AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes due to the lack of RCA video inputs in my new HDTV Hitachi, I am wondering if there is a S-Video to RCA/Patch video coupler. The VCR I purchased is a middle of the road Sony. I do not want to spend excess dollars for a S-VHS just for S-Video outputs.

Or rather is is possible to cut the end off one S-Video cable and Splice a RCA/Patch Video cable to it? Does anyone know the layout of the pinouts?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was surprised to discover that RadioShack is selling a tiny little "dongle" that converts SVideo to Composite (both ways apparently!)

Its something like $20 CDN. I'm sure you can pick it up in the US too.

Of course, the quality of this little dongle is questionable -- but my friend was going to use it to route his composite only sources through his SVideo switching receiver (to his display).

Roo

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told too that Radio Shack carried something like this but when I went there they did not have it nor list it in their catalog. So who knows, I will try another store today. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
469 Posts
This may change your mind: Monster Cable makes one; its MSRP is $129.95 Model no. CSVC-1.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mr. hookup, but for that kind of money I might as well return my VCR for credit and put that $129 plus my credit toward a S-VHS that has the S-Video!

I found this schematic on the web for converting S-Video to composite.

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

Now I am looking for the reverse circuit which I am told is a little more complicated. I am not intimadated to say the least and ready to build the circuit if I can find the lay out! Does anyone have the info??????

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hands down the best one I've ever used is the Extron YCS transcoder. It is a sweet box that does high quality s-video to composite and composite to s-video conversion. My company has installed dozens of them and our engineers really like it.
http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=ycstrans

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Audio Advisor sells one for $39.95 that in a little in line converter for composite to SVideo. I bought a couple year ago for my VCR and they work fine. Seem to me since I putchased mine I have seen them elsewhere cheaper. Like maybe Best Buys?? or Circuit City.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.