AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for looking, I could really use some of your expertise!

I just purchased a house and am in the process of upgrading my home theater from the system I purchased 10 years ago to use at college. I just got a Samsung LCD TV that I will be putting on the wall and have an Onkyo 607 receiver, but I am lost on the speakers. I've been researching for several weeks now and I just can't seem to narrow down my options.

Below are some picture of the room. The seating area is 16X20 but is somewhat open to the kitchen behind it and open to the rest of the room on the left. I'd like to reduce the large footprint of the speakers and sub I currently have, and go to something a little more sleak to match the TV, possibly on the wall next to the windows.... however I am afraid of going small in the room and losing the loud, full sound I enjoy. I do about 75% movies/TV and 25% music.

My question is what would you recommend for this room? Bookshelf speakers on stands or on the wall? Will I be OK with satellites mounted on the wall? Or is it best if I stick with some floorstanding speakers? I'd like to spend in the ballpark of $600.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Here is the room viewed from the kitchen with the old equipment setup:

Here is the open area to the rest of the room if it even has an effect on the setup:

And here is the back of the room with an opening to the kitchen and where I would mount the surrounds:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
A room that size you may have the wrong idea of where to go. If you go to satellites your sub may have to get bigger. I would go listen to what you have locally and see what you think. Your budget is small and may not give you much improvement. you may actually lose ground just to get thinner speakers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice mbyrnes.

I ended up increasing my budget got refurbished Polk RTi A7 fronts and a Polk CSi A6 center from Polk Direct and am very happy with them. I can definitely see now that satellite speakers would have done a poor job of filling out the room. Next on the list is a sub, but man those things get expensive quick!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.