AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a party tonight, and don't have very good "party" music in my library.

My neighbor has an ipod touch with all the latest party/dance tunes on it.

How do I copy, or at least play her ipod onto/via my PS3?

I know this is old news, but my party starts in 3 hours, and i have no clue--nor enough time to research.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yep, Apple has seen fit not to include common features in their products.

They want you using that bloatware iTunes and nothing else.

There are "apps" that enable you to copy non-iTunes to/from the iPod/iPhone...but they require iTunes!!

Me: Happy Android user. Connects Droid to PS3 using 100% non-proprietary USB cable

Droid: USB connection detected, press Mount if you want to copy files between your computer and memory

Me: Hmm, Mount

Droid: Very well sir

Me: Thank you

PS3: Select which files you'd like to copy and I will do it

Me: Uses controller or remote, navigates what he wants, and either plays off the Droid or copies to the PS3 HDD

Me: Wow, that is easy

Me's inner thoughts: "IT JUST WORKS"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Apple apoligist typical remark: Using a USB mass storage device just isn't something people with ipods/iPhones really want to do. That's what Jobs says. Flash is evil, too. Apps that mimic the functionality in many instances and also cost real money are far better. That and they are really green...if I want to upgrade my device memory, I will just buy a new one...it's so green I gotta wear shades.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when my neighbor brough the actual ipod over--it was a classic.

However, there is a new problem--after pressing triangle--display all--ipod-control--music-Most all of the track names were random 4-letter "names" as opposed to the actual song/artist name. This made identifying the songs impossible without actually playing them.

Ended up just plugging the thing into the auxiallary jacks on my reveiver with the ipod headphone cord.

Why would the track names and folders be so jumbled and inaccurate? Some of the selsctions were identifiable, but ~85% were 4-letter random "no-names"

·
Registered
2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 /forum/post/18139873

Why would the track names and folders be so jumbled and inaccurate? Some of the selsctions were identifiable, but ~85% were 4-letter random "no-names"

That's how apple wants it to be so that you are FORCED to use iTunes.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have an iphone and I love it...but like it has been said it sucks that we are forced to use Itunes for everything...It would be nice to just hook my iphone via usb cable to my ps3 and download..seems logical to me. Also my kid has an ipod touch, well it wont charge via his i home because we got the i home when he just had a nano......dont you think they could put out a firmware update so tha it would charge..then they couldnt charge you another $100-$200 for another i home...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thing is, there are youtube videos that show people using their nano via usb into the

ps3, and all of the tracks are visible and identifiable. I wonder what they did to the nano that allows it to be user-friendly w/ ps3 that the other ipods

don't have.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd /forum/post/18140229

I have an iphone and I love it...but like it has been said it sucks that we are forced to use Itunes for everything...It would be nice to just hook my iphone via usb cable to my ps3 and download..seems logical to me. Also my kid has an ipod touch, well it wont charge via his i home because we got the i home when he just had a nano......dont you think they could put out a firmware update so tha it would charge..then they couldnt charge you another $100-$200 for another i home...

I believe that they require a chip purchased from Apple in the dock to make docks work with the iPhone and iPod Touch. Crazy, I know.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 /forum/post/18161834

Thing is, there are youtube videos that show people using their nano via usb into the

ps3, and all of the tracks are visible and identifiable. I wonder what they did to the nano that allows it to be user-friendly w/ ps3 that the other ipods

don't have.

The Nano and Classic use a standard mass storage file system, they are also fully visable when plugged into a PC. The file system on the Touch/Iphone is encrypted and only usable via Itunes. They did this to protect apps and OS integrity.

Also in regards to the charging dock, the 2nd and third gen touch have slightly different voltage requirements. Why they did this is beyond me, but not all charging accessories are supported beyond the original touch. Pissed me off as I had to get a new car dock when I upgraded from first to second gen.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:
the 2nd and third gen touch have slightly different voltage requirements. Why they did this is beyond me, but not all charging accessories are supported beyond the original touch. Pissed me off as I had to get a new car dock when I upgraded from first to second gen.

thats exactly why they did that, so people who had accessories for older versions would have to buy new ones, thus making more money for apple via licensing fees. another reason why i will never buy an apple product. they purposely withhold things so they can release them later. case in point: iphone and iphone 3g.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Just jailbreak the iPhone/iPod Touch and do what you want with it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/18172120

thats exactly why they did that, so people who had accessories for older versions would have to buy new ones, thus making more money for apple via licensing fees. another reason why i will never buy an apple product. they purposely withhold things so they can release them later. case in point: iphone and iphone 3g.

and the fact that they call themselves environmentally friendly is even worse. They're anything but. I don't think most people have any idea of the massive amounts of energy it takes to make the aluminum macbook pros over competitor designs...and it is almost all dirty coal energy in China.

The way they market it..."it'll PROBABLY (my emphasis) be recycled"

Want to upgrade the memory on your iphone? Get a new one! It's good for the environment. Oh, and they'll take your old one back to be recycled in a responsible manner. What that manner is they don't tell you, but I think it involves a super-secret apple landfill in China that if you photograph you'll get the snot kicked out of you, much like their factories.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/18172181

Just jailbreak the iPhone/iPod Touch and do what you want with it.

But Steve said that only terrorists would have the need to do that. And, yes, he said it. They're also cutting off access to the iTunes libraries of those that do it...yep, stealing back what one has paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho /forum/post/18170841

They did this to protect apps and OS integrity.

An easier way would be to have a separate memory area for that. But that would mean you could use something other than iTunes.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
When I had my iPhone, it was jailbroken and I still had full access to iTunes. I'm unsure of what you mean when you say that "they're cutting off access to the iTunes libraries"... I only recently moved away from the iPhone and got the Moto Droid (which I'm enjoying a lot more)

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/18173223

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=17693

Oh, that article... the "hackers" that they are referring to are of people that belong to the infamous "DevTeam" (people that actually come up with the code to do the jailbreaking). It's a small step on their part and, quite frankly, if not for the DevTeam, there would be no App Store nor would they be a lot of the new features seen on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Laymen users, like yourself and me, have nothing to worry about; at least, not yet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho /forum/post/18170841

The Nano and Classic use a standard mass storage file system, they are also fully visable when plugged into a PC. The file system on the Touch/Iphone is encrypted and only usable via Itunes. They did this to protect apps and OS integrity.

Also in regards to the charging dock, the 2nd and third gen touch have slightly different voltage requirements. Why they did this is beyond me, but not all charging accessories are supported beyond the original touch. Pissed me off as I had to get a new car dock when I upgraded from first to second gen.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you state that the nano and classic use a standard mass storage file system, and are also fully visible when plugged into a PC.

My experience with the classic/PS3 connection was different. The tracks/files, although "visible" were non-identifiable. They were randomized 4 letter "names". This forced me to have to actually play the song to tell what it was.

By your statement--would I be able to plug the classic into my PC and be able to see the tracks w/ the proper names? Or would they be "visible" as on the PS3--just not properly named??

Furher--If i were to copy some tracks from the classic to the PC, could I then copy them onto a USB/data disc and transfer them onto the PS3, and expect them to display proper names/ID's?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.