AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I had a Samsung 6050 TV with this problem that I'm going to try to explain (also included a picture to this post). Its like going from left to right, 60% of the screen is calm and "normal" but after 60% there is a break that is much lighter for about 10-15 cm (almost a perfect rectangular shape, 10 cm wide, from top to bottom of screen) and then the rest of the TV screen, continuing right, is ok again!? So I thought maybe this is banding of sort and had a Samsung technician involved who said that this was a hardware failure with my panel and it would be very expensive to replace.

SO I bought this new LG55EG920V and watching cable TV and streaming Netflix (even older flicks) are no problem at all (there is a very very thin light break almost impossible to see beginning at the very same spot though magnified due to bigger tv as on my old Samsung.....?!?). But using PS4 and playing games (and I've tried a lot of different games) when gray or blue and lower brightness - the exact same problem occurs again at almost the exact same spot as on my old Samsung TV!!!!

Using XBOX360 creates the same problem that increases with gamma in game! Please look at the picture for this is kind of hard to explain.

To sum it up:

* My old Samsung LED had this problem in all kind of usage ... cable TV, gaming PS4, streaming Netflix and so on

* My new LG OLED set - its only, really visible during PS4 and XBOX gaming with high gamma (or gamma that is suggested by game) otherwise its just irritating when you know where to look

My thought is that this is some kind of banding - AND how the ... on the exact same spot on Samsung 6 and LG920 (curved even)?!? PS3 is even worse than PS4 when it comes to gaming in this issue.

Questions:

1) Please if someone could explain this extremely frustrating problem to me - is it banding or what is it? Running tests on youtube does not show any real issues!

2) Should I return the new TV set? If its like Samsung said its a panel problem...

3) Is there something I could do to fix this issue?
- Like using a calibration program on PS4?
- Buying a dedicated BD player instead of ps4? Worth it?
- Replace PS4 EVEN?

3) It seems you cannot buy a n e w TV set without some kind of problem, banding, clouding or bleeding and such? That really pains.

I´m geting mad and frustrated so I will post this on other forums as well, hoping to reach the right person(s) who could help.

Regards,
Mem

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,

So I had a Samsung 6050 TV with this problem that I'm going to try to explain (also included a picture to this post). Its like going from left to right, 60% of the screen is calm and "normal" but after 60% there is a break that is much lighter for about 10-15 cm (almost a perfect rectangular shape, 10 cm wide, from top to bottom of screen) and then the rest of the TV screen, continuing right, is ok again!? So I thought maybe this is banding of sort and had a Samsung technician involved who said that this was a hardware failure with my panel and it would be very expensive to replace.

SO I bought this new LG55EG920V and watching cable TV and streaming Netflix (even older flicks) are no problem at all (there is a very very thin light break almost impossible to see beginning at the very same spot though magnified due to bigger tv as on my old Samsung.....?!?). But using PS4 and playing games (and I've tried a lot of different games) when gray or blue and lower brightness - the exact same problem occurs again at almost the exact same spot as on my old Samsung TV!!!!

Using XBOX360 creates the same problem that increases with gamma in game! Please look at the picture for this is kind of hard to explain.

To sum it up:

* My old Samsung LED had this problem in all kind of usage ... cable TV, gaming PS4, streaming Netflix and so on

* My new LG OLED set - its only, really visible during PS4 and XBOX gaming with high gamma (or gamma that is suggested by game) otherwise its just irritating when you know where to look

My thought is that this is some kind of banding - AND how the ... on the exact same spot on Samsung 6 and LG920 (curved even)?!? PS3 is even worse than PS4 when it comes to gaming in this issue.

Questions:

1) Please if someone could explain this extremely frustrating problem to me - is it banding or what is it? Running tests on youtube does not show any real issues!

2) Should I return the new TV set? If its like Samsung said its a panel problem...

3) Is there something I could do to fix this issue?
- Like using a calibration program on PS4?
- Buying a dedicated BD player instead of ps4? Worth it?
- Replace PS4 EVEN?

3) It seems you cannot buy a n e w TV set without some kind of problem, banding, clouding or bleeding and such? That really pains.

I´m geting mad and frustrated so I will post this on other forums as well, hoping to reach the right person(s) who could help.

Regards,
Mem
Yes, Ive tried different HDMI cables as well....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

Now Ive tried my PS4 with same HDMI power cable with a friends TV Panasonic TX-68OX703E. In exactly the same game sequences no problem whatsoever in picture! Took the PS4 home again and same issue problem with graphics occurred. There are also a few other bright spots in panning only in gaming not in movies (Blueay player) or TV (cable). No one out there who has/had the same issue? Nothing in Google that Ive found.

Ive tried:
- Five different HDMI cables including 2.0A
- Three different sets of TV and problem exists but not on Panasonic (above)
- Every possible setting on each TV
- Different viewing angles
- Reboot PS4 safe mode and tried everything
- Tried with PS3 and same issue exist

PLEASE HELP ...:(:eek::confused::confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 3: Now tested my PS4 on a Sony 55" LED and a Panasonic 58" LED. On the Sony set it was possible to see small, very tiny suggestions of banding with PS4 but nothing on the Panasonic set! Thereafter I tried a friends PS4 console on my new LG TV and the problem is very visible. Tiny light white lines (about 6 of them) when gray, brown, green, blue screen (especially when panning). Netflix, 4K, BD and even ordinary cable TV looks very good on the LG OLED set! This shows when playing a PS4 game only. So my suggestion to everyone is to hook up a PS4 to your new TV for a good test! Hopefully LG will fix this issue without problem on my TV.... If anyone could explain in a technical way whats so different between PS4 game signal and PS4 Netflix session and so forth it would be great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts