AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very confused. I found a Eiki EIP-1500T for $599 brand new w/ factory warranty from a a business that is rated an "A" from the BBB. I was told it is a Sharp DT-400 with the Eiki name on it. Projectorcentral.com seems to confirm it. The 1500T and the Dt-400 *STILL* sell for $$3000-3500 on Amazon.

Can anyone give me some history here? Are they really the same? Why is it still $3500 for a 720P projector in 2009? I want to buy a HD65 but I can't find one anywhere near $599. Opinions please!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Why are there price differences? Because there's someone who will pay that much...

People were buying the DT-510 for about that same price about a month ago. The DT-510 is the successor to the DT-500 (which is what I own). The DT-400 is the model out prior to that. $599 isn't bad. Are you in a hurry to buy? If not, you may want to see if the live cashback deal comes back around & go with the DT-510 then.

As for what's best for you, asking the usual questions... What are you using it for? What room & light control do you have? etc...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some movies, but mostly HDTV sports and Xbox 360. Light controlled room but prefer a little ambient light. Not a whole bunch, but enough to see where I'm walking. What kind of picture does this thing give compared to a HD1000U? What I don't understand is how Amazon can charge $850 for the HD65 and $3500 for the Eiki/Sharp.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't bother make yourself crazy trying to figure out odd pricing.

I actually had a 1000U before my DT-500. There was a year lag between PJs (I moved to a new house), so I can't make any direct comparisons but I can say that I like them both. I think the Sharp gives a slightly more life-like image while the Mits was a bit brighter (not much though).

I've been using my DT-500 for movies, Wii and PS3 so far since it's not hooked up to cable yet. Even with ambient light, it looks good -- but it looks GREAT when it's dark.

What's your budget? And will a DLP fit your room (or do you need the placement flexibility of an LCD)?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
It's does a great job on a HT dark setting and daytime sports setting, I have one. The DT400 is the Sharp Z2000 with a more black case which I prefer. Sadly though I got mine for $300 with zero hours on it. I enjoy it, I tuned it with colorfacts and could give you some pro tuning numbers. For HT high contrast iris mode try gamma standard and plus it to number 3, push the red slider choice to plus 3. These small adjustments got me to a flat D65k and 2.2 gamma.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And do you know for sure if this Eiki EIP-1500T *IS* really a Sharp DT-400. The retailer told me it was and it says it on the DT-400 under the specs on Projector Central. The Eiki is what is actually for sale. Just want to make sure I'm getting the exact same performance.

Should I go for the $599 "Eiki/Sharp"?? Thats really all I want to spend for a 720P. Another place has a HD65 for $699 but its a refurb with only a 3 month warranty.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It is not uncommon to have products, including PJs, re-branded. I don't see a reason to doubt the authenticity of the statement on Projector Central.

If you feel that $599 is a fair price, then go for it. Personally, I think you could time a better deal, but it may take several weeks of hunting & comparing. While I thrive on saving a few $ (or a few hundred) by doing that, I know it's not for everyone.

I can recommend the DT-400 based on my positive DT-500 experience, but I would just hate to have you see the DT-510 on sale for under $600 in a week or two. Anything can happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know... Its just that this is the only place that has these for $599 new with a 3 year warranty...and they don't have many left. Since they are discontinued I'm afraid I might be waiting for a long time for something in this range if I miss out. And the Super Bowl is coming.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
The DT400/Z2000 is a higher quality machine. It uses the larger more expensive 720p chip and has power zoom and focus. The HD65 will be much brighter and has strong color saturation even though it's very bright. Choices choices choices

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The EIP-1500T is a rebadged DT-400 with the same power zoom/focus (which I personally LOVE) so you are saying it too a higher quality machine than the HD65?? Just check'n to see if I misunderstood.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seems like a great deal to me. Very flexible placement for a DLP and it has an HDCP DVI connection. New, with a 3 year warranty for $599...go for it, enjoy the superbowl.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any idea what screen gain I should use for this. I have a white 92" screen that came with the Mits HD1000u deal from Projector People about 2 years ago. Don't know the gain. Maybe I should check into that.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntmartin /forum/post/15505599

The EIP-1500T is a rebadged DT-400 with the same power zoom/focus (which I personally LOVE) so you are saying it too a higher quality machine than the HD65?? Just check'n to see if I misunderstood.

Yes it is, the HD65 does have it's brightness feature with high colorsaturtion. It's like this, the HD65's high point is the bright image that retains high color saturation. The DT400 when in bright iris is some what washed out a bit, but in closed Iris / high contrast mode it's much better for dark room dark movie watching. Color saturation goes up and the black level is nice and low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts