AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a tv as our 10yr old sony console has given up the ghost a few weeks back. I really like the 650 in the store but it is not even in the same row as the 550 so it is hard to compare them. That gloss screen does show a beautiful picture. I really do not have the budget for the 650 in 46" but the 40 is the same price as the 46a550. I need advice to put me over the top on this. Do I NEED 120hz? I will watch TV sports alot & dvd-blu-ray. NO gaming or computer stuff.

How do you guys feel on this? The 650 looks nice

John

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Both are outstanding. The 46" 550 gets 5 stars from 117 owners on Amazon.

As you are a long term owner viewer you may want to negotiate and put up the extra for the larger size as it truly makes a difference with HT immersion.

Best thing you can do is audition the 120 Hz for what it does in the store to determine if it's a feature you desire or need. Size definitely matters as the the same two million pixels simply get larger bringing out more details in those Blu-ray movies. With each size leap I got more immersion from a 32" to a 45" and then a 57" Sharp at 8.5' is still rewarding as hell with HT WoW after viewing for nearly two years and I have no 120Hz.

Some folks love the 120Hz while others dislike it. You need to measure for yourself it's impact against your budget but considering you viewed your Sony for ten years invest in HT immersion for long term rewards and no remorse by getting a HT size of 46" or larger. In fact in doing a search on the 52" 550 I find it shocking how low it's price is - a couple years ago these were selling for more than double what they are now rules prohibit me listing though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If your not gaming,I would get the 46550.The screen size is more of an advantage then

the extra features on the 650. Screen size is something you will use all the time.The difference between 40 and 46 is night and day when you get it home.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bigger is better, that is true enough. I will also keep this set for a long time............. until death do us part I would say! The wife said to me this morning that she wanted a 46" also. We both really liked the clarity of the 650 with the gloss screen in the store, so much POP to the picture. The 550 looks as good as the other top line models but the 650 stood out to both of us as a look we really liked.

One worry is glare from the glossy screen. That is holding me back a little I guess. You can see all the fluorescent lights in the store-row after row. I asked the sales guy if we could demo it for glare in home but he said there would be a 15% restocking fee if we brought it back for glare reasons (sears). It is looking like the 46" is a go with either set. I just need to decide I guess.

Anyone feel free to chime in on this.

Thanks, john

I also should say I have a 100", ae900u powered theater in the basement but we are watching alot of movies with our 3yr old Jaz upstairs. I guess I don't want to waste it on the Care Bears 3-4 times a day if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I too am on the fence between these two tvs. Jeepster, where did you order your set from?

Is there a difference in the screen on the 550 and 650? I too am curious about sunlight reflecting off these tvs.

I intend on using this tv for movies (dvd and blu-ray) and games (ps3) and when I saw a video at Circuit City with the demo mode on for the 120hz feature, I could notice the judder when the camera panned by The Golden Gate bridge. I am definitely going to get a 46" tv and the price difference is only $360 between the two models so that really isn't too much and I figure if the 120hz isn't something I like, I can always turn it off. Plus I think it will be a good feature since I intend on playing games on this tv. So then the only two things I can think of is the Touch of Color which really isn't a major issue and I think I read that the 650 reflects light more.

I'm hoping to order this tv on Amazon within the next few weeks so help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered from the River people.
The 650 has a gloss screen. The 550 is more like the other lcds out there. The gloss does indeed reflect more but the picture it has is fantastic, so clear & vibrant. I'm hoping the 650 works in my room. I'll know on the 16th !!

The 550 is a great set also. The picture looks alot like the sony's that were on either side of it(sorry I don't know what models they were). very nice but they lack the POP & clarity of the 650. My wife also like the 650 better. She said it just looks more ........ real....... instead of on tv.

Buy the way, you can't turn 120hz off. It is how the panel works. I hope this helps. Sears has these tv's if BB or CC are not close to you. I think you need to see them in person if you can.

John

·
Registered
829 Posts
People tend to confuse 120Hz with the motion enhancement feature 120Hz sets tend to have. You can't turn off the 120Hz, but you can turn off the motion enhancement options (AMP). But when most people complain about 120Hz TVs, they're complaining about the motion processing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We were watching Wimbeldon at work (sears) on the 52a650 and surprisingly saw an unbearable amount of ghosting on both Mr. Federer and Mr. Nadal, however AMP seemed to somewhat diminish this.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman010 /forum/post/14232262

We were watching Wimbeldon at work (sears) on the 52a650 and surprisingly saw an unbearable amount of ghosting on both Mr. Federer and Mr. Nadal, however AMP seemed to somewhat diminish this.

I did NOT need to hear that!!!

John

·
Registered
605 Posts

Quote:

This is probably because you need to turn AMP down a notch or two. With AMP on high the tv will still exert some smearing during fast action but its not nearly as bad as on the 71 series. The 650/750 on a Medium AMP setting will barely produce any kind of artifacts and with a low setting artifacting does not exist. I always watch sports with a low setting and I am absolutely satisfied.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I don't like the AMP effect, but I'd go 650 because the 550 doesn't handle 24hz input from blu-rays correctly, and 2:3 judder is annoying to me.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:

AMP does nothing for "ghosting."

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Tv is capable of not ghosting on some channels and some events so its got to be

low bandwith or bit rate from the sorce which causes compression.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Was in the same boat but 46A650 or 52A550. I went with the bigger is better option with the 52A550. Plus i preferred the semi/gloss screen compared to the glossy 650 due to my living room set-up which is has big windows and was near the sliding doors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts