AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again proving that a little knowlege can be dangerous, I started screwing around with custom settings in Powerstrip on my new HTPC to match my 9600 non-pro ATI Radeon pefectly to my Sammy DLP.

Everything had been working fine in 1280x720 until I switched (or thought I did) to 1280x702 in Powerstrip; upon reboot I got no video signal and couldn't use any of the hot keys (tried blind since I had no video feed) to get out of it. PC now boots up to the middle of the Windows XP intro screen and then blacks out (and it's not the 9600 VGA issue--tried hooking up a VGA monitor to it and the same thing happened).

Anyone know how I can start over again without being able to navigate at all? I can tell from beeps and such that the PC's still on; I just can't change the screen rez to be able to see anything. Is there anything I can do in the BIOS set up screen that will help? I'm able to access that before the screen blanks out.

REALLY appreciate your help...wife's getting WAY peeved at me.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Try hooking a regular monitor up to your computer. It's more likely to accept the signals you're feeding it.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Safe mode then. Hit F8 while it boots. I think that will allow you to change the resolution somehow (although I'm not sure since it boots in a pretty basic resolution). If you can't change it, I'd remove the display addaptor from hardware settings so that it gets recognized next time it boots. Disclaimer--That's what I'd try--not something I've tried.

Next time you get it running set it up in Powerstrip so that something basic is the default. Then Ctrl-Alt-S will allow you to go back to that setting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did you set a default display setting in PS? I am not at home and it been a long time since I played with PS, but I think to go to default may be ctrl/alt/s. Someone else should be able to give you the right key combo if that is wrong. Good luck

DRB

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None of the hot key combinations work (ctrl-alt-s, esc, backspace, ctrl-r) for some reason.

I'm playing around with safe mode to see if I can figure something out...anyone know how I can remove the display adaptor from hardware setting as karyk suggested?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager. Expand display adaptors and delete the one shown.

If you don't have My Computer on your desktop, right click on the desktop, Properties>Desktop>Customize Desktop.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Can you run Powerstrip from safe mode? If so, you might be able to change the resolution better than running Windows without powerstrip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...well, this is pretty weird. So I did what you said, de-installed the display (had already de-installed powerstrip as well--couldn't start it from safe mode), and when I rebooted (not in safe mode--regular), it looked like it was going OK, started recognizing that a new display adaptor was installed (this is all post boot-up), and then just blanked out on me again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crazy. Now it appears OK. On the next reboot following my last message, it not only booted up OK, but did so in 1280 X 720. CRAZY, because that wasn't even an available display option to me before I installed Powerstrip the first time. And with Powerstrip off the machine and the display adaptor removed and then re-recognized/installed, you'd think it wouldn't be able to display that.

Guess I shouldn't question it, and just let my wife watch Seabiscuit now...

Thanks a lot for your help. You guys rock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess here is where I can add my lesson learned. Since HTPC has been said to be 80% software and 20% hardware it would follow that most problems would occur when fiddling with settings or loading in software. After suffering early onset of male baldness from pulling my hair out over these things I had a eureka moment.

After the os install the first piece of software I load is powerquest drive image. I have a removable drive in a Vantec rack that I drop an image to before every load of new software or changing of settings. IF something goes SNAFU ( and it usually does) I can boot up and load the safe image to save the day. This removeable drive alos lets me transport it to my other computers fro regular image dumps.

Drive image and a removable harddrive was the best money I have spent yet on pc's. Note: It must be a hard installed drive ( or a seperate partition fro mthe boot). Since driveimage reloads the drive from "dos" mode there are no usb or firewire dirvers loaded.

Hope this helps some..

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangel
Crazy. Now it appears OK. On the next reboot following my last message, it not only booted up OK, but did so in 1280 X 720. CRAZY, because that wasn't even an available display option to me before I installed Powerstrip the first time. And with Powerstrip off the machine and the display adaptor removed and then re-recognized/installed, you'd think it wouldn't be able to display that.
I'm not positive, but I think it's because Powerstrip modifies your registry settings to allow the other resolutions. Thus, it doesn't need to run to allow your card to display the new resolutions. I suspect that you could probably even uninstall PS and everything would still work, but since PS doesn't really cause problems, it's better just to leave it installed and running.

Glad it worked. Now make sure that resolution or something lower is your default setting in PS. I don't remember exactly how you do that, and it's not exactly intuative, but you need to go to the screen in PS were it shows your video card and its default, and select a new default if it's not right. But let your wife do whatever she wants before you mess with it (and probably watch the Superbowl too!).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.