AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - finishing building my first HTPC tonight, and I'm scared I'm going to fry my mobo. I have an ASUS Micro-ATX mobo, and a 270W power supply. The motherboard has a 24 pin power input connection (#1 in the attached pic), and the power supply has a 20 pin power connector (marked #2 in pic) which is directly bundled with a 4-pin connector (marked #3). I can see that i can plug the 20 pin (#2) from the power supply into the 24 pin (#1) connector slot, and then additionally plug the remaining 4 pin connector (#3) into the remaining 4 empty pins of the 24 pin connector (#1), but not sure if that's what i should do.

In a completely different section of the motherboard, there is another 4 pin connection (#5 in the pic - it's kind of hard to see...partially hidden behind the gray cable). According to the motherboard directions this is supposed to be hooked up as well. I was going to use the other 4 pin from the power supply (#4 in the pic) to hook up to that.

Anyone know if what i'm looking to do is correct? I don't want to fry the thing before I ever get it booted up.

See pic attached:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Your intuition is correct. #2 and #3 are made to attach together to make a 24 pin connector out of the 20 pin for your 24 pin mobo. If you had a 20 pin mobo, you would just leave #3 dangling #4 is an additional power plug to provide more power to your mobo. It plugs in that socket #5

BB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one other thing real quick if ya'll don't mind - my motherboard (ASUS M3N78-EM) manual says they recommend using a power supply that is a minimum of 300W, but the power supply that came with the case I purchased has a total output power of 270W - should i be worried?

my approach right now is to just go with it and if it boots good, if not, then buy a new power supply i guess (ugh!)

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If your not runing any high draw graphics cards, and your PSU is of decent quality you'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Depends on the processor you are using. With a 45W - 95W you should be ok with the 270W power supply, but if you used a processor over 95W or a high performance video card you will need a bigger PS. The board itself uses very little power.

FWIW I'm running the same motherboard on my HTPC, excellent board !!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you have a link to the case? If its a good quality psu, imo u have nothing to worry about. The easiest thing to do is just try it and run a stress test (google prime95) for 24 hours, if it doesn't crash you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Which mobo is it? Are you sure it even supports a 125W CPU? Not all do. In your photo I can see "xxxW CPU Support" on the left side but can't read the xxx. What does it or your mobo manual say? Some of guys burned up the early 780G boards with 125 W cpus.

Just be sure before you proceed to power up.

BB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i fired her up (bigbird this was before i saw your post) - and she booted - got into the BIOS and tweaked around - all seems well so far -

here's a link to the case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121027

motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131354

and processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103773

I basically just went directly off that article that some dude posted on here a while back....5 best motherboards for a HTPC or something like that....where i saw a chance to upgrade on the cheap i went for it (that's where the beefier Athlon processor came in)

I'm waiting on my download of the latest Linux Mint Distro to finish, and checking my BIOS screen every now and thenj

Latest BIOS stats after it was running for around 15 min. with the case cover removed:

CPU Temp - 40 deg. C./104 deg. F.

MoBo: 35 degrees C. / 95 F.

Seems ok so far, course it hasn't been put under any kind of load at all yet...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now I will believe people when they tell me birds have great vision - big bird you were exactly right - i went back to the motherboard, and it supports up to 140W processors, so i guess i'm in good shape - that's a pretty sharp set of eyes you've got there lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts