AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a modest home theatre on a pretty small budget. do you recommend any of the listed projectors?

Also, what would be the best configuration for a projector with as low a resolutions as these? I will be using a DVD player...should it be HD? or upconverting? and also digital cable..

Any help you can offer would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
on a budget - infocus in72 (not quite high def, but still very nice) with free screen from infocus website. priced below 600$ after rebate.

im still pretty new to the game too, but i have been on here a while checking things out, and doing my research... i think im going with a Mitsubishi HD1000U - 720p (high def)

·
Registered
453 Posts
What's the $ limit of your small budget? I'm guessing it is below the HD1000U threshold, but how far below & are you willing to save up another few bucks to get there?

Read the HD1000U owners thread & see how many times you see the words WOW and under 1K...

·
Registered
935 Posts
IN72 is effectively the same price as the 6100 and the 1200 and is a better projector. The HD1000U is even better but it costs significantly more (relatively speaking). For the same amount of money, go with the Infocus. If you can swing it, the Mitsubishi is an incredible bargain.

Jim

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad139 /forum/post/0

What's the $ limit of your small budget? I'm guessing it is below the HD1000U threshold, but how far below & are you willing to save up another few bucks to get there?

Read the HD1000U owners thread & see how many times you see the words WOW and under 1K...

You know, I want to say this all the time. "Small budget" is a relative thing. It obviously means two totally different things to two different people.

I'm not asking to delve into the personal finances of people but it they are going to make broad requests like this, we certainly need more information to help them make informed decisions.

Given an actual dollar figure to work with, there might be wonderful options out there that they may not have considered or may not even know about.

If you're gonna ask for a "buget" (economical) proposal, it has to be based on some number. It's irresponsible to ask us to help and not at least give us a range to work with and what pieces you expect to purchase with thos dollars.

-bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,everyone, for the responses!

My apologies for the lack of information. Iwas posting at about 1230AM here on the east coast...wasn't really thinking everything through...

So here's the deal....I'm just starting to put together a homet heatre...and don't mind buying used...but want to stay 500.00 or below...if possible...

I had purchased an optoma DS303, specs are available by googling the model number.

It was quite cheap and was going to sell it on ebay to raise some funds but was unable to...I did use it once with just composite out on the DVD player to the projector and thought it was pretty cool...looked good but wasn't blown away...

So here are the questions...

1. of the projectors mentioned in the title...are any of them recommended? (there are a number of them on ebay right now)

2. as I mentioned I used the Optoma with just composite...it says that it's HD compatible, so if I had a component video to VGA cable would there be a noticable difference?

3. Is this projector really capable of showing HD programming from DVD or cable?

If these questions have been addressed in other threads just let me know and I"ll gladly do the reading.

Thanks very much!

Paul.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I personally would get a used X1...can probably get one now for around $200 to $250 on epay....maybe less. They are very reliable, have the Faroudja DCDI processor which handles standard def TV very well through the S-video, and also puts up a pretty impressive HD picture from cable, satellite or over the air. Will it do true HD...no...but it will display it scaled to 800 X 450 pixels, and the picture looks pretty darn impressive for such a low rez projector. Will it display HD DVDs...I think so...but it does not have an HDMI port, so you would have to use component cables out from your dvd with a vga connector on the other end to go into the X1's vga port (component to vga cables are easy to find on the internet). But...and this is a big one...you would need an HD DVD player and HD DVDs...both are very expensive and would pretty much blow your budget. So, for a low budget setup, I'd go with the X1 and an inexpensive progressive scan SD DVD player (or maybe the cheap bud modable Bravo D1 for $35). Then I'd make my own screen (there is a whole forum dedicated to it...check it out). Ahhh...and then there's the audio...but that's a whole nother ball game...and a whole nother budget!!

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
For around $650 now you can get a factory refurbished Sharp XR10X. it has XGA resolution so you can play SD big and it scales 16:9 into a 1024x576 frame size. Not as good as 720 but a lot better than 480 IMO.

For 150 bucks over your budget you would have new with new bulb and warranty etc. it has lots of lumens and that's a plus if on a budget you are looking at a DIY screen. Makes the whole process much easier if you don't have to build a gain screen. There are simple wall paints that will work great with this projector and price will be below 50 bucks.

Below are a few screen shot thumbnails you can click on of mine. And there is a long running thread on the 10X

Lights on.

Lights out.

SD image screen is 72x96 or 120

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You can get an IN72 for under $500 after rebate.

If you get any of those projectors they are going to be used which means the bulb could go any second and thats anothe $300 on top of the price. Of the three you mentioned get the x1. Use component out on your DVD player--output 480i---use the special infocus component to Svideo adaptor and plug the adaptor into the special s video port. The S video port on the X1 accepts a full component signal. By outputting 480i, the X1 will use its high end faroudja DCDi deinterlacer.

But really, get the Infocus IN72

None of these projectors display HD. They accept an HD signal and then downconvert it to 480p.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
If you have to get a used or refurbed 4805 or IN72 over the X1. I used to own the X1 and even though I loved it for a while the 4805 and IN72 blow it out of the water for not much mroe. They both have much better contrast, blacks, dark detail, color saturation, accurracy, brightness, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh wow...thanks for all the help! Just one more question...compared with the other models mentioned how would the NEC MultiSync LT154 stack up? Do the NEC have any known reliability issues?

Thanks so much

Paul.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi /forum/post/0

Oh wow...thanks for all the help! Just one more question...compared with the other models mentioned how would the NEC MultiSync LT154 stack up? Do the NEC have any known reliability issues?

Thanks so much

Paul.

ok, stop looking at random projectors right now.

buy the infocus IN72, there is absolutely NO BETTER PJ for under $500.

it costs $600, but you $200 back in the mail. so it only costs $400 and is LIGHT YEARS better than every other PJ you mentioned.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Buy the IN72, new. The bulb is WAY worth it.

And, I agree with the "stop looking at random pJ" statement. The NEC is OLD technology. Can you find PJ's out there amazing cheap? Yes! But...

Let me put it this way -

I have a 3 year old Hewlitt Packard PC I'd like to sell. Its a Pentium II 500hz processor, 256K ram, with a 3 gig hard drive. No DVD or burner, just a floppy and a CD player (8x).

I'll sell it to YOU for $300! That's a THIRD of what I paid for it, just three years ago! And a $150 cheaper than an "average" PC at Best Buy today. It will run micrsoft Office Suite great!

That scenario is roughly equivalent to buying an X1 for $350, or the NEC LT154.

The IN72 with new tech, great processing, darkchip 2 contrast, and a new bulb and WARRANTY, puts it MILES ahead of anything you might find used in the 300-400 dollar range.

Remember - a PJ is only as good as its bulb. If the bulb has 1000 hours on it, it is approx 30% dimmer, and waning. And, it could go, leaving you with a $300 bulb purchase. SO, now for $650, you have a PJ and a new bulb, but old tech, a lesser image, and still no warranty.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi /forum/post/0

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a modest home theatre on a pretty small budget. do you recommend any of the listed projectors?

Also, what would be the best configuration for a projector with as low a resolutions as these? I will be using a DVD player...should it be HD? or upconverting? and also digital cable..

Any help you can offer would be really appreciated.

You are indeed trolling in shallow waters. Buy new with warranty for peace of mind.

Here's four AVS darlings that should work. All have an excellent reputation here and with a little shopping can be had for under six franklins NEW:

Optoma H31 480p DLP

Infocus 4805 480p DLP

Infocus IN 72 480p DLP

Sharp XR-10/XR-11 XGA DLP

Now you know. Don't sell yourself short.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.