental at first!

I can also passthru dts/dd while playing back. Admittedly i've been using mpc-hc and media centre rather than pdvd.

Anyway, worth a shot if its that vs bin

· Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanchicken /forum/post/16933322

I'm also running an 8200 and a 4850e on a different mobo.

Have you tried turning Aero on and/or disabling the cpu scaling (cool n quiet)?

Its strange, but for 24hz i have to turn cool n quiet off for smooth playback, but for 60hz it works fine (with 3:2 of course). It took many hours of fiddling with various settings before i got it to work. I just thought it was temperamental at first!

I can also passthru dts/dd while playing back. Admittedly i've been using mpc-hc and media centre rather than pdvd.

Anyway, worth a shot if its that vs bin

I have tried turning off aero and disabling cool n quiet in the bios. I am still getting massive flicker when trying to watch BD (h.264).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.