AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a semi-newbie (but not a total idiot). Long post, but I want to make sure you know the steps I've already taken. (Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot).

Just bought:

Pioneer VSX-816 receiver

Klipsch Sub-10 (10" subwoofer)

Klipsch Synergy F-2 front speakers. (Pair).

Already had:

Center channel Speaker

2 rear speakers.

I cannot friggin' get this to work right. I can get sound to come out of every speaker (except for the subwoofer). However, the MCACC setup errors out every time (even though sound comes out of the back speakers, the receiver gives me an error on the "SB" every time). Since the subwoofer doesn't make a sound, that errors, too.

Back speakers don't make a sound while I'm watching a movie, TV, or playing games. (Unless I "Bi-Amp" or "Second Zone" the back speakers...which isn't useful). I KNOW they work...and I know they are hooked up correctly.

Subwoofer.....yeesh. I have a cable running from the subwoofer pre-out on the Pioneer VSX-816, to the back of the Klipsch sub at the "Left/LFE" plug (the white one). No sound. (Yes, I turned up the volume, and messed with the Lowpass knob). Also toggled the switches (I understand the Auto/On switch...but not really the 180/phase switch), and still had no sound. I tried moving the cable from the "Left/LFE" plug on the subwoofer to the red "Line In/Right" plug...even though I'm pretty sure that one isn't correct (hey, gotta try, right?). No sound. I switch the plug back to the "Left/LFE" plug on the subwoofer, and head over to the Pioneer receiver. For the heck of it, I move the plug from the "Subwoofer out" connection to the DVD 5.1 plug for subwoofer out, even though I'm pretty sure that is something totally seperate. No sound. I double check all the settings on the receiver...it detects the subwoofer (as it had all along). In the speaker setup, the subwoofer is enabled. In the end, I just spend a lot of time swearing at the equipment....that doesn't help either. (One last thing, should I abandon the subwoofer pre-out cable? I see that the Klipsch Sub-10 has the screw terminals for the "High Level In" inputs. Should I just run a second set of speaker wires from the Pioneer receiver (at the Left and Right speaker output knobs) to the "High Level In" inputs on the Klipsch SW?)

Might as well mention this: I tried hooking up my old Subwoofer (an old Audiosource SW that I bought a decade ago), and didn't get any sound out of that, either.

I also can't get the Pioneer to understand that I have two rear speakers, but no side speakers (surround left, and surround right...don't exist). I also have a tough time ISOLATING the various speakers (like turning down the center channel and front speakers so I can listen to the back speakers).

Again, the Pioneer setup isn't helping me much because I can't get it through the MCACC speaker setup because it won't recognize that the rear speakers are making noise (which they are), and the subwoofer is totally silent.

I'm not enjoying my Pioneer experience so far. Setup is pretty suck-tacular. I've hit about every button on the receiver, and at this point, I'm probably just screwing stuff up.

Please help me get this stuff up and running. (I've checked the manuals, and they haven't helped either).

Here's a really dumb question to end this message: Why do my front Klipsch speakers (Synergy F-2) have four screw terminals on the back of them? It's been a while since I've had new speakers...so it was something I hadn't seen before. I just hooked the wires up to the bottom two. (The manual was totally unhelpful in this area).

Thanks for your time.

Pete

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
As far as the speakers I would disconnect from both ends and reconnect again making sure the polority of each speaker is correct, - to - and + to +. Sometimes there can be a little strand of wire in there shorting out that you can't see, disconnecting and reconnecting the wires making sure you have no loose strands freying should take care if that's the problem.

Disconnect the sub, set sub to "no" in the speaker setup and then try to run mcacc. If you have sucess doing that enable the sub in the reciver setup menu and reconnect the sub to the receivers "sub out" not the dvd sub out, you're correct on this and it doesn't matter which you use on the sub, the left or right (red or white) inputs both should work and try running macc again. You don't need to use the high level inputs on the sub with this receiver, if it's not working with the sub out cable connection there is a problem with the receiver, especially since you've tried two subs.

If those suggestions doesn't work call pioneer to see if they have any suggestions, if not you'll probably have to go for a return or exchange.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(First off, thanks for the suggestions...it did help me out in getting past the MCAAC test).

Quick follow up:

Solved the rear speaker issue. Basically, the Pioneer doesn't see them as rear speakers...you have to set them up as "Surround Left" and "Surround Right." Rear speakers don't come into play until you add a couple more speakers. (My mistake was thingking that location of the speaker determined what type of speaker it was). In any case, I moved the wire from "Rear Speaker" to "Surround Speaker" and went from there.

Unplugged the Subwoofer, made it through the MCAAC test perfectly.

So, one issue solved. Still can't get the sub to work, though. Hopefully it isn't a problem with the receiver or sub....although I'm not sure what else to try.

Thanks!

Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more followup:

Took the Klipsch subwoofer to my brothers house and hooked it up in his system. No sound. (His subwoofer works fine, and we used the same cable that goes from his receiver to the sub).

This probably means that the subwoofer is bad, or at least it increases the chance that it is the defective piece.

The Klipsch also has a Red/Blue LED on the front. According to the manual, Red means it is on "Standby", and BLUE means that the "amplifier is on and receiving a signal."

The L.E.D. has always been blue....does this mean that the sub "thinks" it is getting a signal?

Pete

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwolf /forum/post/0

One more followup:

Took the Klipsch subwoofer to my brothers house and hooked it up in his system. No sound. (His subwoofer works fine, and we used the same cable that goes from his receiver to the sub).

This probably means that the subwoofer is bad, or at least it increases the chance that it is the defective piece.

The Klipsch also has a Red/Blue LED on the front. According to the manual, Red means it is on "Standby", and BLUE means that the "amplifier is on and receiving a signal."

The L.E.D. has always been blue....does this mean that the sub "thinks" it is getting a signal?

Pete

It does sound like the sub now, I was under the impression that since you had tried two subs previously it was in the receiver. The only real way to confirm is to take the 816 to your brothers and see if his sub works with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably the last post here (unless someone knows some weird Klipsch troubleshooting thing that I've missed).

My brother brought over HIS subwoofer. We hooked it up, and it worked with my system. SO....we can confirm that the receiver works, the cable is fine, and the problem MUST be with my Sub-10.

Looks like I'll be taking it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
In the Klipsch forums @ Klipsch(not here), there have been a bunch of sub10 failures recently. I own the sub12 and have had no issues nor have there been any at the klipsch site. If you can swing it, the sub12 is a pretty decent sub and much better than the sub10.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.