AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks there is about a $225 price difference between the two from one online vendor. My current TV has gone out and need to buy asap. Which one would you go with? Newer one for the extra bucks or no? Appreciate a quick response!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any one?

·
Registered
230 Posts
For what it's worth, I just bought the C yesterday. The price difference was only a few hundred, but I could take it home and would have had to wait for a B to be shipped from the warehouse. From what I can deduce it bought me a different screen coating that is suppose to cut down glare. It also has an ethernet connection and I'm not sure B does. Like the 65000 BD player I also bought, though, it won't play with Windows 7 so I can't stream content from my PCs, at least not until they release an updated version of the Samsung DLNA server software.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 /forum/post/18314024

For what it's worth, I just bought the C yesterday. The price difference was only a few hundred, but I could take it home and would have had to wait for a B to be shipped from the warehouse. From what I can deduce it bought me a different screen coating that is suppose to cut down glare. It also has an ethernet connection and I'm not sure B does. Like the 65000 BD player I also bought, though, it won't play with Windows 7 so I can't stream content from my PCs, at least not until they release an updated version of the Samsung DLNA server software.

Thanks. I know Samsung has not made a lot of changes to this level of plasmas, but I was wondering if the C had a better PQ than B courtesy of better contrast ratio. I know the new one is lighter and more energy efficient but for me PQ comes first.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Any buzz?

·
Registered
230 Posts
No buzz yet -- just had it playing for about 5 hrs. last night. As for PQ vs. the B550 that's really hard to tell in a store setting. So far, I'm pleased with the initial PQ and have just started playing around with the settings. Also it appears that power settings are adjustable under a menu item called "Eco" but I haven't opened it yet.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 /forum/post/18314326

No buzz yet -- just had it playing for about 5 hrs. last night. As for PQ vs. the B550 that's really hard to tell in a store setting. So far, I'm pleased with the initial PQ and have just started playing around with the settings. Also it appears that power settings are adjustable under a menu item called "Eco" but I haven't opened it yet.

I guess the no buzz is a good start. I have not seen either of these sets so have no idea of the PQ for either one. I would assume that a better filter would lead to better PQ to some extent. Were you able to compare the two sets though albeit in a store setting?

·
Registered
230 Posts
No one had them both set up. In fact, no one had the C on display --it has just arrived. I figured it had to essentially be the same panel so I took a chance knowing I could return it if it sucked. Looks like it's a keeper.

For me, the "clearance" price on the older model just wasn't low enough, or rather the discount they gave me on the C was good enough to make the price difference quite small in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm150 /forum/post/18315301

No one had them both set up. In fact, no one had the C on display --it has just arrived. I figured it had to essentially be the same panel so I took a chance knowing I could return it if it sucked. Looks like it's a keeper.

For me, the "clearance" price on the older model just wasn't low enough, or rather the discount they gave me on the C was good enough to make the price difference quite small in my opinion.

Agree. I am kinda leaning the same way since difference is $225 and I figure that the new one will probably have some improvements or at least be just as good as the old one. Plus with 43% energy more energy efficiency, the difference will probably pay for itself in 3-4 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you looked at HHGregg ?

They are selling the 58B550 on sale for $1399.

They wanted $1800 for the 58C550. So $400 in savings.

I took the B home last Monday. No regrets.

Having a TV online wasn't worth it for me. That is what a computer is for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I purchased a C Series a couple days ago, and have absolutely no regrets. PQ is great, much better antglare in my opinion, and no buzz whatsoever.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimwhit33 /forum/post/18317679

I purchased a C Series a couple days ago, and have absolutely no regrets. PQ is great, much better antglare in my opinion, and no buzz whatsoever.

Thanks for chiming in guys. I am leaning towards the C series. Did you actually get to see a 58B550 before you bought the C?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in processors between the PN58C550 and the PN58b550, I was in B.B. and the salesman thought that the old tv had better processing??

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongerdrg /forum/post/18318731

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in processors between the PN58C550 and the PN58b550, I was in B.B. and the salesman thought that the old tv had better processing??

I would highly doubt that. BB does not have the C in stock and are trying to get rid of the B series. I would think there is bias there. I would nor think that Samsung would have taken a step back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They had both the B and C in stock at my local HHGregg with the same feed going into both. With my eye I could not see any visible difference in PQ.

If they did improve the glare reduction on the C, it wasn't a consideration for me since mine is in the basement with no natural light and low artificial light (canned lights on dimmer switches).

If you got the money go for the C. In my mind it's always better to get the latest version. In theory they should have corrected any bugs in the old version. For me though saving $400 was the biggest factor in my purchase since my budget was $1300. I would have had to drop down to a 50" if the 58B550 wasn't on sale.

Good luck, can't do wrong with either unit.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock9174 /forum/post/18321333

They had both the B and C in stock at my local HHGregg with the same feed going into both. With my eye I could not see any visible difference in PQ.

If they did improve the glare reduction on the C, it wasn't a consideration for me since mine is in the basement with no natural light and low artificial light (canned lights on dimmer switches).

If you got the money go for the C. In my mind it's always better to get the latest version. In theory they should have corrected any bugs in the old version. For me though saving $400 was the biggest factor in my purchase since my budget was $1300. I would have had to drop down to a 50" if the 58B550 wasn't on sale.

Good luck, can't do wrong with either unit.

I do not have anothe retailer except BB that has the 58B550. The price from BB for the B is $1499 plus tax. I could get the C from an online retailer for $1699 no tax, no shipping. I will probably pull the trigger on the C soon. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe i should explain my entire situation. I had a Mitsu WD65731, had issues since day 1 but i had a 4year extended warranty from B.B.

They have since sent the tv to denver and scratched the he>> out of it.

so they have given me a in store exchange. Value of $1999 after some negotionation and product comparison. so now im looking for a replacement set. My BB has the C550 in stock, but no B550's, 422 in denvers warehouse.

The salesman at BB is the one that said he thought that the B550 looked better in store than the new C550 that had just arrived and was on display.

Sorry for the confusion. Im not sure what to buy now..I appreciate any help..

Thanks everyone....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just purchased the C and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for tweaking, features, etc? I got a great deal on it, and really felt that C served my needs much better than the silly 3D. I must admit to getting a little lost in trying to discern all the dizzying features of these units - I will miss not having the Pandora and Netflix widgets, but I think finding the best television means placing PQ over everything else. From what I've read and seen, the C does this the best. I'm still looking at what to pair this unit with (HTPC, Blu-Ray player, PS3, Other?), so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts