AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm connecting a NVIDA 9400 based HTPC via HDMI to a 50" plasma with native resolution of 1366 x 768. The instruction manual for the monitor describes 1024x768, 32 BIT, 60 Hz as the settings when connecting a HTPC. Further on, there is a table of specs for RGB Mode and HDMI Mode. 1366 x 768 is an option for RGB Mode but not HDMI mode. The pages I am referring to are here . How much will video quality suffer if I use a non-native resolution?

I am totally confused as far as which video settings to use (1) to fix the overscan problem that I have and (2) to get the best video quality for DVD and Blu-ray watching.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Apparently the maximum resolution your 1366x768 TV will accept over its VGA(RGB) interface is 1024x768 so you do not want to use that interface.

Therefore you want to send it either 720p (1280x720) or better yet 1366x768 or 1360x768 over DVI/HDMI if it will take one of them.

The drivers for the 9400 are capable of providing overscan compensation so that you can have the appearance of 1:1 pixel mapping which is beneficial when running PC desktop applications.

DVDs are recorded in SD 480i so upscaling them to to your TVs resolution will provide slightly better Qauality if you cant send 1366x768 instead of 1280x720.

With BR dvds halve of the detail has to be elinmated when downscaling the content from 1920x1080 to 1366x768 and again you will get slightly better quality if you can do that by sending 1366x768 instead of 1270x720.

If your TV will accept 1360 or 1366x768 over HDMI/DVD(many HDTVs will not) then you can use the custom resolution capability of the Nvidia drivers to create that resolution.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
What TV is it?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15580674

If your TV will accept 1360 or 1366x768 over HDMI/DVD(many HDTVs will not) then you can use the custom resolution capability of the Nvidia drivers to create that resolution.

Assuming, for the moment, that my TV does not accept 1366 x 768 (see page from manual linked above), what settings should I use? Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
720p

AFIAK I could determine the docuementation you linked to was not the maual for your TV it was the documentation for your graphics card. The specs for your 2006 TV are not clear as to what resolutions it will accept over what interfaces.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
AFIAK I could determine the docuementation you linked to was not the maual for your TV it was the documentation for your graphics card. The specs for your 2006 TV are not clear as to what resolutions it will accept over what interfaces.
This is a link to relevant pages from my Maxent MX-50x3 50" plasma monitor.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?a...=post&id=10777

The reason that the web address looks like Nvidia is the I took select pages from the owner's manual and uploaded them as part of a post on the Nvidia message board. I uploaded them along with this post as well this time. Sorry for the confusion.

Maxent_Specs.pdf 78.9580078125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Walford. Didn't the file that I attached to my last post work for you?

Anyway, I think we have established that 1280 x 720 is the best bet for this TV in HDMI mode, correct?

So, this still leaves witih the overscan problem. Th "Change Flat Panel Scaling" option in NVIDIA Control Panel is set to "use my display's build in scaling" and all of the options are grayed out. Similary, the H-Position, H-Size, V-Position and V-Size adjustments are only available in RGB and Component input modes. Switching to a VGA or component connection is not an option.

So, how in the heck do I deal with this??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts