AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to hook up my first ever surround system (and first ever receiver for more than 20 years). I have the Pioneer Elite 21THX receiver. I am having trouble connecting the speaker wire. I have stripped the ends of the wire; loosened the connector on the back of the receiver; placed the twisted wire in the connector and then turned the connector tight. But, the wire is loose and can be easily pulled out. What am i doing wrong???

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob /forum/post/18135704

I am trying to hook up my first ever surround system (and first ever receiver for more than 20 years). I have the Pioneer Elite 21THX receiver. I am having trouble connecting the speaker wire. I have stripped the ends of the wire; loosened the connector on the back of the receiver; placed the twisted wire in the connector and then turned the connector tight. But, the wire is loose and can be easily pulled out. What am i doing wrong???

You're not putting the wire through the center hole on the receiver speaker terminal, are you? You're supposed to put the wire through the hole that's on the side if it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 /forum/post/18136070

You're not putting the wire through the center hole on the receiver speaker terminal, are you? You're supposed to put the wire through the hole that's on the side if it.

That is exactly what i was doing. I feel like an idiot (although I did figure it out before I got your post). However, i wrapped the wire behind the post (I did not see the hole). I will re do it now. I also wrapped the wire around the terminals on my Def Tech speakers. Should there also be a hole on the side of the speakers' terminals? Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Actually, there may not be a hole on the side of the receiver terminals, but there definitely should be a hole on the side of the speaker terminals.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieRob /forum/post/18136650

That is exactly what i was doing. I feel like an idiot (although I did figure it out before I got your post). However, i wrapped the wire behind the post (I did not see the hole). I will re do it now. I also wrapped the wire around the terminals on my Def Tech speakers. Should there also be a hole on the side of the speakers' terminals? Thanks for your help!!

FYI, get yourself some banana plugs for your speaker wire and you can indeed use those holes in the center of your binding post nuts. Most binding posts are designed for a three way connection. Bare wire such as you're using through the post itself. A spade lug under the binding post nut. Or banana plugs straight into the hole on the binding post nut.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnefied /forum/post/18137450

FYI, get yourself some banana plugs for your speaker wire and you can indeed use those holes in the center of your binding post nuts. Most binding posts are designed for a three way connection. Bare wire such as you're using through the post itself. A spade lug under the binding post nut. Or banana plugs straight into the hole on the binding post nut.

agreed. banana plugs make things so much easier!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.