AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys! Just joined today! I'm kinda at a loss as to what power conditioners are out there for my specific needs. I'm just now in the early stages of building my home theater system. I soon realized from a couple of forums that I was overlooking how all of my expensive equipment was going to be powered and protected. 

I'm currently considering Furman's Elite-15 PFi to protect and cleanup the power going to a 75" Samsung, DirecTv, Oppo BDP-105D, PS4, Marantz AV8801 pre-amp, router and modem. If anyone feels they can make a better recommendation I'm open to ideas. 

Okay, here's where my problem begins. I want to purchase Outlaw Audio's 7900 7-channel amplifier. This will be on a separate 20-amp breaker from what was listed in the previous paragraph.  My question is are there any highly recommended power conditioners with a couple plug outlets out there specifically JUST for powering a huge amp? I don't want to buy a 20 amp capable power conditioner with 10 or 12 plugs on the back of it. Seems like a waste of money just to supply an amp. I'm only going to be using 2 of them since the Outlaw amp requires two 120v power outlets to run. I would need two of these power conditioners. One for the amp and another for two powered 18" subwoofers. The two powered 18" subwoofers will also be on their own dedicated 20 amp breaker. I have a total of three 20 amp breakers on the main wall where everything will be plugged in. 

Any and all help, information is greatly appreciated! 

·
Registered
663 Posts
products are usually engineered for the most common application. In your case power conditioning for large current draw amplification. Since the biggest consumer of this type of product is the DJ or gigging band, the most affordable power conditioners are going to be rack mount devices with multiple outlets for other signal processing and accessories. A two outlet power conditioner is going to use the same basic components and has very limited application, so why not add a couple of outlets and package it in an installation friendly shape. Your Furman idea is probably the most cost effective Middle Atlantic, who were just bought out by Legrand is another brand to consider, but don't look for any bargains. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I question the need for a power conditioner on a $3500 piece of hardware. At that price I'd assume it has protection built in. I would instead ensure proper and adequate wiring to the fusebox.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hey thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying on having the multiple outlets from the conditioner. That works out great powering the TV, oppo, ps4, directv, pre-amp, router and modem Which I am going to do with the Furman Elite-15 PFi. What I'm getting at is I'm going to have to spend a couple of grand or more so that I can have the amplifier on a different conditioner and the subwoofers on another conditioner totally separate from all of the other components. I'm trying to cut cost if possible so I figured the fewer outlets for the 2 separate conditioners that will be running the amp and subwoofers would be a little less costlier than the conditioner with 10 or 12 outlets. I'd like to buy one conditioner with the 8 to 12 outlets then two more conditioners with minimal outlets. If they don't exist then oh well ;)  

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Appreciate the response!  I don't believe the amp has any protection built in say if a lightning strike gets to it. I know the subwoofers don't. Sure they have fuses but I'm not going to trust only those.  That is one of my concerns but not the only. I'm also wanting the power conditioner for cleaning up any inconsistency's and noise in the power being received from the power grid thus improving visual and audio across the board. These power conditioners also keep a small reserve of power for power starved amps. 

·
Registered
85 Posts

Try musiciansfriend dot com.

They will surely have what you need. Just type in power conditioners in the search box at the top right of their screen.

·
Registered
663 Posts
ohYew beat me to the reply. There's no reason to have to spend more than a couple hundred dollars total for separate power conditioners for each circuit, even if they are 8 outlet rack mount devices, especially if you are only looking for some noise suppression. If you get some general surge protection (not lightening) out of the deal, so much the better.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
unless your power is really dirty and the power company refused to repair it, you would be wasting your money. Use a standard UPS of the proper size for the load if you want to prevent short outages, don't forget the network gear if needed.. Using power conditioners for stable clean grid power is like using Monster cables.... total waste.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts