AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at 3 receivers. Yamaha RX-V665, Pioneer vsx 919ahk, and Denon avr1610. I could get each 1 for around $350 and I dont wanna spend more than that. I like the yamaha cause of all its features but I have heard different things such as lack of power n things like that. The pioneer I like due to the USB port and heard good things except that it runs very hot and don't know if that is an issue or not. The Denon I like because from what I've read it probably can put out most power out of the 3. I am running Boston Acoustics MCS-100 surround sound and I have a Boston Acoustic 10SE subwoofer. I just need someone to help me decide soon cause I need a new receiver. Thank You for your help.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Go check them out for yourself. BB carries all 3 brands and even if they don't have the exact models in stock should give you some close impressions of each. I've never heard of heating issues with Pio receivers but any analog avr will heat up. As long as you give proper airflow don't worry about it with any model. You have pretty small speakers, using those you most likely won't tell a difference in power between these or any others in the price class in that reguard.

I personally would go with the Denon due to Audyssey and Dynamic EQ which I really REALLY like but it's all up to ones priorities. They are all good choices, good luck.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/16955681

I personally would go with the Denon due to Audyssey and Dynamic EQ which I really REALLY like but it's all up to ones priorities. They are all good choices, good luck.

+1 And to add, Yamaha and Pioneer are seriously overrating their amp sections with this year's budget models. Denon is still putting robust amps into all their receivers.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I agree Yamaha is over rating their V665, 90 watts at .9% THD (the older V663 had better ratings), where the Pioneer 919 is 120 watts at .05% THD and the Denon 1610 is 75 watts at .08% THD. I think when any AVR's rated power output is approaching 1% THD, the manufacturer is whistling in the dark and should really rate the output about 1/3rd lower.

It is kind of sad, the Yamaha has great features, but it should be considered a 60 or 70 wpc unit.

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/16956136

It is kind of sad, the Yamaha has great features, but it should be considered a 60 or 70 wpc unit.

Even less, I suspect, if you look at 5 channel fully driven measurements. The Pioneer is probably a 35W unit at best.

I'd definitely go with Denon here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts