AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am pretty much a novice when it comes to selecting HT receivers, and am now in need of a new one. I currently have a Denon AVR 2106, but now need HDMI switching so it's time to upgrade.

I have an existing 6.1 setup with in-wall speakers that I will be using, including a Speakercraft Bassx-W10 in-wall powered sub (see my other post for my questions about this).

In addition to those 6 speakers, I have 2 separate but adjacent (same room) speakers over my bar that will be powered by the same receiver - and hence switched off when I'm watching a movie.

All components are in my utility room, as I ran conduit for all cabling so everything is out of sight and this means a speaker selector if I went that route would be in that back room as well

I now need a new receiver that supports HDMI switching, but I also think I should have one that allows for A/B switching of speakers in case I want to turn those adjacent bar speakers off. I've looked at the Denon 3310 on eBay as I believe that receiver will support A/B. What else should I be considering? I'm not an audiophile by any means, but now I've got 8 speakers that I need to power (and I'm using 12 GA speaker wire).

I like Denon, but am open to basically everything else except Sony and Pioneer. My budget is $500, so that's why I've been looking on eBay. Denon 3310 for $475 seems like a great deal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
If you only used 5 channels you could setup the other 2 speakers as zone 2. You would have to run an analogue cable for any device you want going to the second zone. I think you could still use all six speakers if you use the zone 2 preouts and plug them into an amp or your old receiver. I'm not trying to talk you out of the 3310 because it's a great receiver other than the network card issue. You can order a new network card for around 100 if it goes out. If the network card has already been replaced then your good to go. I keep messing around but I need to go ahead and send mine to Denon to get fixed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.