AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has been asked by a thousand different people but since every installation is different, new projectors come out, and well I am a newb to the world of projectors.

Hard upper limit on the projector is $1,100.

Room dimensions are 15 feet x 16 feet with the screen being on one of the 16 foot walls. Ceiling is 11 feet high. My maximum screen size, due to room limitations like doors and windows, will be between 90 and 98 inches.

The screen will be a DIY unit probably following the Thrifty White Hardboard example that is described in the DIY threads; but, I am open to discussion on this topic also.

I have complete light control in this room with the ability to completely shut out all external light.

I would like to sit between 8 and 10 feet from the screen.

Projector will most likely be ceiling mounted. Inputs will mostly be Blu-Ray, PS3/4, and XBox 360/One. Secondary would be from PC for ripped movies and some gaming.

The most important factor is 2D Movies and Gaming quality. Some 3D will be used but is much further down the list of importance than overall 2D performance.

Right now I am leaning heavily toward the BenQ W1070. I understand that the input lag is slightly longer than the Optoma options but I don't think the lag is bad enough for me to rule out the 1070.

Anything I left out that should be used to help make a decision? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
when light control is mentioned we also mean the walls and ceiling... meaning if you have really light walls like white, tan or beige they are NOT light controlled. you need em painted dark to reduce reflections... as for your PJ's... the W1070 seems the best of the bunch.... the 131xe Optoma and the HD25 series are good too but from all accounts you'll be most pleased with the Benq. in that range the epson's don't compete unless you want the uber awesome lens shift of the 8350.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, yes. Knew there would be something I am missing. The walls will be painted. We are currently discussing colors but in the end the wife has given me permission to use whatever colors I want.

I am currently leaning to black behind the screen with a dark grey throughout the rest of the room and something like a dark blue for the ceiling. The floor is a medium hardwood but I am going to put large area rugs down which will cover most of the floor (70%).

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordac  /t/1526624/please-help-picking-a-projector-under-1-100#post_24589291

Ok, yes. Knew there would be something I am missing. The walls will be painted. We are currently discussing colors but in the end the wife has given me permission to use whatever colors I want.

I am currently leaning to black behind the screen with a dark grey throughout the rest of the room and something like a dark blue for the ceiling. The floor is a medium hardwood but I am going to put large area rugs down which will cover most of the floor (70%).

good boy... you got the light control handle pretty well gripped. it makes a big difference. I was shocked at the difference it made when I got rid of my white walls

·
Registered
814 Posts
I painted my walls flat black, all 4 walls including screen wall. Absolutely love it, really brings out the colors of the PJ and controls the light in the room that bounces off the screen. I was in the same boat as you, wanted a good PJ for less than $1,000. I went DLP but then realized I'm very sensitive to RBE, so I returned it and got my Epson LCD, absolutely love it. PS4, Xbox One, all good. 120" screen. My 70" LED in the living room looks tiny in comparison lol.

Paint your walls, get an LCD projector and be happy. My vote would be get an Epson 2000 or 2030. Wife will love it too.

EDIT: About input lag - The Epson lag is ~90ms in "FINE" mode, but put it in "FAST" mode will drop it down to ~32ms. I keep my PJ in "FINE" mode for all movies and most games except online games like CoD or Titanfall, I'll switch it over to "FAST". In "FAST" mode, the lag does not affect my gaming experience. I only use my PJ for gaming and movies and this Epson is fantastic (for the price). No motion blur either.

Epson 2000/2030 is one of the higher rated LCD projectors out there. I had the Optoma HD131X3 and didn't like it. It was loud and I had terrible RBE with it. My friend has the W1070 and it looks great but does have slight RBE also. If you don't suffer from RBE, your wife or friends might, so save yourself the headache and get an LCD PJ. Good luck.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_2030_projector_review.htm

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
With your ceiling height, if you can find a Mits. 7900 then that would be a phenomenal setup based upon your budget and room conditions and screen size. The Mits. isn't terribly bright, but has excellent image quality and should best almost anything out there in this price range. It won't be hanging as low due to the high offset of the projector, and it isn't overly bright considering your limited screen size.

It can be a bit tough to find at the lowest price it was, but anywhere under $1,000 makes this one a winner IMO...

http://compu-america.com/mitsubishi-hc7900dw-3d-ready-dlp-projector-1080p-hdtv-16-9.html?gclid=CPnR-Kb31r0CFaN9OgodpjsAcw

·
Registered
402 Posts
Seconded. The HC7900 is an amazing projector for the money if you can find one cheap and your room will handle it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I have not seen much about this projector. I will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordac  /t/1526624/please-help-picking-a-projector-under-1-100#post_24597109

Hmm, I have not seen much about this projector. I will definitely look into it.
The HC7900 was a overpriced projector when it was released, but with a nearly 50% (or more) price drop, the quality for the money went through the roof. The high offset is rare in projectors, and will suit your room quite nicely. The image quality was better than $1,000 projectors, but not as good as the $2,000 projectors it was competing against when it was released, so it got mediocre reviews. But, at this price point (sub $1,000) it becomes a stellar value in a quality projection company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts